Scottish Premiership Motherwell V Inverness Caledonian Thistle Sat 15 Apr 15:00

Yabba's Turd

Obviously can't tell from a photo anyway, but what the heck...

d55f12fe-8668-4289-9535-81f3c499ab6f.jpg

That photo proves nothing, presumably that is before the keeper knocked it away and therefore the ball continued to travel into the goals before he did knock it away.

At the game I thought it was in but I had a similar view to that photo which isn't the best angle. I immediately looked to the linesman and was pleased to see him sprinting away. I could have been wrong though.

huge 3 points for us and all credit to the players because when it went 2-2,the heads could have dropped and we could easily have went onto lose the game but this sitting back and letting teams come onto us has to stop,we just dont look comfortable playing that way.it was great having moult back,having him and mcdonald together again should be a big boost for the run in.young campbell was oustanding,he should never have been taking out the team after his performance over at accies and after today he should be a stick on for our next game,he's impressed more in two games than clay has all season and pearson since hes returned.

• Like 1

A very topsy-turvy afternoon but all's well that ends well.

We couldn't have asked for a better start. Two up inside minutes and coasting. If Bowman had put his chance then we really could have made some serious in-roads into the other sides goal difference advantage but we seriously lost our way. Between Samson's saves and missed chances they could have probably added another two or three easily to the goal they pulled back.

But I thought we regained the initiative around 5-10 minutes before half-time and never really let it slide after that. We were unfortunate with the double save before the break and yes the equaliser was shambolic but I thought we'd started the half the better of the sides.

Really pleasing to see the character evident in the team when Caley equalised and as Tweed has rightly observed in the New Manager thread Robinson didn't mess around in shuffling his pack. Again as has also been said I certainly won't be losing any sleep if it is indeed proved our third didn't cross the line. The fourth so soon after was vital as it pretty much knocked the stuffing out them and it also removed the sceptre of having to hang on to a single goal for an agonising last few minutes.

Great to have Moult back and to see both he and McDonald score. Many have pinned our survival hopes on our two strikers abilities in front of goal. And this goals from midfield malarky! It'll never catch on....

Nice to be out of the play-off spot and to have edged further away from Caley as we head into the split. Having Dundee next at home gives us a fantastic opportunity to put some daylight between us and them. You can make an argument both for and against having a break between that game.

Having broken one hoodoo by registering our first win at home of 2017, can we now go on and win two games on the bounce for the first time since however when?

Massive massive 3 points so that's all that matters in the end.

I could pick holes in the performance till the cows come home but there were a few really good aspects including Campbell's performance and notable contributions from Moult, McDonald, Frear and McHugh.

Good to just enjoy the win for now and will post a more substantial analysis later.

Usual top quality BBC reporting.

"Striker McDonald hit the post with a close-range header, the ball trundled along the line and appeared to be scooped clear by keeper Craig Samson."

No wonder folk shout at Samson, 100 yards out of his goal....
  • Like 1

A hugely important win today and we managed to bag 4 goals. So, it was job done. We got off to a great start but then retreated into our shell and took stage fright. We didn't work hard enough and gave ICT the room they wanted to target Samson's goal. For quite a spell, either side of half time, our 3-4-3 formation just wasn't working. Tweed's words came back to haunt me "The 3-4-3 works if Cadden and Frear can get forward, it doesn't work if they get pinned back as if they do we can't get out and the midfield gets overrun". Both Frear and Cadden became old fashioned defenders having to make runs from deep. MacDonald retreated back into midfield leaving a gap between Bowman and Moult. Credit where its due Robinson then made game changing alterations.

