The Great Rebuild 2017'18

fizoxy

1 hour ago, Yorkyred said:

But this is Robinson’s style and why would he change something that works ? He obviously thinks on our budget this style of football gives the best chance of success. Hard to argue after this season really.

I dunno... if we don't win this weekend, the record books would show we finished 7th and won nothing, albeit with a footnote about making it to both cup finals and keeping 20 clean sheets. Plenty to be pleased about, but not sure we'd be looking back on it in years to come as one of our most successful campaigns either.

• Like 1

With Rose and Grimshaw signed up for another year, I would assume that might be the end of resigning current players, I wouldn't loose any sleep losing Plummer/Petravicus in the summer,  I am not so sure about Griffiths, Bigrimani or Maclean, I still think they could be decent pool players, but I put enough trust in SR judgement!!

8 minutes ago, numpty said:

I dunno... if we don't win this weekend, the record books would show we finished 7th and won nothing, albeit with a footnote about making it to both cup finals and keeping 20 clean sheets. Plenty to be pleased about, but not sure we'd be looking back on it in years to come as one of our most successful campaigns either.

Hardly shabby though, have Motherwell ever made two finals in the same season before ?

2 hours ago, steelboy said:

I don't understand resigning Rose when we should be looking to bring on Turnbull and Brown and move Cadden from wing back into midfield.

The guy has had a couple of decent games when we got a flukey lead and sat on it but if you have to break a team down or chase a game he's worse than a man down.

well big yin you will be sick when he starts on Saturday :woop:

The two new deals strike me as being sensible rather than spectacular.

We know what we're getting with both ability wise, particularly Rose - Grimmy hints at having a bit more potential to develop and show greater consistency  and they are both sufficiently youthful that their fitness levels aren't going to fall off a cliff during the summer.  It would not be unreasonable to think then we're going to be no worse off next season than where we are now with them.  And that's not to suggest where we are with them just now is a bad place.

That for me gives us a solid platform to develop from next season.

When you think of the injuries to the likes of McHugh and oddly enough both Grimshaw and Rose over the past couple of seasons I see it as no bad thing to have that depth in midfield. A depth that is hopefully going to be deeper still with the emergence of Turnbull.  In a ideal world we let David Turnbull continue from where he's finished the league campaign this season and we perhaps don't need one or the other. The likliehood is though he's going to be eased  in and out the side in much the same way Campbell was. Rose and Grimshaw are going to help with that easing in and out process.

I think it's interesting that they are both one year deals.  It doesn't suggest that there is a long term vision to build the midfield around them that's for sure. Rose I think will continue to be a useful player to have around the squad for as long as is required until the likes of Turnbull or whoever come on and push him further back in the queue, or of course he decides to relocate. Grimshaw  has really come in the last couple of months and I think faces a challenge to see if he can replicate that form on a longer term basis to earn an extended deal this time next year.

So aye, good solid and sensible planning to get them both tied up for another season.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, WellFlag said:

Really pleased both have signed. Grimshaw has came onto a game recently and seams to like being here. Winning combo.

Absolutely. 

I think Grimshaw's character has got to be commended here. He's gone from captaining Manchester United youth team and probably dreaming of stepping out at Old Trafford to no doubt seeing some of his team-mates going on to bigger and better things while he was getting relegated from the English third tier, then struggling to get a start at Motherwell. 

Other players might have huffed and puffed or come in with an ego, but he strikes me as a grafter who just absolutely loves playing football and is a good character to have off the pitch. Fair play.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

But this is Robinson’s style and why would he change something that works ? He obviously thinks on our budget this style of football gives the best chance of success. Hard to argue after this season really. Not always pretty to watch but again can we afford players with a better technical ability that would develop us further ?

Absolutely.  We can't compete with the city clubs in terms of budget and hence the calibre of player they can attract.  We have to concentrate on organisation and hard work and being able to compete with them physically.  Any real talent in our squad will come, in the main, from young players breaking through not from expensive transfers.  

I'm glad that Rose & Grimshaw have signed on for another year.   Our squad now looks more settled and that will bring consistency.  Its also a relativley young squad which will have acquired more experience since this season about to end.  However that will simply not be enough.  Every club needs to bring in fresh blood perhaps 2/3/4 new faces every year and whatever we do our rivals will not stand still.  Teams like Dundee, Partick and St Johnstone will all be looking to strengthen their squads.  We have to do the same.  

We have to bring a bit more creativity and pace to the side.  So, its more a case of quality rather than quantity.  Assuming that no-one moves on, which is most unlikely, I'd expect us to  be on the hunt for a left sided wing back, a centre back (not if Aldred signs on permanently), a creative central midfielder and perhaps 2 strikers (Robbo has already hinted he likes 4 first team strikers).  

All that said, Robbo and Keef will know exactly where they intend to strengthen and strengthen they will.     

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

r a left sided wing back, a centre back (not if Aldred signs on permanently), a creative central midfielder and perhaps 2 strikers (Robbo has already hinted he likes 4 first team strikers).  

That's what I would be after but it would surely leave us bloated.

