The Great Rebuild 2017'18

fizoxy

Looks like former Baraclough target Jackson Irvine is heading to Hull for £2mil+.

Think of the sell on we could have had, eh? Baraclough, like Gannon, could spot the occasional decent player. Less of a psychopath though.

It makes me feel slightly better about the times that Irvine ran the game against us, mind you...

It didn't take much spotting in the case of Irvine. He was always going to be well out of our budget and really stood out for County.

From what I heard, the money which would have helped land Irvine was shelled out on another striker who subsequently flopped. We could not afford both.

Irvine signed for Ross County a month before Robinson signed for us.

I don't get your point.

Our playing budget allowed us to land Irvine on a higher salary than we offered or allowed us to offer him a lower salary and sign another striker. Talks with Irvine were at an advanced stage when Ross County offered him more and we then lost out as Mr Baraclough wanted to sign the additional striker rather than offer Irvine more.

Seeing this story popping up from various sources.

http://the72.co.uk/90280/sunderland-qpr-target-rejects-new-contract-push-move/

http://www.footballinsider247.com/powerhouse-wanted-rangers-rejects-contract-targets-last-gasp-transfer-sources/

ENGLISH POWERHOUSE WANTED BY RANGERS REJECTS CONTRACT AS HE TARGETS LAST-GASP TRANSFER – SOURCES
29th August, 2017, 7:56 AM

By Pete O’Rourke

Rangers target Ben Heneghan has rejected a new Motherwell contract as Sunderland and QPR line up last-ditch moves to sign him, Football Insider can reveal.

The centre-back has been the subject of interest from clubs both sides of the border thus summer, including Scottish giants Rangers after catching the eye at Motherwell since his arrival from Chester last summer.

The powerhouse defender has established himself as a key man at Fir Park during his 50 appearances, with Ibrox manager Pedro Caixinha among his growing list of admirers.

A well-placed source has told Football Insider that the former Everton and Stoke youngster has now turned down a new deal at Motherwell to thrust his future into the microscope in the final three days of the summer window.

The Scottish Premiership outfit could now be forced to cash in on Heneghan rather than allow him to leave for nothing in 10 months.

Heneghan’s current agreement is due to expire next summer after he signed a two-year contract upon his arrival.

Championship duo Sunderland and Queens Park Rangers keen to lure the 23-year-old back down to England.

Sunderland are in the market for a new central defender as they look to bolster their defensive options, while QPR boss Ian Holloway has been keeping tabs on Heneghan as he looks to strengthen his squad at Loftus Road.

Assumed it was 'The One That Got Away'.

Even before my time that one.

1957, so a few years before my time as well. Have seen the film though and it was a decent story, well told.

The use of 'Hardy Kruger" as a euphemism for " the one that got away" is not my invention. I saw someone else use it, quite liked it, and decided that imitation was the sincerest form of flattery. I can't remember who it was, but it may have been Delboy in "Only Fools and Horses".

I like Heneghan but would hate to see us lose him and Moult for nothing as they run down their contracts. If we get a sensible bid we should take it and move on.

Hopefully we have a plan involving a half decent replacement, if we are to be emptied by any offer for Heneghan. When we thought we might get a few more miles out of McManus and Heneghan's form was doubtful, I was all for letting him move on. Now McManus is done and Heneghan has looked better, we need to consider where his departure will leave the squad, as well as the cash we might bring in.

• Like 1

Heneghan has been excellent recently.

Will be a big loss if he goes as the three of them are building a very good understanding.

I've been his harshest critic in the past but he's had a very good start to the season for sure. Would be a shame to break up a partnership that appears to be growing well.

I still have my doubts that he has the abilities to make it in the English championship however

• Like 1

• Andy_P locked this topic