Scottish Premiership Motherwell V Inverness Caledonian Thistle Sat 15 Apr 15:00

Yabba's Turd

Just watched the highlights and 2 points to note ICT's 2nd goal was offside and our 3rd was a goal every day of the week, freeze frame the video at 6.57 in, the ball is well over, good call from the linesman.

That's the way I saw it too.

Good result which should see us safe from 12th and automatic relegation. Can't see ICT closing a 7 point gap with 5 to play given they now have 1 win in 23. Obviously we couldn't do it the easy way but not to worry, we got there in the end.

Have to admit I wasn't at the game but from the highlights Allan Campbell looked like he had a great game and popped up in much more attacking positions than I expected, given I thought he was very much a holding midfielder. He made a great decoy run into the box to open up space for Caddens goal, was in the box with Bowman when Moult's cross ended up in the net and then of course made a great run into the 6 yard box for his own goal. Essentially doing what Pearson should be!

Hopefully he plays again against Dundee to give us that extra energy and tenacity in the midfield that you just don't get with Craig Clay.

• Like 2

Good result which should see us safe from 12th and automatic relegation. Can't see ICT closing a 7 point gap with 5 to play given they now have 1 win in 23. Obviously we couldn't do it the easy way but not to worry, we got there in the end.

Have to admit I wasn't at the game but from the highlights Allan Campbell looked like he had a great game and popped up in much more attacking positions than I expected, given I thought he was very much a holding midfielder. He made a great decoy run into the box to open up space for Caddens goal, was in the box with Bowman when Moult's cross ended up in the net and then of course made a great run into the 6 yard box for his own goal. Essentially doing what Pearson should be!

Hopefully he plays again against Dundee to give us that extra energy and tenacity in the midfield that you just don't get with Craig Clay.

Totally agree , Campbell , Cadden and Frear gave us forward momentum.

I can see why experienced is also needed, but Pearo seems to be alarmingly off the pace. Injured? Lacking confidence? Narcoleptic?

On balance I'd probably still start him before Clay or Lucas

On balance I'd probably still start him before Clay or Lucas

If Pearson is going to play like that until the end of the season then I'd have Lasley back in ahead of the 3 of them.

Where is Lucas these days? No knowledge of his injury - seems to be in the wilderness.

After recent events we deserved a break on this one. However, unlike his feet the whole ball doesn’t look to be over the line.

2u5v1if.jpg

Can you please do a visual based on the angle of the sun and it's distance from earth within the context of the height of Fon Williams (taking account of his bent knees - you might need to go up and measure the length of his shins) multiplied by the angle between the shadow of the ball and the goal line (angle easily calculated using the shadow of the goalpost).

That'll prove it's in.

• Like 2

Speaking of Pearson, he needs to get his foot in - shat out of far too many 50/50s today when if he'd been braver he'd have saved the back 4 on numerous occasions.

I've thought this just about every time I've seen him since his return. Be it a pass, a shot or a tackle, he doesn't seem to go right through anything. He was never famed for being able to hit a thunderbolt but he hit a shot on Saturday that even the blundering Fon Williams could have dealt with like a passback.

Foran gave us a gift taking Vigurs off but the end result is all that matters.

Everyone who reads these boards is probably well versed on my feelings towards Iain Vigurs, but even looking at impartially, he doesn't seem to be the type of guy that you want in a battle. At the game on Saturday, I begrudgingly thought he looked tidy and was using the ball well, but I've seen an account on twitter showing a clip to show how badly he stood off Cadden for our first. The season before he came to us, he got done for by Law and Humphrey at Fir Park to cost goals and I guess for however good a passer he is, other aspects of his game let him down.

Have yet to see an angle that shows our third goal as being in, but after all the bad luck we've had in that regard, we'll take it. Even over the course of the 90 minutes it probably evened itself out as if you watch the MFCTV highlights, it pauses to show Inverness offside for their 2nd.

Our goal seemed an easy decision to make in real time, while there's looked a really tough one, however in the balance of justice both were wrongly given goals in my eyes and thus no one can have anything to complain about.

Good performances from a lot of our players on Saturday, particularly McDonald, Frear and Campbell. Even Ainsworth had a decent cameo. If we play like we did for the vast majority of that game, it would lead me to think we'd be safe (a long way from how I felt post Partick) but I was concerned at the ease of the goals we gave away, even if one was offside. Also, it seems like Ben Heneghan did his best Mark O'Brien impression for the second week running, giving away needless fouls and getting caught the wrong side of people.

