The Great Rebuild 2017'18

fizoxy

Makes sense for Aberdeen to put in an unsuccessful bid for a young talent after selling McLean to Norwich. Makes them look proactive and keen to improve their squad to their fans while they can paint us as the unreasonable bad guys when we turn down their six figure offer (three thousand eight hundred and sixteen pounds thirty five pence is six figures,I believe).

No idea what ours is like but iv been out before with a top man from an EPL club. He could access their database over an app on his phone. What he was showing me was incredible.

I would imagine ours is an off the shelf solution rather than a custom build and it wont have the same resources behind it, but these things can be incredibly powerful.

Aye. I'd imagine ours is somewhere along the lines of Instat or Wyscout (or both, I suppose).

Both useful, but its the same as every information source, in that it's only as powerful and useful as the person using it.

Non story me thinks. They won't offer what we want and he's got time left on his contract for a start. I'd think he'll want a bigger move come the time he moves away too.

My thoughts too. Cue the usual patronising outrage from Richard Gordon & Willie Miller that we're thwarting Caddens' development. I reckon we're looking for something like £700k + and he'll move south in the summer.

My thoughts too. Cue the usual patronising outrage from Richard Gordon & Willie Miller that we're thwarting Caddens' development. I reckon we're looking for something like £700k + and he'll move south in the summer.

Disagree. Think it was estimated that our development fee due would be circa 650k and most seem to assume this means we'd be looking for more than that as a result. We'd be more looking at 4-500k with significant sell-on percentage in order to boost the total gain. If we take the development fee then that's our lot.

Disagree. Think it was estimated that our development fee due would be circa 650k and most seem to assume this means we'd be looking for more than that as a result. We'd be more looking at 4-500k with significant sell-on percentage in order to boost the total gain. If we take the development fee then that's our lot.

I agree with your underlying reasoning Al. The question is how much more than £650K will we seek and get (+ a sell on clause). He will have one year left on his contract come the summer. The excess over £650K will depend on how much he's worth to us in a playing capacity in a season.

You can look/ask for however much you like. it doesn't matter if no-one's willing to pay it. There's no way we will get anywhere near 7 figures for Chris Cadden, and that's not a slight on the guy at all, it's just not the market we're in. We'll be focusing on sell-on percentages as opposed to the fee, that's where the potential for making money is. Sacrificing a couple of hundred grand in the short term, to play the long game.

If we can't deal in big fees as part of our small pond, drop our assets into the big pond and then make sure we get a cut.

• Like 3

Robinson's three at the back system can often lend to round pegs in square holes. We aren't on here discussing the necessity of Tait having to add more goals and assists to his game, yet he and Cadden effectively play the same position. One would probably describe themselves a winger and the other a full back, but neither a wing back. I'd say Cadden plays best on the right with a full back behind him, yet he's rarely had the chance to do that under Robinson. It seems we're often suppressing his individual potential in order for him to do the job the team as a whole requires.

• Like 2

Ive rated Cadden highly since I first seen him but in order for us to get £600k+ In the summer, I think he needs to start scoring more goals and providing more assists. Unfortunately, that wont be easy playing wingback.

You would hope that someone paid to scout players could see past that. I would hope that in the summer we would be looking for at least £500k on the basis of his age and his natural physical attributes. But as always, as others have pointed out, a player's value is essentially whatever someone is willing to pay for him...
  • Like 1

Ive rated Cadden highly since I first seen him but in order for us to get £600k+ In the summer, I think he needs to start scoring more goals and providing more assists. Unfortunately, that wont be easy playing wingback.

If he did that, he'd literally be the best player in Scotland.

It seems we're often suppressing his individual potential in order for him to do the job the team as a whole requires.

If we had a Neymar, Ronaldo or Messi in the team then yes develop a team round their individual abilities, but in the real world sometimes the way a player plays is not what the team needs, so Cadden may have to alter his natural game to suit the team as a whole.

• Like 1

Robinson's three at the back system can often lend to round pegs in square holes. We aren't on here discussing the necessity of Tait having to add more goals and assists to his game, yet he and Cadden effectively play the same position. One would probably describe themselves a winger and the other a full back, but neither a wing back. I'd say Cadden plays best on the right with a full back behind him, yet he's rarely had the chance to do that under Robinson. It seems we're often suppressing his individual potential in order for him to do the job the team as a whole requires.

Yeah, said it elsewhere also. 3 at the back works well for is in the main. However it restricts some players. Cadden and Frear, both do their best at wing back but they are not as effective as they are when playing as a winger/wide midfielder. It's probably restricting opportunities for MacLean as well.

Not doubting it but where does the 600k figure come from?

There's a formula that's used based on things like how many years a player was in our development squad, first team appaearances etc.

It also depends on things like which league the team that signs him is playing in.

Because Cadden has come up through the ranks, that counts in our favour.

It was the same formula that was used when Lee Erwin moved and landed us about 400k (from memory). It applies up until the player is 23 years old.

It's also what makes it near impossible to sign any youngsters from the lower leagues in Scotland as it puts them well outside the transfer fee range we are prepared to pay.

I don't have time right now to dig out all the details, but I found this piece that discusses the formula used in England (I think it's different for cross border, but gives a decent idea) It's also a little out of date:

The compensation due to the “training club” depends on the category of that club, with the best academies afforded a category-one rating, falling down to category three. The annual fixed fee for a player above the age of 12 who plays for a category-one club is £40,000 for every year they have spent at the club. For category-two academies that drops to £25,000 per year and, for category three, the fee is £12,500. If the player is aged nine to 11, the annual fixed fee is £3,000, irrespective of the category of the club.

That calculation was referenced in a discussion about kids moving from club to club when they were 13 or 14 years old.

There's a formula that's used based on things like how many years a player was in our development squad, first team appaearances etc.

It also depends on things like which league the team that signs him is playing in.

It was the same formula that was used when Lee Erwin moved and landed us about 400k (from memory).

It's also what makes it near impossible to sign any youngsters from the lower leagues in Scotland as it puts them well outside the transfer fee range we are prepared to pay.

In a nutshell yes. But the £600k figure only stacks up if he heads to English championship and there is no guarantee of that

It was the same formula that was used when Lee Erwin moved and landed us about 400k (from memory).

https://spfl.co.uk/docs/067_324__therulesofthescottishprofessionalfootballleagueasat24july201_1502440056.pdf

Section F. Pages 53-59

• Like 1

I agree I dont think Cadden has been as effective as he was earlier in the season. Think combination of teams tumbling to our style and his injuries aint helped but I think he just needs to up it a wee bit to secure a really good move.

• Andy_P locked this topic