The Great Rebuild 2017'18

fizoxy

So what your saying here is our manager hasn't got an eye for a player ,just say it as it is

No, that's not what I'm saying, hence why I didn't "say it as it is".

Carson, Hartley, Tanner and Kipre have been obvious successes, with the likes of Dunne and Rose also showing they are more than capable of doing a job for us in the team. Early indications on the January 3 are good too.

However, the fact that five of his summer signings, I consider deadwood already at halfway point is a slight (but not major) cause for concern. I liked Grimshaw in his first spell and wanted us to sign him permanently then and he is a decent player, but I think come May when he gets released, we may think of him as one of the most pointless signings we've ever made.

So what your saying here is our manager hasn't got an eye for a player ,just say it as it is

Griffiths, Grimshaw, Plummer and Petravicius were never intended to be out-and-out first team players. Plummer aside (has he even played for the first team), all the players have done exactly what's been expected of them as backups...if they came in and set the heather on fire then fine, you reconsider how they might fit in, but none of them have done anything more than what's been asked of them.

More importantly, the new depth in the squad now means that we don't typically have to resort to playing players out of position (as we had with the defence at the end of last season).

You could certainly argue that the difference in quality of the folk mentioned above compared to our preferred XI, combined with the fact we had to throw so many back up players in to plug holes in the run up to Christmas, was probably the biggest single issue in creating our poor run of form.

And none of them are Zak Jules, so I'm happy enough with that.

• Like 1

Regarding Fisher, I must say I'm torn on whether I'm critical that Robinson punted a guy he gave a two year deal to without ever starting him twice in a row, or pleased he quickly noticed a mistake, held his hands up and rectified it. I can't decide if getting rid of him reflects well on Robinson or not, as much as I don't think keeping him would've made any significant difference to our season.

I guess when you sign such a volume of players you can't expect a 100% hit rate, but I don't think I would categorise Griffiths, Plummer, Grimshaw or Petravicius particularly as "hits" either.

I share your mixed feelings on Fisher's transfer. I suppose we should take into account that Robinson has been in charge for less than a year and this is only his second transfer window. I suppose your question on how it reflects upon him will only become clear if the practice is replicated over several other longer term signings (by that I mean those signed on longer than a one year contract).

Who knows. Perhaps it's simply a case of timing. It may just be it's mutually beneficial for all parties concerned with the not insignificant factor that another team wanted him.

all the best to Big Alex, that'll be a flat to let down near my Mum then. Really Nice guy and although didn't score he never really got a proper run of games. Robbo signed him on 2 yr deal but as quick enough to slate his strikers. I am big robbo fan but he does like to pass blame onto his players instead of taking the rap. How many times has he changed it at half time because his original plan hasn't worked......oh aye......that will be the players fault. COYW

Petravicuis got a start at Firhill (ahead of Tanner) and was murder so he's obviously not done everything asked of him.

Unless he was asked just to give it his best shot when he wasn't quite ready for the step up.

Then he did do everything that was asked of him.

Petravicius and Newell were signed with a view to the future (but on one year deals weirdly enough) so although neither have had an impact, not a lot was expected. I think there were some injuries in there too.

Plummer was signed to compete for a place in the first team and hasnt done so when there were opportunities to get in the side.

Fisher was Robbos first signing, and it was probably on the back of his goals against us, but hasnt looked like any kind of finisher in his half season. He may not have had a run of first team games, but Im sure that if he was showing great promise in training wed persevere. One thing in his favour is that I dont think we expected to still have moult at the start of the season, nor did we expect bowman to find form, so that probably hit his form/confidence and he hasnt recovered.

I think most of us were positive when we signed him, and I wouldnt put him on the Paul Keegan/John hendry level of terrible strikers, and seems a nice guy, so good luck to him.

http://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2018/01/26/alex-fisher-leaves-for-yeovil-town/

Alex Fisher leaves for Yeovil Town
Friday, January 26, 2018

AlexFisherI.jpg

Alex Fisher has left Motherwell Football Club to join Yeovil Town on a permanent deal.

The English striker, who joined in the summer from Inverness CT, will go straight into the League Two side’s squad for the FA Cup tie with Manchester United on tonight.

Fisher made 19 appearances for the Steelmen and was part of the squad who made it to this season’s Betfred Cup final. However, he has found regular football difficult to come by.

“I just want to say thanks to everyone at Motherwell for making me feel so welcome,” the 27-year-old said of his departure.

“Although I only spent a short time with you all, it was a memorable time to be involved with the club.

“I leave with a heavy heart but also relishing the opportunity to play in England again, and potentially make my debut against Manchester United.

“Thanks to everyone involved with Motherwell. I wish you all the very best for the future.”

Manager Stephen Robinson said of the player’s departure: “We wish Alex all the best at Yeovil.

“He was someone we signed based on his performances in the Scottish Premiership last season, but unfortunately it hasn’t happened for him here due to the form of others.

“That can happen sometimes in football. Sometimes things don’t just work for boys at certain clubs.

“This move will give Alex the chance of a fresh start. Around this club, he has been the model professional and his attitude is first class.

“We wish him well for the future. We will now look to replace him before the window closes.”

http://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2018/01/26/alex-fisher-leaves-for-yeovil-town/

Alex Fisher leaves for Yeovil Town

Friday, January 26, 2018

AlexFisherI.jpg

Alex Fisher has left Motherwell Football Club to join Yeovil Town on a permanent deal.

The English striker, who joined in the summer from Inverness CT, will go straight into the League Two sides squad for the FA Cup tie with Manchester United on tonight.

