The Great Rebuild 2017'18

fizoxy

I think Rose does his best shift when hes got legs round about him, a lot of the stuff he does is the grunt work. Plenty of games where hes been the anchor for good performances.

Also plenty of performances he has offered the sum total of hee haw and looks like he is dragging a tractor about the pitch behind him.

Cant fault him for effort and agree he does some dirty work but recently that hasnt been there and in my opinion he has been a complete passenger.

• Like 1

I can't believe we haven't signed a recognised left back to replace Hammell. We should be trying to offload the likes of Rose and Fisher to free up wages for one. It's one of the reasons among a few that we haven't won any games recently. Any team we play against with a recognised right winger and we'll be in bother.

I'm surprised all the Rose haters still haven't noticed Robinson actually likes him as a player and has made him a regular starter. Obviously he is rated by the gaffer and there is zero chance of him being punted. He might choose to leave, of ocurse, but that's a different story.

• Like 1

Scottish media, eh? Cifti gives an interview with quotes like the following:

“All I want to do right now is concentrate on Motherwell, they have given me this chance to show myself.

“I will give everything that they have given me and look forward to the summer and whatever is going to be.

“I obviously have another year left with Celtic but I will think about it in the summer. Until then I will give everything for Motherwell."

“I tried everything I had. It has been up and down at Celtic for me but I am happy to be here to concentrate on Motherwell.

“The people around the club made me feel so comfortable in just one and a half weeks so already it feels much different to other moves I have made.

“I will give whatever I can, sometimes it will be goals, sometimes it will be assists, but I am not putting myself under the pressure of needing to score goals.

“Obviously that will be good but first I have to help the team.”

And the headline for the article in the Scotsman?

Nadir Cifti ‘hasn’t given up on Celtic future’

I can't believe we haven't signed a recognised left back to replace Hammell. We should be trying to offload the likes of Rose and Fisher to free up wages for one. It's one of the reasons among a few that we haven't won any games recently. Any team we play against with a recognised right winger and we'll be in bother.

Could be a valid point re left back if 31 january but still 10 days to go.

But if there is no one suitable available what would you rather we did?

This place would go into meltdown if we panicked and signed a dud.

Posts would then follow saying why hasnt Livingstone been picked and we are not giving youngsters a chance.

Same posters would round on the youngster if he was picked and then struggled.

Damned if you do Damned if you don't.

What left back that is available would you like us to sign?

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

• Like 2

What I don't understand is all the praise saying how good he is and got potential for Jack from Stephen Craigen and Mr Burrows, but we let him go!

Personally I did not think he was that good, but probabily do ok with Livingston and the championship.

I think you have to appreciate theres an element of decorum in those tweets

Cant really acknowledge his service while saying, top lad,lovely guy, not the best but we wish you well at Livingstone

• Like 1

Could be a valid point re left back if 31 january but still 10 days to go.

But if there is no one suitable available what would you rather we did?

This place would go into meltdown if we panicked and signed a dud.

Posts would then follow saying why hasnt Livingstone been picked and we are not giving youngsters a chance.

Same posters would round on the youngster if he was picked and then struggled.

Damned if you do Damned if you don't.

Exactly this

If there is no one better or even as good as Hammell then Id rather see us play the youngsters until the end of the season at left back and at least try and push through another player through the academy

Thats the ultimate goal for the club and hammy in particular so if we cant get a ready made in then thats what the 20s in my mind is for . A back up to the first team.

Seeing as none of us are paid to scout professional footballers and none of us have access to this magical database we apparently have this is a bit of a stupid question is it not? There are tens of thousands of footballers in Europe, many of which could/would move to us to put themselves in "the shop window" and probs not a single one with a name we'd recognize!

Although considering the result of our magnificent head scout and database is 2 questionable loan players weve apparently been chasing for 3 transfer windows, and a permacrock reserve striker for Portsmouth, maybe our head scout and database isnt all they are made out to be

Seeing as none of us are paid to scout professional footballers and none of us have access to this magical database we apparently have this is a bit of a stupid question is it not? There are tens of thousands of footballers in Europe, many of which could/would move to us to put themselves in "the shop window" and probs not a single one with a name we'd recognize!

Although considering the result of our magnificent head scout and database is 2 questionable loan players weve apparently been chasing for 3 transfer windows, and a permacrock reserve striker for Portsmouth, maybe our head scout and database isnt all they are made out to be

Guys like Moult were brought in as part of the scouting system. Just because Robinson hasn't found anyone he fancies in the past couple of weeks doesn't mean it's suddenly a failure.