Our defending at times was very poor but we did hit the net 4 times and that will boost confidence. I was impressed by young Campbell who played well and scored an important goal but he'll be sore all over tonight after taking a bit of a battering by bigger opponents. Frear and MacDonald also played well. Ainsworth too did well when he came on. Was Skippy's goal over the line or not? I don't know and its impossible to tell from pictures. We're more than due a bit of good luck and so I'm not complaining. Two more dubious calls in our favour will even things up. I was bit sick of BBC radio's incessant carping on about it. I don't recall a similar furore over our disallowed goals against Partick, Dundee and Hamilton. Oh, and I'd say Kat is correct about Inverness's 2nd goal. As the ball is played their player is fractionally offside. So, they weren't as unlucky as the BBC would have us believe. Over the piece in an up and down game we deserved the 3 points. Over the next fortnight we need to work on our defensive organisation and on getting players like Moult, Tait and Pearson fit. The latter is clearly carrying some kind of knock.

• Like 1

Delighted with the result and overall performance yesterday. Would not be Motherwell if we did not contrive to make a mess of a comfortable 2 goal lead.

That said massive credit due to both the Manager and players for getting back on top of the game at 2-2. My pal was doing his nut at their equaliser for defenders standing claiming for offside, but highlights show that the Caley scorer did look marginally offside. So we maybe got a LONG overdue break with the 3rd goal but then so did they.

I was so glad to see Moult back in the side. He does make such a difference just in the fact he causes fear in their defence and can always be relied to get opportunities to score. Sometimes his play is generally poor but he is an out and out striker and I doubt he will be with us after the summer sadly.

Special mentions to McHugh, Cadden, Skippy and Samson. Say what you like about Samson but he did make 2 or 3 very good saves inc the 1 on 1 which WAS crucial. Glad wee Campbell got MOM. I did think he was struggling a little in the 1st half but then so was the rest of our midfield. 2nd half and his goal shows his promise. I hope he now retains his place for the Dundee game.

Edit to add - Ainsworth made a difference as well when he came on. Nice to see an obvious positive impact. Such a frustrating player. Cannot make up my mind on Bowman - he is a nuisance up front but seems to lack that finishing touch. He has been a little unlucky with some decent saves from his efforts, but he should have converted a couple of chances by now. Sums it up for me if he could not even get his head on the 2nd goal from Moults cross / goal.

As always disappointed by a home crowd of 3500 for such a crucial game, but at least those who went along got their money's worth. 35 attempts at goal and 20+ on target. Hopefully we can kick on for the Dundee home game. Yet another crucial home game. Win that and puts space between us and Dundee - lose it and we are back to square one ! Get along to the game if you can.

As you say, the Dundee game is huge for our season! Lose that and todays result means nothing,win and he have a little breathing space. Id like to see us go again with the 3-4-3 against the Dees as they tend to line up 3-5-2 so Skippy,Moult & Bowman should pin their wingbacks back

Great 3 points. As other posters have said thought we had blown it after giving up a two goal lead but credit where it's due we didn't really let it affect us. After their equaliser, which was a wonderfully executed chip btw, we immediately went on the front front again and got our just rewards.

It's hard to be critical of any of our players after winning such a vital game but Pearson continues to disappoint. Henaghan also is struggling to cope physically with less than robust forwards at this level. Samson, brainfart at their equaliser excepted, had another solid game for us and had quite a few vital saves. Poor form sarcastically cheering when he catches a ball. Sure, I think we should be looking to do better with goalkeeping next season but there nothing we can do about that just now.

BTW the dubious McDonald goal makes him our highest scorer in the Premier League era (ie 1975 - now)

Scott McDonald - 66

John Sutton - 65

Steve Kirk - 63

Tommy Coyne - 59

Dougie Arnott - 59

Willie Pettigrew - 56

Cough. Really? Can't believe that stat hasn't got more attention. Well done Scotty.

Just watched the highlights and 2 points to note ICT's 2nd goal was offside and our 3rd was a goal every day of the week, freeze frame the video at 6.57 in, the ball is well over, good call from the linesman.

You must have a special telly mate I have stopped that film at 6.57 dozens of times and can hardly see the ball never mind whether its crossed the line