Fisher made 19 appearances for the Steelmen and was part of the squad who made it to this seasons Betfred Cup final. However, he has found regular football difficult to come by.

I just want to say thanks to everyone at Motherwell for making me feel so welcome, the 27-year-old said of his departure.

Although I only spent a short time with you all, it was a memorable time to be involved with the club.

I leave with a heavy heart but also relishing the opportunity to play in England again, and potentially make my debut against Manchester United.

Thanks to everyone involved with Motherwell. I wish you all the very best for the future.

Manager Stephen Robinson said of the players departure: We wish Alex all the best at Yeovil.

He was someone we signed based on his performances in the Scottish Premiership last season, but unfortunately it hasnt happened for him here due to the form of others.

That can happen sometimes in football. Sometimes things dont just work for boys at certain clubs.

This move will give Alex the chance of a fresh start. Around this club, he has been the model professional and his attitude is first class.

We wish him well for the future. We will now look to replace him before the window closes.

Good luck to him, thought he always had a good attitude and hopefully the move works out for him.

It's good to see both Alex Fisher and the club have made positive comments to the media. It's unfortunate circumstances and bad luck combined to prevent him making much impact at the club. I too wish him all the best. Perhaps one fluky rebound off his arse or shin into the back of the net will give him confidence to go on and score a barrel load.

I would be shocked if any money was transferred. This will be a case of moving a wage off to get someone else in.

Fisher seemed like a stand up guy but it simply didn't work out, all the best to him.

Excited to see who we bring in as another attacking option. Not sure Fisher would be on that big a wage so I still think we might have room for another decent chunk in wages since Moult was offloaded. From what I understand we aren't paying a lot of Ciftci's wages at all.

Really wish Fisher well he couldnt hit a barn door for us but their looked like there was a player in there but had no luck and his attitude was good ,so I hope he starts to get some luck and the goals start going in fir him . Best decision for both parties imo

That's how I see it... I still remember that decent headed chance that he missed against Edinburgh City in one of the early games, and wonder, "what if?". He could have got that and been off and running. Wish him all the best.

Regarding Fisher, I must say I'm torn on whether I'm critical that Robinson punted a guy he gave a two year deal to without ever starting him twice in a row, or pleased he quickly noticed a mistake, held his hands up and rectified it. I can't decide if getting rid of him reflects well on Robinson or not, as much as I don't think keeping him would've made any significant difference to our season.

I guess when you sign such a volume of players you can't expect a 100% hit rate, but I don't think I would categorise Griffiths, Plummer, Grimshaw or Petravicius particularly as "hits" either.

I'm not quite sure what you're getting at Joe. I'm not critical of Robbo for punting Fisher, but hopefully it will make a difference to our season by freeing up a wage to enable us to bring someone else in. At least Robbo has accepted early on that Fisher wasn't a success and it was time to move him on. As for the wider pricture, Petravicius was signed as a long term prospect. Grimshaw looked good in his first spell with us and it wasn't unrerasonable to sign him again...on a one year deal. Plummer and Griffiths haven't worked out I grant you but all managers make their mistakes in the transfer market and Robbo is no worse than many of his predecessors. At least he's proved willing and able to move failures on quickly.

AN Aldershot Town midfielder has been sacked by his football club and will spend his daughter’s first Christmas in prison after thrashing a man with a belt in a drunken brawl.

Josh Payne, 22, was handed a 12-month sentence at Guildford Crown Court last Friday (December 14) for charges of actual bodily harm and common assault.

The court heard how Payne, of East Hundreds, Fleet, and his friend Stephen Bloomfield, 26, attacked two men outside Dusk nightclub, in Guildford, on May 7 following an argument inside the venue.

The pair pounced on Connor Somerville and Jack Scarlett outside the North Street club at around 3am, with Payne punching Mr Scarlett in the back of the head. He then pulled off his belt and began whipping the men with the buckle.

Mr Somerville attempted to escape but tripped and was caught by the pair at the junction of Haydon Place. He curled into a ball while Payne repeatedly flogged him with his belt, leaving him with a number of red welts in the shape of the metal buckle, while Bloomfield kicked him in the head.

Payne pleaded guilty to the charges at Guildford Magistrates’ Court on October 25, while Bloomfield, of Tennyson Way, Basingstoke, admitted a charge of actual bodily harm at the crown court on November 30.

CCTV footage was played during the sentencing showing the pair chasing and attacking Mr Somerville, though Bloomfield was also seen trying to restrain Payne.

Glenn Harrison, defending Payne, said his client only used his belt as a weapon because he thought Mr Somerville was about to do the same.

He said: “He can’t even look at the CCTV. He has genuine remorse and regret that he can’t turn back the clock.”

Mr Harrison said Payne’s daughter would be celebrating her first birthday on the weekend after sentencing and the idea of prison "filled him with terror". He asked the court to suspend a jail sentence so Payne could continue with his football career.

Andrew Horsell, for Bloomfield, said the self-employed painter and decorator was a man of good character who had not been out of work since leaving school.

Judge Christopher Critchlow said: “I have no doubt that this was totally out of character for both of you. I can see you are feeling genuine remorse and I am quite sure you probably can’t believe what you did.

“However, this was a sustained and violent assault on a person, with a weapon, and I must sentence in that regard.”

Payne was given a 12-month prison sentence for ABH and a four-month sentence, to run concurrently, for common assault.

Bloomfield, who broke down in tears as Payne was led away, received a four-month sentence, suspended for a year. He must also do 120 hours of unpaid work and pay Mr Somerville £250 compensation.

I can't wait to see his signing video.

• Andy_P locked this topic