The Great Rebuild 2017'18

fizoxy

Welldaft wellwell and gadgey's arguments are more entertaining that the rest of the thread.

As for the signings i think AF is and will be decent for us but i'd be very surprised if he gets to 18 goals which Moult has the last two seasons.I reckon if he plays regular he'll be a 10-12 goal player which means we really need another forward who'll get double figures or we'll be losing quite a few goals on this season.GB is the type of player you'd expect a Hearts or Aberdeen to be after so that's definitely a sign of ambition although i'll reserve judgement on how good he is til i've seen a few games.

Our midfield is looking decent but my worry would be where is the creativity coming from.GB and CMcH will likely be out starters in the middle and they'll not exactly gonna be assisting or scoring regularly so we'll need Cadden and Frear to maintain a more consistant level than they did last season.

If the rumour that we're one of the sides in for Scougall is true then I'd say that would be the area we'd be looking at for creativity. By all accounts St Johnstone are favourites to get him and he has his pick of clubs but if we've looked at him then a creative #10, a Scougall-a-like, to play off a main striker be it Moult, Fisher, Bowman or A.N Other would work quite well with a solid base of McHugh and Bigirimana behind him.

Wonder if the new roof will still have rusty old pillars supporting it or we getting an uninterrupted view.

I'd imagine It's a reroofing job not a new stand. Pillars to stay - but it might be u get to look at newly painted ones.

• Like 1

Hopefully moult can play a few games of the season before he leaves n he can provide us with some goals and we bring in a striker nearer the end of the transfer window

I disagree. It's better to get it sorted early and find a replacement when there are more free agents available rather than scrambling about at the last minute.

Also I wouldn't be gutted if he saw out his contract. Obviously we need transfer fees but saving money on replacements, a few league placings and a cup run could be worth more.

• Like 3

He's reported to have been left out the squad for much of the season because he fell out with Foran -that's the reason he wasn't a "first team player". Of course, you can read things into why they fell out but I don't know why they fell out - Foran spoke about bad eggs in the dressing room but they don't appear to have been playing at the end of the season which possibly rules him out.

I was talking to a Caley supporting mate last week about their team and Fisher (sure it was him) was dropped by Foran after a big fall out about a family member dying. Fisher wanted to miss a game as a close family member (parent or grandparent) died and their funeral clashed with a game. Foran told him no but he went anyway. Foran then dropped him but had to bring him in toward the end of the season

• Like 2

It's better to get it sorted early and find a replacement when there are more free agents available rather than scrambling about at the last minute.

If he's going to move I'd rather he did so quickly to allow us to source a replacement in our timescale in an organised way and not having to scramble about at the last minute after panic acquisitions. The cash will also come in very useful.

Very much doubt it - expect it to be a re-cladding job only.

There's a lot more involved in removing the pillars which would require replacement of the steel rafters and the columns to the rear. It would be a big job and would probably also require replacement of the foundations to the rear columns. Of course the rust could be addressed so you have clean pillars blocking the view!

magic rust free pillars ..lol

There's potential of money for moult, heneghan, and sell ons for Marvin this year, so we could be in a decent position financially. I'd agree with the above that it would be best for the club if they move before the season, so that we don't have a situation like last year where we couldn't replace Marvin in time.

I think the great rebuild has a good start with the first two signings, but the negative part will be the loss of Louis Moult which is inevitable as the board will be relying on this money to survive the rest of the season.

Its been said already by the Society that we don't need to sell a player to survive this coming season. However longer term, in terms of repayments and day to day survival, yes we do need to sell and Moult will be part of that planned income stream.

The issue is less that we need to sell for cash flow, but that they're in the last year of their deals. I'd love to extend them and keep them another season, but I don't think we can swing that.

Hopefully moult can play a few games of the season before he leaves n he can provide us with some goals and we bring in a striker nearer the end of the transfer window

Nah, I'd rather we knew what we were dealing with on the first game of the season and whoever replaces has had something of a pre-season with the rest of the team.

There is also the issue of the financial implications if Moult goes early. We might get enough to put some more into the wage kitty which would give us better options in the transfer market.

Don't know if I'm the only one here - but I actually don't think he's guaranteed to go this transfer window.

Alex Fisher is a journeyman . The type of signing we make which leads us to where we are .

Of more concern is Robinson's rationale in why we signed him. He says " I watched all of his games " . Really?

" His stats ..in how he finished the season...speaks for itself" Scoring half of your seasons goals against us isn't very inspiring given that even Blyth could have scored against us. In the other 16 games he scored once. And the season before? 5. None of which were for Inverness.

He says" he's familiar with the league". Well not from the park. He only started for the team that was relegated 9 times in the league and not once in any of 6 cup games. He wasn't even a first team player!

How this is meant to be an exciting signing let alone an improvement is frankly beyond me. It seems history is destined yet again to repeat itself for us.

We need journeymen.

This guy has shown he's capable at SPL level.

Interesting to see McGhee's signing record from last summer. McHugh has been a success, I reckon Heneghan has too - I feel that a general malaise on the team affected him and Cadden. Tait did well too, I reckon he has been underestimated and was missed in the latter part of the season.

Blyth and Lucas were a bust.

Clay and Bowman - jury's out, though I think some of you have condemned them to the gallows already.

So lets say that's 3/7 success rate. That's not bad.

• Like 1

Its been said already by the Society that we don't need to sell a player to survive this coming season. However longer term, in terms of repayments and day to day survival, yes we do need to sell and Moult will be part of that planned income stream.

The society should tell the club to budget better.

If the club comes back for a cash top up again this year the professional board should be read the riot act.

As far as I know, the goal of the society is to raise £1.5 million as a reserve fund for any future financial crisis ( ie relegation ). I've seen a couple of murmurings that the society now thinks its role is to assist in funding the club "because we are the owners now."

Nope - that's the road to ruin.

• Like 1

Alex Fisher is a journeyman . The type of signing we make which leads us to where we are .

Of more concern is Robinson's rationale in why we signed him. He says " I watched all of his games " . Really?

" His stats ..in how he finished the season...speaks for itself" Scoring half of your seasons goals against us isn't very inspiring given that even Blyth could have scored against us. In the other 16 games he scored once. And the season before? 5. None of which were for Inverness.

He says" he's familiar with the league". Well not from the park. He only started for the team that was relegated 9 times in the league and not once in any of 6 cup games. He wasn't even a first team player!

How this is meant to be an exciting signing let alone an improvement is frankly beyond me. It seems history is destined yet again to repeat itself for us.

More than a bit of truth in that. As I see it he'll be a squad player not a regular first pick. His record and statistics certainly doesn't seem overly impressive. However the mark of a good manager in my eyes is someone who can take an unfancied player, who perhaps wasn't used correctly by his previous club, and then get the best out of him; getting him to punch above his weight.

The proof of the pudding and all that......

We need journeymen.

This guy has shown he's capable at SPL level.

Did you stay off the bevvy last night? That's a very sensible, and correct, post.

The reaction, of some, to Fisher's signing reminds me of when we resigned Clarkson a couple of years ago.

Just because we signed him first, doesn't mean he will be first choice.

As you say, we need "journeymen" who know the league and are proven in it to an extent. We can't take a punt on English non-league players every time.

• Andy_P locked this topic