My concern is that we don't have any deputy out and out left or now right backs with any real first team experience. If Tait or Dunne are out who replaces them?

That's why Robinson said he's looking for a right sided defender, presumably.

And Hammell is available at left back until the transfer window closes.

My concern is that we don't have any deputy out and out left or now right backs with any real first team experience. If Tait or Dunne are out who replaces them?

How do you gain experience if you don't get a chance in the first team?

I'd have no issues with Adam Livingstone having a run in the team if needed.

• Like 1

Think as proper full backs go, in the academy we have Livingstone and Armstrong on the Left and now Watt and Bowers on the right, with guys like Ross McLean, Grimshaw, Cadden, Dunne, and Frear playing games or at least having minutes played as a wing back when playing the back 3/5, in the first team or under 20s. Many of these replacements arent ideal, but Im not sure how able we are to afford having a good quality full back for each side on the bench in case Tait etc gets injured.

On the point about Jack leaving, its not like we have completely let him go for nothing, the club say theyve put a sizable sell on clause on the contract so well have some form of income should he be successful and achieve a move up, much like our dealing with Kilmarnock for Dom Thomas. Think thats the best we couldve hoped for for a young guy whos quite down the pecking order who was never really poor but I dont think he was great either. Wish him all the best though.

Perhaps if in sentiment only, that response has proven Clackscats point for him

• Like 1

No idea what ours is like but iv been out before with a top man from an EPL club. He could access their database over an app on his phone. What he was showing me was incredible.

I would imagine ours is an off the shelf solution rather than a custom build and it wont have the same resources behind it, but these things can be incredibly powerful.

How do you gain experience if you don't get a chance in the first team?

I'd have no issues with Adam Livingstone having a run in the team if needed.

I've never seen Adam Livingstone play so I don't know much about him except by reputation. Ideally, you'd want to introduce a promising young lad into first team action gradually to gain experience. Is he at the stage now where he could be introduced for a run of games, if Dunne was to be injured for say 3/4/5 weeks? If he is then all well and good and I'll respect your view on that. However we've seen decent young lads hung out to dry by managers in the past through necessity. Its a fine balance between giving young prospects experience and relying on them.

I've never seen Adam Livingstone play so I don't know much about him except by reputation. Ideally, you'd want to introduce a promising young lad into first team action gradually to gain experience. Is he at the stage now where he could be introduced for a run of games, if Dunne was to be injured for say 3/4/5 weeks? If he is then all well and good and I'll respect your view on that. However we've seen decent young lads hung out to dry by managers in the past through necessity. Its a fine balance between giving young prospects experience and relying on them.

I'm in the same boat in that beyond the couple of cameos towards the death of games in the final couple of games last season, and U20 highlights, I can't speak with any authority whatsoever on the capabilities of Adam.

What I would say though it is can often the case that through more accident than design that players emerge and stake their claim. Stevie Hammell for example when he deputised for the suspended Stephen McMillan all those years ago would not have been expected to play pretty much every week if fit for the next half a dozen years. Mark Reynolds is another example, a perhaps more jaw dropping example when you think that Bobby Donnelly was initially selected ahead of him.

Sometimes a player just needs that opportunity regardless of how it comes about.

• Like 1

The club reportedly has very high hopes for Adam Livingstone, which is great to hear. I suspect however, that even if he fulfils his promise, he is some distance away from being a regular starter.

That being the case, we really need to find a natural left back, preferably someone that is comfortable on the ball and can bomb up and down the park. Its a problem position that McCall, Baraclough and McGhee failed to address adequately. I doubt we will find the answer in January but hopefully its top priority for the summer.

Hartley to sign a permanent deal in next few days.

Robinson keen on another centre half and left back.

That would be a shock....... :spiteful:

Yes we do need another left back, but what about a right back? Maybe, just maybe Rose has answered that question.

• Like 1

Hartley to sign a permanent deal in next few days.

Robinson keen on another centre half and left back.

Given in his post match interview he stated that he had to be careful not to bring in players that would impede the likes of Livingstone, McGuire and Turnbull, I thought maybe one more signing at most. Maybe a short term loan til the summer in the hope that the young players are ready to step up then...

• Andy_P locked this topic