The Great Rebuild 2017'18

fizoxy

I think most fans are being understanding because they realise there has been a lot more going on than just Moult being out.

The amount of effort it took just to get to the cup final let alone play in it ahouldnt be underestimated. We followed that with a really punishing schedule so its no surprise there has been fall out from that period culminating in all the injuries we have had.

To be without your 5 best players is always going to show up in results.

Yet, throughout this run there have still been plenty positives to give the fans hope going forward.

The team spirit is still in tact, there have been some decent performances and Tanner and Bigi have stepped out of the shadows to show they have something to offer.

Yes we need our injured players back. Yes we need a replacement for Moult but talk of Robinson being sacked is way off the mark given what he has had to contend with the last 2 months.

Spot on for me.

What worries me is for the last few years we have always managed to bring at least one player through the youth ranks and into the first team each season e.g. Campbell/Cadden/Hall, but at the moment there does not appear to be any player that could be good enough, although Ross McLean and Adam Livingstone might fit the bill, but not sure if they will get the opportunity.

Most of our rivals are all seem to be bringing in academy players, even Rangers which was unheard of before, but we either do not have the players good enough or SR is scared to take a chance on playing them in the first team.

We have academy players out on loan - presumably with a view to getting them first team ready.

Hastie looked like he'd be the next one to step up, although I haven't kept an eye on his recent progress.

Newall didn't come through the academy, but is only 19. And Semple is supposedly the next big thing, but just a bit too young for first team development.

Dom Thomas should have been ready this year, but we all know that story.

Speaking to an Airdrie supporting mate the other night his view was that Luke Watt has impressed more than Hastie. They've moved him into a midfield role. Hastie has plenty of tricks but more often than not ends up running into a dead end. He speaks highly of the young keeper but is suspect at Cross balls.

• Like 1

Speaking to an Airdrie supporting mate the other night his view was that Luke Watt has impressed more than Hastie. They've moved him into a midfield role. Hastie has plenty of tricks but more often than not ends up running into a dead end. He speaks highly of the young keeper but is suspect at Cross balls.

My Airdrie supporting mates have said the same. They seemed genuinely surprised that Hastie was the one considered the better longer term prospect of the two outfield players and that many of us felt Watt was out with them simply to wind down his contract.

Robbos post match interview pulled no punches, saying that hes given some people chances and they havent taken them. hes obviously not impressed with fisher and possibly bowman (gave tanner some praise despite him missing 2 of our 3 chances). The only other player Id consider to be given a chance recently is big, or maybe grimshaw.

I think well be looking to ship out a few. There has been murmurings of surprise departures and/or players not settling.

On the back of tonights post match interview, I wouldnt be surprised to see Bigirimana, Fisher and Griffiths go. Maybe Rose too for different reasons.

Like Baraclough, Robinson seems to enjoy a transfer window. Hopefully this time, we go for quality over quantity.

Robbos post match interview pulled no punches, saying that hes given some people chances and they havent taken them.

Wherever we finish in the league, big changes are required in the summer. In the meantime we need to make as many changes next month as possible. Our defence is a bit stretched, but basically ok. We have no strikers worth the name (I except Newell from that comment). Central midfield needs toughening up with a bit of creativity thrown in. Too many fringe players and one or two first picks just haven't performed, despite being given chances.

I think well be looking to ship out a few. There has been murmurings of surprise departures and/or players not settling.

On the back of tonights post match interview, I wouldnt be surprised to see Bigirimana, Fisher and Griffiths go. Maybe Rose too for different reasons.

Like Baraclough, Robinson seems to enjoy a transfer window. Hopefully this time, we go for quality over quantity.

From what I know you aint far off with that assumption

If we get a replacement with a good scoring record and they can hit the ground running, then I believe that will make all the difference. Prior to all the injuries, we were a solid unit and genuinely think our recent run has a lot to do with lack of confidence in not having a Moult-type that the team can trust will take chances when they come.

If folk are shipped out, or we bring another few in, so be it - but would hope the club have identified their key targets for Moult's replacement and go for them asap.

It'll be interesting to see whether we try to sign some guys to play the ball on the deck or go all out for the high ball route that saw us by Aberdeen and Rangers in the cup.

For me we need to obviously sign two strikers but the next priority has to be a left back. We've seen so many different defences recently and our attacking play is terrible when Tait is advanced on the left. Teams are also wise to Dunne's lack of ability and are confident that when he has the ball he will give them it back under no pressure so we are either reduced to pumping high balls or trying to play it out a man down.

Fisher isn't cut out for this level and should be moved on. Rose and Grimshaw should join him, they both just run about at a medium pace and while at least Grimshaw makes challenges most of the time it's kicking the ball out for a shy rather than winning it.

Carson

Tait Kipre Hartley New LB

Cadden McHugh Bigi Tanner

Two New Forwards

Could be wrong but are strikers who are available in jan window usually either not getting a game with there clubs or not rated . Not holding my breath that the new strikers coming in are going to be our saviours. Be nice to know what level there playing at . Thats if there playing !!!!.

You would hope we wouldn't have agreed to sell Moult without a decent replacement lined up several levels better than Bowman and Fisher.

Aye right the January window is always full of bang on form strikers, who have knocked in a shed load of goals so far.. we will be taking a punt on somebody not getting a game for a league 2 or national league club or lower and hoping he turns out as good as Moult,

It'll be interesting to see whether we try to sign some guys to play the ball on the deck or go all out for the high ball route that saw us by Aberdeen and Rangers in the cup.

For me we need to obviously sign two strikers but the next priority has to be a left back. We've seen so many different defences recently and our attacking play is terrible when Tait is advanced on the left. Teams are also wise to Dunne's lack of ability and are confident that when he has the ball he will give them it back under no pressure so we are either reduced to pumping high balls or trying to play it out a man down.

Fisher isn't cut out for this level and should be moved on. Rose and Grimshaw should join him, they both just run about at a medium pace and while at least Grimshaw makes challenges most of the time it's kicking the ball out for a shy rather than winning it.

Carson

Cadden McHugh Bigi Tanner

Two New Forwards

Agree with most of that but can't see us signing two strikers unless we can offload another one.

For me, one of the few positives in this recent poor run has been the emergence of Tanner in the no.10 role. I've said it before, but I believe he'd be wasted wide left. If we can get Frear fit and back in the form he was in at the end of last season, he'd be in my XI. We need a no.9 who can play up top on his own with the ability to run in behind to make the most of Tanner's ability.

Carson

Cadden McHugh Bigi Frear

Tanner

New Striker

Robbos post match interview pulled no punches, saying that hes given some people chances and they havent taken them. hes obviously not impressed with fisher and possibly bowman (gave tanner some praise despite him missing 2 of our 3 chances). The only other player Id consider to be given a chance recently is big, or maybe grimshaw.

Sorry I just dont get what people see in Bigirimana, I actually think he was one of the poor summer signings. Yes he occasionally has an impact coming off the bench but is he honestly ever going to be good enough to hold down a first team place ? I just dont see it.

• Andy_P locked this topic