The Great Rebuild 2017'18

fizoxy

At today's game, it was being discussed how Andy Rose has taken his time but has won over most of the support. Craig Tanner was also mentioned, as someone who in the first few games looked like he'd be a key player but who has struggled to stay in the team (despite good performances at Easter Road and against Partick). And Dunne's poor performance today didn't go unnoticed.

Got me thinking, we've had 15 games now. Enough time to fairly judge the players?

For me

GOOD

Hartley

Carson

Rose

Kipré

JURY'S OUT

Bigirimana

Tanner

Fisher

UNIMPRESSIVE

Dunne

Guys like Petravicius, Plummer and Newell haven't had enough time to judge them (although you could say the same about Fisher).

Carson and Hartley have been really impressive. Kipré has shown potential but clearly has a mistake in him. Rose is now starting to show his worth.

Bigirimana and Tanner have probably suffered from the form of Rose and Campbell. Both have shown good touches, have scored goals and provided assists but you wonder if they're not physical enough for the way we're playing at the moment.

Dunne has had good moments and he's been unfairly treated by referees on occasion but has consistently looked like the weak link. Plummer clearly can't be showing much in training if he can't get a shot ahead of him.

Thoughts?

I think thats all fair enough.

Anyone think were missing McManus, McDonald or Ainsworth?

Nope. I'd happily still have Ainsworth as a squad player but I doubt he'd get much game time these days.

Not sure we'd have the same team spirit if McDonald was still in the dressing room.

McDonald and Ainsworth, not in the slightest. Have probably brought in atleast 4 of our new players on the strength of there wages. McManus is still around giving out plenty of advice to the defence.

I admit i thought Ainsworth would be a big miss with his assists and a reasonable goal return but wow, Robinson has built a team that offers pace, power and attacking threat so much that Lionel would struggle to offer enough competition to guarantee he would be one of the three used subs. Do we miss him? Not really, and i say that as a Lionel fan.

Also agree that the dressing room and squad spirit has probably improved without McDonald.

The manager mentioned in yesterday's interview that we're talking to hartley about something more permanent, which would be amazing if we could pull it off.

However, it was also mentioned that we're talking others, so I was wondering who that would be. From the first team, we know that moult, bowman and rose are out of contract in the summer, maybe frear? There's also Adam livingstone in he u20s who there was a lot of talk about last week.

Robbo has talked up rose since day one, and he's definitely catching on, so I think he'll be the next to extend.

At today's game, it was being discussed how Andy Rose has taken his time but has won over most of the support. Craig Tanner was also mentioned, as someone who in the first few games looked like he'd be a key player but who has struggled to stay in the team (despite good performances at Easter Road and against Partick). And Dunne's poor performance today didn't go unnoticed.

Got me thinking, we've had 15 games now. Enough time to fairly judge the players?

For me

GOOD

Hartley

Carson

Rose

Kipré

JURY'S OUT

Bigirimana

Tanner

Fisher

UNIMPRESSIVE

Dunne

Guys like Petravicius, Plummer and Newell haven't had enough time to judge them (although you could say the same about Fisher).

Carson and Hartley have been really impressive. Kipré has shown potential but clearly has a mistake in him. Rose is now starting to show his worth.

Bigirimana and Tanner have probably suffered from the form of Rose and Campbell. Both have shown good touches, have scored goals and provided assists but you wonder if they're not physical enough for the way we're playing at the moment.

Dunne has had good moments and he's been unfairly treated by referees on occasion but has consistently looked like the weak link. Plummer clearly can't be showing much in training if he can't get a shot ahead of him.

Thoughts?

Inevitably some links are weaker than others, but for me, I don't think it benefits to put anyone down. It's a clearly a really good squad, they all fight for each other and pick each other up, and to a man everyone is contributing for the team and Robinson. What's not not to love just now?
  • Like 1

The manager mentioned in yesterday's interview that we're talking to hartley about something more permanent, which would be amazing if we could pull it off.

However, it was also mentioned that we're talking others, so I was wondering who that would be. From the first team, we know that moult, bowman and rose are out of contract in the summer, maybe frear? There's also Adam livingstone in he u20s who there was a lot of talk about last week.

Robbo has talked up rose since day one, and he's definitely catching on, so I think he'll be the next to extend.

I don't quite know how it could be arranged but yes, I suspect we're looking at Peter Hartley's position. Of the others, I think we might be speaking to Bowman and Rose and possibly Grimshaw. Louis Moult - who knows?

I see we are getting another £370,000 in the bank tomorrow for Celtic qualifying for the group stages.

Indeed and thats for last seasons qualification so more of the same to follow this time next year. Generating finance, improving the national team, raising the profile of the league - Brendan Rodgers has been terrific for Scottish football.

• Like 5

The 370k plus an enhanced TV deal was a major reason we really wanted to avoid relegation last season. Basically a pot of free money for a club our size.

Not that there's ever a good season to be relegated, but last season would have been one of the worst.

All the better to improve an already thriving and vibrant youth set up especially you see the sterling work Stephen Craigan has done with the under 20s over the last 2 and a bit years.

Guess Scott Leitch should get a bit of praise given he is the academy director so oversees all levels from under 17s right down.

Remember the 370k gained through UEFA can't go to the first team budget. It has to be used on the youth setup. Still good money though.

Bugger ,i thought we we getting a new score board out of that.

The 370k plus an enhanced TV deal was a major reason we really wanted to avoid relegation last season. Basically a pot of free money for a club our size.

Not that there's ever a good season to be relegated, but last season would have been one of the worst.

Wed have got the 370k for being in the league last season, even if we were relegated.

We should get the same or more next year too. Happy days.

• Andy_P locked this topic