The Great Rebuild 2017'18

fizoxy

First post in a while...

I've struggled to muster any strength of feeling towards our squads over the last couple of years. I don't like the model of signing substandard players from the English lower leagues and hoping about 1 in 3 of them turn out to be useful and produce a small transfer fee. They've no interest in Motherwell and likewise I've no interest in their development and future.

It's a continual struggle to keep churning through them and just exist along the same lines indefinitely.

It's to the detriment of young Scottish players of our own which I find immensely disappointing. I've no real affection for the team anymore and my attendances have tailed off to the point where I was away out playing golf yesterday afternoon and didn't bother to check the score until hours after the match had ended. In the not too distant past, I'd never have envisaged that ever being the case.

There's no identity to our team on the park, they're 90% mercenaries who will be off the first payday they can get their hands on. Contrast it to our team of ten years ago...

Shut the doors now, lads. It's not worth continuing as a club.

Well now that Blyth is out the door, does that make room for Tuton? Apparently not.....

http://www.motherwelltimes.co.uk/sport/football/motherwell-fc/robbo-motherwell-won-t-be-signing-barnsley-striker-shaun-tuton-1-4525759

Robbo: Motherwell won't be signing Barnsley striker Shaun Tuton
image.jpgMotherwell manager Stephen Robinson oars his team on against Rangers (Pic by Alan Watson)
CRAIG GOLDTHORP
Published: 15:41Tuesday 08 August 2017
Motherwell manager Stephen Robinson has told the Motherwell Times that the Fir Park club's interest in Barnsley striker Shaun Tuton is over.

Tuton (25) scored as a Motherwell trialist in the 2-0 friendly win at Stirling Albion on July 1, but didn't do enough to earn a contract with the Scottish Premiership club.
With Louis Moult, Ryan Bowman, Alex Fisher and George Newell to pick from, the Steelmen already have good options in the striking position and so any move for Barrow loanee Tuton is off the table.
Robinson said: "We won't be moving any further with Shaun Tuton. We have four strikers.
"Shaun did well as a trialist but I didn't feel he was better than what we had.
"We would need to move people out before getting any more forwards in.
"We are trying to wheel and deal as we speak.
"If we manage to get a couple of people out we have our eyes on lots of targets. But we are not able to do anything at the minute."
One player who also won't be appearing for Motherwell any more is Jacob Blyth, who has been released just a few weeks after making front page national newspaper headlines about his alleged debauchery while on holiday with his reality TV star girlfriend.
Robbo told the Motherwell Times on Tuesday that no fresh offers had been received in recent days for the much sought after Moult, the subject of a recent near £400,000 bid from Scottish Premiership rivals Aberdeen which was rejected by the Motherwell board.
The Fir Park gaffer also said that there had been "no chance" of striker Scott McDonald re-signing for Motherwell after the collapse of his expected move to Australia this summer; McDonald has subsequently signed for Scottish Championship outfit Dundee United.
And the 42-year-old Northern Irish boss said that Motherwell defensive stalwart Stephen McManus faced a battle to get back into the starting 11 as players like Cedric Kipre, Ben Heneghan and Cahrles Dunne were currently ahead of him in the pecking order.
"Stephen is just coming back from injury and needs to fight to get back into the team," Robinson said.
"Other people are ahead of him.
"I have a brilliant relationship with Stephen. He is a massive help and has a great relationship with the younger players."
Robinson was speaking ahead of Motherwell's crunch Betfred Cup second round tie at Ross County tomorrow night (Wednesday).
'Well are going into the clash buoyed by how well they played in the 2-1 Scottish Premiership defeat against Rangers on Sunday, when they were victims of a controversial Rangers penalty award, denied a clear penalty of their own for handball and missed several scoring opportunities.
"We were pleased with the level of performance against Rangers," Robbo said.
"But we weren't pleased with the result.
"We felt we deserved a lot more. We didn't take our chances and decisions went against us.
"We need to take that into Ross County and make sure we get the result. We are confident of doing that."

Best for Blyth to move on, he was on a hiding to nothing after barely playing and then his antics.

The abuse on Facebook has started now, see if you are good enough friends with the players to be friends on Facebook, be a good enough friend to not leave them open to abuse by tagging them in posts... Send them a private message for fuck sake.

Edited by TwistAndShout

First post in a while...

