The Great Rebuild 2017'18

fizoxy

I'd have more respect for Robinson if he said to Campbell, "here son, brought in this guy who used to be the Man U youth team captain, he's got a few years on you but that counts for nothing with endeavour and drive. I want you to be toe to toe with him for a starting place. I have every confidence you're up to it. Go and prove it to me"

How do you know that is not what he has said to Campbell.... Don't get the 'respect' bit when you don't know what has been said.... great young talent but don't expect too much too soon....this board is good at turning on young players when they go through a lean spell ie Cads not so long ago

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Interested to know why Hartley is surplus to requirements at Blackpool after only just signing in Pre season. He seems to have had a good first half of season last year at Bristol Rovers.

Blackpool boss Gary Bowyer says that the players in control of the jerseys at present in fine form he feels a player would be better out on loan getting game time than sitting waiting for the chance.

He also feels that the transfer window should close with the start of the season but also admits there should be a loan window available after this.

I can see where he is coming from on all those points, I just wonder if there's an option to pull Hartley back in January if required.

Great first interview from Hartley lol. Told us to fuck off in the summer, now that he`s not getting a game he wants to play for us.

That wasn't quite the way I took his comments. We spoke to him a few times and were interested but he got a firm offer from Blackpool at a time we couldn't commit. So fair do's to the guy. He's been getting paid for the last few weeks and still got his dream move...... :)

How do you know that is not what he has said to Campbell.... Don't get the 'respect' bit when you don't know what has been said.... great young talent but don't expect too much too soon....this board is good at turning on young players when they go through a lean spell ie Cads not so long ago

100% spot on!
  • Like 1

So if I am reading this right, we have pretty much put together a new team of reasonably young sellable players, kept our best striker and also made £1.5 million in transfer fees and most of that on player not even on on our books.

Not too shabby Motherwell FC, not too shabby at all...

• Like 4

So if I am reading this right, we have pretty much put together a new team of reasonably young sellable players, kept our best striker and also made £1.5 million in transfer fees and most of that on player not even on on our books.

Not too shabby Motherwell FC, not too shabby at all...

Far too sensible for me. I'm off to support Accies instead, I need a club that's a shambles

If Moult has any aspirations of playing in England any time soon, he'd be off his head to sign a new deal with Motherwell. He'll be away on a free next summer.

If he gets back to his best, I wouldn't be surprised if someone was willing to pay a small fee in January, to take him then rather than on a pre-contract.

If we have a much better team to provide better service to Moult then he will score even more goals and teams are going to want to buy him. You would think that him and MFC could come up with some sort of contract that would increase his wages short term and benefit both MFC and him in the long run

During the summer 'Flow said they were looking for "creative ways" to fix the scoreboard. I'm guessing that was some sort of sponsorship arrangement. I don't know how expensive it would be to replace (I doubt it's worth fixing), but I can see why it's down the list of priorities.

I don't, in the same way Weeyin's post and hypothetical quote was too. However, I suggested it wasn't overly fair to suggest the Campbell be expected to step into a position vacated in 12 months time as was conveyed.

• Like 1

http://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2017/09/01/update-from-the-chairman/

Update from the Chairman
Friday, September 1, 2017

FirParkGV010917I.jpg

It has been hectic at Fir Park over the last few months, with the management team extremely busy reshaping the squad for the 2017/18 campaign.

We have seen a significant turnover of players, which isn’t exactly the way we want to do things, but was necessary in this instance to refresh the club and give us a renewed look and feel.

I want to praise the efforts of manager Stephen Robinson, Head of Recruitment Martin Foyle and COO Alan Burrows, who have worked tirelessly to move players on and recruit players in. Early signs are extremely encouraging, with the club having won seven of the opening nine matches, and with a Betfred Cup Quarter Final against Aberdeen to look forward to later this month.

Away from the pitch, the Board has also been faced with some decisions around players potentially exiting the club. Since late May, we have received eight separate bids for three different players, Ben Heneghan, Chris Cadden and Louis Moult, all of which the Board has rejected until we sold Ben to English Championship side Sheffield United yesterday afternoon.

The primary reason for the bids being rejected is that they haven’t came close to matching our value for the player.

When we assess value, which is always subjective, you look at the timing of the bid, the impact on the team on the pitch, the morale of the squad and supporters as well as our ability to source adequate replacements against the financial terms on offer.

With the exception of Sheffield Utd’s yesterday, each bid failed that test.

We have gone on record as saying this club will not just accept any bid placed, that we will be far more aggressive in trying to retain proper value and will only sell if we believe it’s in the best interests of Motherwell Football Club.

Only then do we believe we can get proper value for players, both now and in the future. There is a good feeling around the club at present. That doesn’t just happen, it needs to be worked at and we have a team who are prepared to do that.

To continue this good work, we will need your support as fans and ‘Well Society members, effectively owners of the club.

Over the next few weeks, you will see a number of initiatives launched by the Society designed to help continue with this policy, which I strongly believe is essential for the club to prosper in the long term.

Together, the club, its fans and its players can continue to grow and ensure a healthy, sustainable future.

The future is bright, the future is Claret and Amber!

Best,

Jim McMahon
Chairman

• Like 3

Late on this as I work strange hours (not as a taxi driver though)

Peter Hartley. I'd take a sneaky punt on him improving us defensively. Experienced player that's pretty much played 1st team football his whole career. That's why he's here, he's not prepared to sit around somewhere. Just that on its own, to me, shows an admirable attitude. He's also got a decent record of goals, one of my standard rants for a while was the lack of goals we get out of our centre backs. Overall I reckon moving out Heneghan and bringing in Hartley will be an amazing bit of business and will benefit the team. It remains to be seen but that's my prediction.

Liam Grimshaw. I was luke warm on him first time round, I felt he took a long time to really find his feet although he did put a few good performances latter. If he's cover for right back, fine. If he's now in front of Allan Campbell for a midfield berth it's another wrong turn in terms of youth development.

Overall though

1 - Held on to Moult

2 - Held on to Cadden

3 - Moved out Heneghan for an outrageous sum and brought in an experienced player with a track record

4 - Made a lot of dough off a player that didn't want to be here in the first place.

5 - Ditched Clay and Blyth

I think we look in better shape than at the beginning of the season but at the end of the day it's all about producing performances. We beat Hearts and that was great but everyone else has been beating them for 6 months so I think in the aftermath of the game some went a little overboard on the performance. I enjoyed it personally but I also realise that Hearts have been the worst team in the league so far in 2017.

We should be looking to beat Kilmarnock at home in the worst of circumstances but after we have games coming out against Hibs and Aberdeen and I think that's when we really see what we are made of.

• Like 7

Good message from the chairman. The feeling around the club at the moment is really positive - the manager speaks well, we've refreshed and rebuild the squad and while it's early days the signs seem positive. Most importantly the business plan is beginning to bear fruit and we've brought in a fair bit of cash.

Positive enough for me that I emailed to increase my monthly pledge to the Society this morning. Onwards and upwards!

• Like 1

• Andy_P locked this topic