For three centre midfield spots we  have McHugh, Campbell, Cadden, Tanner, Bigi, Grimshaw, Rose as first team players then Turnbull and Brown. 9 players without signing anyone.

2 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Absolutely.  We can't compete with the city clubs in terms of budget and hence the calibre of player they can attract.  We have to concentrate on organisation and hard work and being able to compete with them physically.  Any real talent in our squad will come, in the main, from young players breaking through not from expensive transfers.  

I'm glad that Rose & Grimshaw have signed on for another year.   Our squad now looks more settled and that will bring consistency.  Its also a relativley young squad which will have acquired more experience since this season about to end.  However that will simply not be enough.  Every club needs to bring in fresh blood perhaps 2/3/4 new faces every year and whatever we do our rivals will not stand still.  Teams like Dundee, Partick and St Johnstone will all be looking to strengthen their squads.  We have to do the same.  

We have to bring a bit more creativity and pace to the side.  So, its more a case of quality rather than quantity.  Assuming that no-one moves on, which is most unlikely, I'd expect us to  be on the hunt for a left sided wing back, a centre back (not if Aldred signs on permanently), a creative central midfielder and perhaps 2 strikers (Robbo has already hinted he likes 4 first team strikers).  

All that said, Robbo and Keef will know exactly where they intend to strengthen and strengthen they will.     

Agree with the vast majority of this. Robinson obviously has a style and identity and Grimshaw and Rose have been useful players in that. My only concern with Rose is his injury proneness. He had two lengthy spells out at Cov last season. I'm happy to admit I got the Grimshaw thing wrong, I'm probably on record on this thread a good few times branding his signing unnecessary. He has proved me wrong with a few vital performances in the latter stages of the season and deserves an extra year.

The creative midfielder, if we want one, could be Bigirimana for me. I think he does have the ability but he doesn't suit our plan A. I can't see him being on a wage that befits a plan B player, or being happy being one. I expect him to go a year early and if he does, I'd be happy to internally replace him with Turnbull rather than stifle his progress signing someone.

A naturally left-sided wing back and a quick striker would now complete the list, along with Aldred signing permanently for me. 

47 minutes ago, Joeboy said:

Agree with the vast majority of this. Robinson obviously has a style and identity and Grimshaw and Rose have been useful players in that. My only concern with Rose is his injury proneness. He had two lengthy spells out at Cov last season. I'm happy to admit I got the Grimshaw thing wrong, I'm probably on record on this thread a good few times branding his signing unnecessary. He has proved me wrong with a few vital performances in the latter stages of the season and deserves an extra year.

The creative midfielder, if we want one, could be Bigirimana for me. I think he does have the ability but he doesn't suit our plan A. I can't see him being on a wage that befits a plan B player, or being happy being one. I expect him to go a year early and if he does, I'd be happy to internally replace him with Turnbull rather than stifle his progress signing someone.

A naturally left-sided wing back and a quick striker would now complete the list, along with Aldred signing permanently for me. 

Signing a naturally left-sided wing back would stifle the progress of another Academy graduate...

2 minutes ago, WishyWell said:

Signing a naturally left-sided wing back would stifle the progress of another Academy graduate...

I'd say Livingstone would benefit from a season as back up. He is clearly gifted going forward but isn't ready to be starting left back.

Not having a natural left sided player has made it easy for teams to defend against us in open play. Get Tait back to right wing back where he is an attacking threat and sign someone who can do a similar job on the left.

• Like 1

Been saying this all season...Tait has been a great find for us, and while he 'does a job' on the left, he is obviously much more suited to the right. 

Signing a left-sided wing-back that isnt Hendrie will surely be the priority alongside a couple of strikers and potentially replacements for Carson and Kipre, if the rumours are right.

8 minutes ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

Signing a left-sided wing-back that isnt Hendrie will surely be the priority alongside a couple of strikers and potentially replacements for Carson and Kipre, if the rumours are right.

I reckon Robinson will see Aldred, Hartley and Dunne as his back three for next season. Obviously neither Hartley nor Aldred offer the same physical presence as Kipré but could live with that back three. There have been strong rumours as to who Carson's replacement will be. 

I tend to agree that a left wing back should be and indeed will be a priority...

25 minutes ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

Been saying this all season...Tait has been a great find for us, and while he 'does a job' on the left, he is obviously much more suited to the right.

It's interesting you say that. I actually thought Tait has played much better on the left-hand side despite being right footed.

I was a big critic of his defending earlier in the season but I must admit I was wrong and he has really pushed on since then. I can't remember when but there was a game or two where he switched to the left hand side and it was night and day. For me, he has been better since this switch. Perhaps it just concided with his performances getting better but that was my observations at the time.

I take your point though as I can see us looking at the LWB position as a priority for next season over Elliot Frear. Tait moving back to RWB would be a fit in that case but depends what happens with Cadden. I'm still not convinced we get the best out of him in the RWB position.

2 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

In all honesty when someone runs at Tait I still get the fear. He's a great player for us though.

I know what you mean. A classic modern full back/wing back - great going forward, not so great at defending.

I saw he is the best crosser of a ball in the Premiership though, according to the stats. 

• Andy_P locked this topic