The Great Rebuild 2017'18

fizoxy

That the Craig Moore you were waxing lyrical about a few weeks ago?

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

I said he might make it back to the top league. I'm not sure if putting him on a level with Rakish Bingham, Craig Curran or Eammon Brophy is waxing lyrical.

I was referring to Burrows putting a clause in his contract that he was able to activate by scoring on loan at Ayr which meant we had to extend his contract when McGhee had no intentions of playing him in the first team.

I think it's more understandable if it's an extension triggered by first team appearances. I'd say it's fair to assume that if he's in a position for it to be activated, it's because he's been consistently selected and therefore good enough to warrant the extra year.

Doesn't change the fact that I think whatever formation we play of however we set-up tactically...he's the one starting player I'm not convinced by.

Players who are out of contract next summer are: Griffiths, Hammell, Plummer, Dunne (1 year option), Watt, Hartley, Grimshaw, Rose, Moult, Bowman, Petravicius and Newell. Quite a few there. That said I doubt if Griffiths, Hammell, Plummer and Watt will be offered new deals. Moult will be offski. Of those I'd want to retain the services of Hartley, Grimshaw, Rose, and Bowman. Not sure about Dunne's position. Jury is out on Newell and Petravicius.

I would have thought Griffiths would be offered another contract as we will need him and I personally think he is as good as Carson.

I also see Dunne's 1 year contract extension is about to kick in as he has played enough first team games to qualify for the one year extension.

I suspect we will sell Moult in January.

If we can win two or three more games before the end of January we will have 30 points and then another three wins without Louis will give us 40 points and ensure we are safe from relegation.

If we allow him to go in the summer for free there will be no sell on clause. If we sell him in January we will put in a big sell on clause and if he goes to league 1 and does the business a championship club will come in for him and it will be kerching just like Marvin Johnston.

We cannot sell Moult without a proper replacement.

As much as I love Louis Moult, this is not a new problem for us. John Sutton averaged nearly a goal every two starts for Motherwell. Michael Higdon scored 43 goals in 81 starts. Porter was a similar story. These guys move on, we find a way of making it work, maybe not replacing with the same type of player, but we'll come up with something. And if we don't, then we replace the manager with someone who can make it work...
  • Like 1

Its clear that we need Moult to score goals. I don't know what our scoring record is when he hasn't played but suspect its not that impressive. Bearing in mind Wrexham will be due a wad of cash I would not sell him next month unless we receive an offer in excess of £500k. Thats an arbitrary figure of course. There's also the question of long term add ons too. For every league place we climb the reward is a minimum of £80k and that excludes extra gate money if we're doing well and a decent cup run. If he does move on then whoever comes in has to hit the ground running. In recent years many acquisitions, quite a few of them good, have taken a good few weeks to get up to speed and settle in.

So you'd drop someone who is a good foil for our top goalscorer?

I agree if we bring in a new striker we'll need to see who is their best striking partner.

Playing one up top has never worked for us, and I don't see that changing.

Id hope so, nowhere near productive enough imo. We have better players to build the team around.

I don't think Moult would have been as productive without him this season.

But as I said, if we have to bring in a new striker in Jan, we need to find the right combination again.

If we sell him for 2 bob and a ginger bottle in January then Wrexham get 25% of said 2 bob and ginger bottle, however I suspect we'd be looking for 25% of any sell on fee similar to Marvin .... and that pocketed us no less than 400k.

A sell on in January is not only about what he goes for on the day, it would be nice if a few struggling teams down south seen him as the answer to jumpstart their season or push them onto a playoff spot. The ensuring bidding war would be nice. However it would all be about the sell on. If he stays with us and we get an extra 200k for a league finish then so being it but we do get hee-haw else.

Best solution, sell him for 250k, loaned back to us for rest of season, 25% sell on .... we get that, I'll take Flow out to One Devonshire and hand him the menu.

Griffiths equal to Carson .... easy tiger

• Andy_P locked this topic