I've struggled to muster any strength of feeling towards our squads over the last couple of years. I don't like the model of signing substandard players from the English lower leagues and hoping about 1 in 3 of them turn out to be useful and produce a small transfer fee. They've no interest in Motherwell and likewise I've no interest in their development and future.

It's a continual struggle to keep churning through them and just exist along the same lines indefinitely.

It's to the detriment of young Scottish players of our own which I find immensely disappointing. I've no real affection for the team anymore and my attendances have tailed off to the point where I was away out playing golf yesterday afternoon and didn't bother to check the score until hours after the match had ended. In the not too distant past, I'd never have envisaged that ever being the case.

There's no identity to our team on the park, they're 90% mercenaries who will be off the first payday they can get their hands on. Contrast it to our team of ten years ago...

Dear me , who clubbed you over the head with the nostalgia stick ?

i suggest you have a word with Doctor Who, see if she can sort you out with a bit of time travel back to the glory days of the 50s

Lost your affection for the club?

Take a look at the work being done to engage kids and local businesses.

Get Steelman to high five you next game you're at.

Go on, you know you want to...

• Like 1

The system benefits clubs selling young Scottish players, but not Scottish clubs buying them. So instead of signing Scottish players in their early 20s to develop, we're loooking cross-border.

It does look like we are putting more into developing our own, but they need to earn their place too. I'm pretty sure the manager and club would prefer to not have to sign external players, as it costs more.

As said above, it is rare for more than a couple of guys to make the leap from u20 to being solid first team players, and when they do the clock starts ticking until we sell them.

I literally still have no idea if Blyth was any good. Always injured and never really fit enough to show anything when he did play sparingly in the handful of appearances.

I wasn't holding my breath a for him to be good but I don't really get the utter hatred either. I'm glad he is offski as he seemed injury prone and that really is no use to us. Hopefully we use the wages well and get a solid striker in.

• Like 1

I literally still have no idea if Blyth was any good. Always injured and never really fit enough to show anything when he did play sparingly in the handful of appearances.

He really, really wasn't.

I think I saw him maybe 4 or 5 times with the 20s. Last time was his 10 mins on the park against Falkirk when he picked up his injury that needed surgery, the time before that was the 6-3 loss to Thistle where he opened the scoring with a complete fluke of a header but then proceeded to be comfortable marked out the game by actual 16 year olds who looked that they'd pitched up straight from school.

He obviously had some talent, as he was signed on a 4 year contract by Leicester when he graduated from their academy as top goal scorer.

Seems like many before him, his attitude got in the way of any talent he might have developed.

I wasn't holding my breath a for him to be good but I don't really get the utter hatred either. I'm glad he is offski as he seemed injury prone and that really is no use to us. Hopefully we use the wages well and get a solid striker in.

I am the greatest ever benefit of the doubt giver, I supported Sean Fagan, till the end, but no Blyth was not a player

Sad that his time here was a complete waste of time for both him and the club but glad he's out the door and we have a chance of bringing in a player or 2 that has an opportunity of making more of an impact or even contribution to what he did in his entire time with us.

My prediction is bowman out next with a defender,forward and another wee guy coming in on loan

Sad that his time here was a complete waste of time for both him and the club but glad he's out the door and we have a chance of bringing in a player or 2 that has an opportunity of making more of an impact or even contribution to what he did in his entire time with us.

My prediction is bowman out next with a defender,forward and another wee guy coming in on loan

If Robinson really wants Bowman out the door, why keep picking him for the matchday squad and then playing him?

Not saying you are wrong btw. Just a curious way to force someone out the door.

Wonder if his stint in the papers gave us enough leeway to punt him on more favourable terms.

This.

Not many amongst our support will be sorry to see him move on. Robbo has certainly shipped out players he doesn't fancy. Normally in these situations the player leaves by "mutual consent", but given recent events and the club's unusually terse statement I suspect the terms were not that favourable to him.

I hope he goes somewhere and scores for fun.

Nae good for us, waste of money for us. He didn't look too talented but there must be a poacher or something in there. Good luck to the lad lad lad lad lad lad lad lad lad lad lad lad lad lad lad lad lad lad lad lad lad lad

You ain't getting the 'shop window' ideal are you?

I get it fine. But we've shipped plenty of players out the door this window without giving them game time. I was alluding to the fact that maybe Bowmans days arent as numbered as some think. I have no insider knowledge though. If others do, maybe they should spill.....

• Andy_P locked this topic