The Great Rebuild 2017'18

fizoxy

Anthony stokes has been released by hibs. We must be in with a shout in taking him. I recon the dressing room morale and the leaders that we have in the dressing room should keep him on the straight and narrow

No thanks. Recuperating Ciftci is enough of a challenge for SR. I think Stokes falls into the polishing turd category.

As for Carson, the club's policy is attract players from lower English leagues here for regular first team football. If they perform, they then get the opportunity to progress to a bigger club and salary. Given the way Carson is performing this season, The Championship at least beckons for him.

As for Carson, the club's policy is attract players from lower English leagues here for regular first team football. If they perform, they then get the opportunity to progress to a bigger club and salary. Given the way Carson is performing this season, The Championship at least beckons for him.

To play devil's advocate,by that argument it would fulfil the club's policy to sell him to Celtic.

• Like 1

£500k is the number doing the rounds for Carson now...hopefully we have someone sitting by the phone waiting to come in

I thought Celtic had moved on to other targets when we made it clear that we weren't letting Carson go on the cheap? £500k sounds like a lot for a guy you paid £10k for in the summer, but as you say and the point I made to a Celtic fan at my work, there's no point in being the richest team in the Championship. It's only a good deal if we have a replacement lined up...

Closer to £750k

According to an article from Hartlepool local paper Carson transfer fee was £20k. £10k has been paid with £10k still to pay. The sting however is 40% sell on clause.

I guess if we were to get £500k+ that would represent good business under normal circumstances but the 40% would explain why we are hanging on for more.

It appears that Celtic have offered £375k with a 2pm deadline. £200k to lose our best player means Celtic will need to go and find someone else. Carson is worth much more than that for the next 2 seasons !

All the above posts make sense but if Celtic can eventually be fended of my concern would then be if Carson doesnt understand the reasoning behind our refusal to sell and we have an important but ultimately disgruntled player on our hands.

A 40% sell on cause plus a proportion of our take to pay off the debt to Les and John is not going to leave us with much to get a replacement with.

Any word on the Greek guy being a revelation and getting an extension beyond January?

Probably best if we just keep Carson for now.

It'll be interesting too to see the transfer activity of our rivals as they start to panic. No doubt the likes of Ross County, Dundee, Kilmarnock, St Johnstone and Partick will add last gasp signings. I'm not so sure about Accies as rumour has it that they offloaded Donati to cut costs.

According to an article from Hartlepool local paper Carson transfer fee was £20k. £10k has been paid with £10k still to pay. The sting however is 40% sell on clause.

I guess if we were to get £500k+ that would represent good business under normal circumstances but the 40% would explain why we are hanging on for more.

It appears that Celtic have offered £375k with a 2pm deadline. £200k to lose our best player means Celtic will need to go and find someone else. Carson is worth much more than that for the next 2 seasons !

It's also far too close to get a suitable let replacement in. Had this been the summer I think he'd be going for 500. But with the sell on and the fact we would be weakening the team the fee has to be a lot higher. Even 750 is not worth taking in my opinion.

Agree people might think 40% is high but we got a fantastic keeper for 10K upfront and if we sell at any stage the sell on fee will come from the fee we receive so very good bit of business imo ,always wondered why we got such a good keeper so cheaply .

Absolutely. It's easy just to think that agreeing on the sell on fee is based on how much we plan to then make off a future sale, but it can be just as much - and probably often more - about negotiating a deal at the time that the selling club is prepared to accept. If a 40% sell on clause was an integral part of what Hartlepool wanted for him and the club felt that it was still a worthwhile deal, then fine.

• Like 1

• Andy_P locked this topic