The Great Rebuild 2017'18

fizoxy

If someone bids near 650,000 in January Moult will be off, and what an exceptional piece of buisness that would be

Hard to imagine we'd get that when he can go for nothing in the summer, but I suppose if someone really needs a goalscorer to keep them up or get them up...

Considering he could sign a pre-contract and go for nowt in the summer I would bite their hands off for 650K.

Exactly.

I suppose a team might pay a fee to make sure they don't lose out on a pre-contract, but 650k sounds high.

Unless, by that stage he is Louis "League Cup Winning Hat Trick Hero" Moult.

• Like 1

Got to remember it might not be our decision. If he keeps banging in goals at the rate he's doing this season so far, he holds all the cards come the summer. I expect he could command some serious wages by that point. Maybe he might not fancy going to a Preston North End in January and is quite happy to hold out to see what he can get come the summer.

Saying that, if he keeps up the current rate i expect bigger English Championship clubs will come in in January looking to throw money at someone who they feel might help them get promotion.

The Birmingham scout was at the Aberdeen cup game too.

there appears to be 6-12 scouts nearly every game recently

speculatively - how much is Moult worth to Motherwell January to May?

Scottish Cup Rounds:

Fourth Round 20 January 2018

Fifth Round 10 February 2018

Quarter-Finals 3 March 2018

Semi-Finals 14 & 15 April 2018

Final 19 May 2018

League place - last season was maybe easy , 11 or relegation.... , what does Louis mean to league place this season for those 4-5 months

If there is no intention on Louis part to sign the extension, which he is entitled to do. Then the club should make whatever cash possible in the window with hopefully a nice sell on clause. I think the replacement may already be here in the shape of sid the Lithuanian. Use the money being offered to Louis to get the gaffer on a better contract.

If there is no intention on Louis part to sign the extension, which he is entitled to do. Then the club should make whatever cash possible in the window with hopefully a nice sell on clause. I think the replacement may already be here in the shape of sid the Lithuanian. Use the money being offered to Louis to get the gaffer on a better contract.

Agreed but don't forget Newell as well, I think both have been brought in as medium/long term possible replacements

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

there appears to be 6-12 scouts nearly every game recently

speculatively - how much is Moult worth to Motherwell January to May?

Scottish Cup Rounds:

Fourth Round 20 January 2018

Fifth Round 10 February 2018

Quarter-Finals 3 March 2018

Semi-Finals 14 & 15 April 2018

Final 19 May 2018

League place - last season was maybe easy , 11 or relegation.... , what does Louis mean to league place this season for those 4-5 months

Here's Robinson's back-of-a-fag-packet calculation on what Moult is worth (from today's Evening Times).

Staying up is worth £1m and each time we climb a place it’s worth more. So hopefully he’ll be here until the end of the season even if we can’t agree anything in between times for a longer period.

plus Boyle & Hutchinson's percentage.

Surely thats still important though? Although some monies would go to them its still paying off our debt. If Moulty went for say £650,000 then, if rumours are true, Wrexham would net £130K. JB would get £120K, which might wipe out his debt altogether; Les would get £195K and we'd get the same.

You could say we'd collect £520K and pay off some of our debts.

All that said I'mnot saying that we should sell Moulty for £650K in January. That would be up to the club to work out transfer income against the benefit of him staying.

I'm not saying Moult will do this but I always suspect that players in the last 6 months of a contract - who are not trying to win a new contract or have signed a pre contract - tend to down tools a bit as they try to protect themselves from injury which might stop them from getting a contract with another club. For this reason I believe it's best all round if we cash in and sell him in January.

Re "Scouting for Moult": the Hibs scout was sitting just below me on Thursday and Billy "Whit you lookin' at?" Davies was in the padded seats on Sunday, sitting beside Gordon Dalziel (and another Mysterious Stranger). Anyone know who those two are working for at the mo?

An old 'Well lag who travelled with me on the EK supporters' bus in the 70s used to tell me that players who "down tools a bit as they try to protect themselves from injury" often get a bad one doing that. I'm not sure Louis would do that either and I think SR would be having a word if he did in any case.

If staying in the top flight is worth 1 million to us, he's probably earned us more than any sell-on clause already. This season's cup run has also probably generated more revenue than Aberdeen offered for him in the summer.

So while a sell-on clause would be ideal, I think Moult has already given us a massive return on a negligible investment.

Motherwell and Louis Moult have fitted like a glove. If he leaves for heehaw at the end of the season, and joins a bigger club on more money, then I think we can safely say that his signing and time with us has been a huge success...for both parties.

He joined us in June 2015 as a 23 year old from a very low-level of football, not only in standard but also in exposure level. We sold him the deal that if he came up here and played well, he'd be on the TV regularly, he'd be in the Sports sections of the national media on a weekly basis and he'd get to play against some very big clubs (we can't downplay the Rangers/Celtic effect in enticing players up here, its not a deal breaker but its something that just about every player coming from England mentions at some point in an interview, playing at full houses is something players want). He has a family to support and has took a punt on us, just like Marvin Johnson and Ben Heneghan did, and we are likely to be able to use these guys as proof that our sales pitch works, to our next list of targets.

If he lets his contract run down and leaves at the end of the season, and we don't get a shilling for him, then thats not a big deal in my eyes. He'll have contributed around 60 goals to the cause, and where would we have been without his goals in the past two seasons? The transfer system is a quirky situation sometimes, we get a good offer for a guy like Ben Heneghan (who I thought was reasonably good), while we struggled to attract much for Moult in the Summer, and we had the Randolph situation a few years back, where for me, our best ever goalkeeper went completely unnoticed.

• Like 6

And what a lovely sight that would be, to give Louis his standing ovation as he leaves for pastures new at the end of the season with maybe a cup medal to his name. But we are a fan owned business with not a lot of capital and as much as it had proved good business sense to have kept him this time around given the situation we are currently in. If the numbers make financial sense to let go at the next window, then off he goes. Just as he would have before the end of the last window had the cash came in. And life will go on. COYW.

Robinson revealed to SportTimes he is no closer to signing fresh terms to keep him at the club beyond the summer, but he is insistent there is no incentive for the club to part with their star asset at a bargain price.

We are no closer to it," he said of the new deal. Ive stated Louis will definitely be here until the end of the season. With what we would lose out of a deal it doesnt really make sense.

We dont get to reinvest it and we end up losing close to 70 per cent of the deal to previous people at the club [repaying loans to Les Hutchison]. It makes no sense to sell someone as good as Louis.

If we knew wed pay £50,000 for him and get 40-odd goals wed have snapped your hand off.

Staying up is worth £1m and each time we climb a place its worth more. So hopefully hell be here until the end of the season even if we cant agree anything in between times for a longer period.

Just watching Moult's presser this morning you can tell (as if we needed reminded) that even if he signed a pre-contract he'd be out there giving us 100% every week.

Also can tell there's no way he's signing a new deal, but we all knew that too.

• Andy_P locked this topic