Very pleased with the contribution Campbell made to the game. He had a shaky first half, with a few blunders (no more than Pearson), but put in a phenomenal tackle just before half time and didn't look back. His second half performance was superb, and great to see him charging into the box late for his goal.

I can only echo others that Pearson doesn't look to be himself this season. At this stage, I'd like to see how a centre mid pairing of Campbell and Lasley gets on. In my opinion, the big issue with Lasley this season has been that when he does harry and chase down, he's not able to get back into position quickly enough, and others he's played with (Clay, Lucas, Pearson) haven't covered for him effectively. Yes, he's slowed down a lot, but if he's covered properly can still be an asset to the team.

It worked better last season when he had an energetic Pearson in there to cover. Perhaps, given his performance on Saturday, Campbell can fill that role and allow Lasley to be more effective for the run in. It would certainly give our midfield a bit of (much needed) dig.

In my opinion, the big issue with Lasley this season has been that when he does harry and chase down, he's not able to get back into position quickly enough, and others he's played with (Clay, Lucas, Pearson) haven't covered for him effectively. Yes, he's slowed down a lot, but if he's covered properly can still be an asset to the team.

Absolutely. He might not always be able to get back into position in time, but at least he knows where the position is! Anyone who was at Firhill the other week will have witnessed how much better Lasley is than Clay. He's still our best midfielder in my opinion.

Very pleased with the contribution Campbell made to the game. He had a shaky first half, with a few blunders (no more than Pearson), but put in a phenomenal tackle just before half time and didn't look back. His second half performance was superb, and great to see him charging into the box late for his goal.

I can only echo others that Pearson doesn't look to be himself this season. At this stage, I'd like to see how a centre mid pairing of Campbell and Lasley gets on. In my opinion, the big issue with Lasley this season has been that when he does harry and chase down, he's not able to get back into position quickly enough, and others he's played with (Clay, Lucas, Pearson) haven't covered for him effectively. Yes, he's slowed down a lot, but if he's covered properly can still be an asset to the team.

It worked better last season when he had an energetic Pearson in there to cover. Perhaps, given his performance on Saturday, Campbell can fill that role and allow Lasley to be more effective for the run in. It would certainly give our midfield a bit of (much needed) dig.

Agree. I think Lasley is still an effective player with the play in front of him. He doesn't have the legs to run back after people though.

Agree. I think Lasley is still an effective player with the play in front of him. He doesn't have the legs to run back after people though.

The march of time has robbed Keith of his prime asset , the ability to recover quickly from making full blooded tackles. Just no longer within his capability. Sad , but inevitable. Time to move on, cameo substitute appearances and a gentle bow out in May, best all round.

A fabulous servant but all good things come to an end.

• Like 2

Over the moon to get a win but made hard work of it. Couldn't have asked for a better start with the 2 goals. Maybe natural to react to this in the way we did but I felt for the rest of the half we took the foot off the gas and let Inverness control the game. My biggest grievance was with us sitting far too deep and standing off ICT. For me this has been one of the biggest problems this season dating back to the game at Fir Park against Celtic. I'm not sure if this is a hangover from McGhee's 'counter attacking' tactics or what but it results in us failing to have any dominance over the opposition.

Second half was night and day, I thought we played excellent and really took the game by the scruff of the neck. The main factor for me was the improvement in the midfield from the first half, I didn't think Campbell or Pearson done enough first half but in the second half Campbell was outstanding. I thought second half Pearson done alot more than some are making out but agree he is still some way off the pace at times. Frear is really looking like a find and I thought Ainsworth when he came on made a real difference in stretching the play wide. Another observation, Moult despite being not 100% fit won near enough every 50/50 he was in. The guy's workrate is first class. Unfortunately I think this will be his last few games with the club. I heard some rumblings about Bowman but I really like him, thought he added good running and a physical presence. Technically not the best but I think he could turn out to be a decent find. Finally, for me if we didn't have Carl McHugh at the club the last few games I think we would lose a lot more goals than we have. The amount of headers/tackles this guy wins against guys double his side is incredible. If we can get him in midfield next year I think he could be a future captain.

• Like 2

Elliot Frear is great IMO

Aye, it's a pity we ran out of time to sign him during the summer window. I know one player doesn't make a team, but as a straight swap for Marv, I think he'd have made a positive difference to our season.