The Great Rebuild 2017'18

fizoxy

There is no proof it is, however I would be disappointed if any player (never mind our club captain) was invoked in anyway in assisting an other club to come in for one of our players. Even if it was just an opinion. Regardless of how good a move it was for the club. Again, there isn't any proof.

I think there's a little blur of the lines here between wildly passionate fan world and the real world.

Football is an industry of networking just like many others. There's no corporate confidentiality breach in giving an opinion about a work mate to someone you know or in this case a potential employer.

I think it'd be niaive to think we haven't benefited from such conversations in the past.

There is no proof it is, however I would be disappointed if any player (never mind our club captain) was invoked in anyway in assisting an other club to come in for one of our players. Even if it was just an opinion. Regardless of how good a move it was for the club. Again, there isn't any proof.

You know we were actively TRYING to sell him though, right? Our club might well have instigated the call to get McHugh to talk Ben up.

• Like 4

You know we were actively TRYING to sell him though, right? Our club might well have instigated the call to get McHugh to talk Ben up.

i would like to think that that whatever scenario the call was made or taken that he had the best interest of motherwell fc whilst doing so. That's if it was even him at the other end of the phone.

I love that people are getting wound up by a phone call between two people who have worked together in the past for an opinion. :lol:

I know. It's almost like being a professional footballer is like having a job where people ask for references.

From the Evening Times:

Deadline day drama didn't bother Chris Cadden, who is living the dream at Motherwell

For many players who have been denied a move to England by their club, where the comparative salary on offer would be substantially higher than their current remuneration, their nose would be firmly out of joint.

But not Motherwell youngster Chris Cadden, who swears he is living the dream at Fir Park despite a deadline day offer from Oxford United being booted out by the Steelmen’s board.

Cadden was on under-21 duty on deadline day, and he says he has enough to focus on trying to perform for both his club and country to let speculation over his future affect him.

And, for the moment at least, there is nowhere that the 20-year-old would rather be.

“The gaffer phoned and explained everything that was happening to me, but it doesn’t bother me,” Cadden said.

“People were making bids, but I’ll just keep playing with Motherwell until I’m told otherwise and if that’s not good enough for anyone else then so be it.

“I’m loving it here. All I’ve wanted to do since I was nine-years-old was play with Motherwell, so I’m having the time of my life here.

“I live two minutes round the road, so I’m in no rush to leave.

“I was sitting in the hotel room on under-21 duty with Oli McBurnie, and he was getting calls like that as well. But it doesn’t affect me. I just shrug it off and concentrate on what is happening on the pitch.

“You can’t really worry about anything that is outwith your control, and that’s the way I look at it, so it

doesn’t bother me.

“It’s a great platform here with games against Celtic and Rangers, games on the TV and they obviously give young boys a chance.

“Look at Allan Campbell against Kilmarnock. He was unbelievable and man of the match for me, so the gaffer will give youngsters a chance if you train well and do the right things.”

• Like 3

I've seen Hartley in every game he's played so far and don't think he's put a foot wrong.

Add in the goal threat and the fact he sounds like captain material (him and McHugh were the ones lifting the team after going 2 down to Hibs) then you can only say well done to Robinson again for a quality signing.

This side just has that feel of being the perfect blend to have us dreaming of a level of success / glory this season.

In '91 we had a real mix of seasoned / accomplished players like Angus, Ferguson and Patterson, genuine class in the likes obviously of Cooper, and exciting young talent in Boyd , McCart and Phil.

Although coming from less illustrious clubs , we have the experience of McHugh and Hartley, the mercurial Moult, and two of Scotlands best prospects in Cadds and Campbell along with all the rest and a positive mentality.

Not saying they will go on to emulate their predecessors greatness, but the mix of players at different stages of their careers with different objectives and points to prove, the belief and fight for each other ethos that seems to be growing week on week , has me thinking that with or without silverware at the end, this could be a season to remember.

Still trying to keep a sense of realism about the team as its still very early days. The cautiously optomistic approach has paid dividends so far. However, we've just come through two of the toughest tests domestically and passed with flying colours. If things keep going this way its going to be increasingly difficult to keep a lid on expectations.....

Think Hartley is a tremendous signing. I don't really think Robinson has had a bad signing in him yet, unless of course it's the young Lithuanian, I take it his International Clearance is still midway across Europe.

I might be wrong, but surely that would have to have been in place, to enable him to play in U-20 matches?

• Andy_P locked this topic