The Great Rebuild 2017'18

fizoxy

We will never know for sure unless the club's go public but was listening to radio Clyde and they mentioned the 10% sell on deal that Celtic had for Van Dijk and how it could be worth 8 mil to them if he went to Liverpool for the reported 80 million, so fairly sure most other deals will be the same i.e. the % of the total new transfer fee.

Not necessarily. Every deal is different...

Hold on ..... where do we get a cuddly, 70's gay cliche chairman to wheel out onto Sky Sports when Oxford fail to pay us at the agreed deadline (a la Swansea City)?

Don't forget the timeshare he owned on Frankie Howerd's wig.

_52838036_boyle_web110519.jpg

Frankie-Howerd-367948.jpg

• Like 1

The thing that annoys me is that if Heneghan was playing at a league 1 or 2 club in England, maybe even national league Blackburn would probably be having to bid 2 or 3 times that amount.

Based on what evidence?

Honestly not meaning to be controversial or sound like a stuck record, but there's little evidence to suggest that a league 1 club (even the top ones) has signed or willing to sign a CB for the figures you suggest.

Granted, as the deadline gets closer and things get crazier, it's not unfeasible that we may manage to get something closer to £500k eluded to in the press for Henaghan. But a number of factors would need to be at play. None of which, we fans are ever likely to know.

Agreed, championship clubs have more cash to burn and they would be the ones to have in the bidding war. But for a CB that most likely wouldn't walk into a starting 11 of an upper league 1 team, I would suspect Burrows et al will be hoping for a deal with a league 1 side comprising add ons that replicates the Marvin windfall.

2 rumours from the BBC gossip page this morning,

Motherwell stand to profit to the tune of £750,000 as former winger Marvin Johnson homes in on £3m switch to Middlesbrough from Oxford. (Daily Record)

Ben Heneghan is set to see out the remainder of his contract at Motherwell after the club rejected three bids from Blackburn, while striker Louis Moult is also expected to stay on at Fir Park. (Sun)

Going on what is being reported this morning across the press, I don't see any movement in or out from us today. Would be fairly happy if that is the case as we have a decent squad, with a bit of depth that we have not had a for a few seasons.

According to Sky this morning the sell on clause is 25 %

of transfer figure less amount already received so if true and figure was 650 would get £462500 now with additional £125000 add ons still very good deal just hope it goes through as not confirmed yet as far as I know .

I'm hearing...

- Heneghan will leave today, probably to Blackburn

- we'll bring two players in, one of which is Liam Grimshaw

That smells like McHugh to centre back and Grimshaw in midfield. Which I could possibly live with. Would prefer more cover at centre half though. Any talk of the position of the other possible signing...?
  • Like 1

I'm hearing...

- Heneghan will leave today, probably to Blackburn

- we'll bring two players in, one of which is Liam Grimshaw

Wouldn't we need to agree a fee for Grimshaw from Preston? Not sure midfield is our top priority mind you, would rather have some more defensive cover if possible.

According to Sky this morning the sell on clause is 25 %

of transfer figure less amount already received so if true and figure was 650 would get £462500 now with additional £125000 add ons still very good deal just hope it goes through as not confirmed yet as far as I know .

no, the sun is reporting that Motherwell could receive £750K if Johnson goes for £3 million i.e. 25% of the sell on fee, that's what the clause is a % of any future transfers and a bonus on top of what we have already received. So if the rumours are true we got anywhere from £400K to £650K for Johnson so taking the best figures we may end up with £1.4 million in total for a player that cost us next to nothing, a very tidy bit of business if all true.

Wouldn't we need to agree a fee for Grimshaw from Preston? Not sure midfield is our top priority mind you, would rather have some more defensive cover if possible.

He's been dreadful for them, so they may be happy to let him walk just to get rid of him.

No thanks, for me.

He's been dreadful for them, so they may be happy to let him walk just to get rid of him.

No thanks, for me.

Dreadful? He has played five games for them. I think he's been injured a fair bit so it might be a gamble there. Manager that signed him has moved on so I suspect he's surplus to requirements and that may be why fee might not be an issue..

Dreadful? He has played five games for them. I think he's been injured a fair bit so it might be a gamble there. Manager that signed him has moved on so I suspect he's surplus to requirements and that may be why fee might not be an issue..

Was going by what I'd seen on their forums and twitter, tbh, apols.

I didn't rate him much when he was here either, really. He's not better than Campbell.

Was going by what I'd seen on their forums and twitter, tbh, apols.

I didn't rate him much when he was here either, really. He's not better than Campbell.

I was quite impreesed by him although he's no world beater. I seem to recall he was a real worker with a competitive spirit and was able to play at full back as well.

As things stand, we need cover for the middle of our defence. If Heneghan goes, and we won't know until the window closes, then we'll need 2 more central defenders. McHugh must stay in central midfield.

I agree with you that we need another central defender as things stand and that McHugh should stay in midfield. However if Heneghan leaves that would leave us needing two central defenders. If two suitable players aren't available but we can find one defender and a midfielder good enough to take McHugh's place in midfield, it's a solution I could live with. I stress that I'd prefer McHugh to stay in midfield but sometimes you need to adapt to the situation you find yourself in and McHugh at the end of last season certainly showed himself a more than adequate central defender...

• Andy_P locked this topic