Bottom Six Fixtures

middleeastdave

• Saturday 29th April (3pm KO): vs Dundee (H)
  • Saturday 6th May (3pm KO) vs Ross County (H)
  • Saturday 13th May (3pm KO) vs Hamilton (A)
  • Tuesday 16th May (7.45pm KO) vs Kilmarnock (H)
  • Saturday 20th May (3pm KO) vs Inverness CT (A)

OK Motherwell players, over to you now......

The fixtures have been kind, it’s now up to us to not muck it up.

Kind? They have given us absolutely nothing to complain about regarding number of home games or scheduling.

How is that kind?

I wanted to read 50 posts about what a fix it is and how we always get shafted. Now we'll need to focus on the games.

It's an outrage!

• Like 3

The only other feasible way to do that is to play 44 games a season, which seems a tad overkill. Unless you are wanting to scrap the 12 team format, which is a whole other can of worms. Personally I like the split tbh.

Yes,

I think the current set up works well in terms of keeping most teams involved throughout the season - either for Europe, a Top 6 place or relegation. However the price of it is the fixture imbalance. What's more important to you?

Personally for me its the general set up but I understand why people don't like it and see it as being unfair.

However I don't really see any way round it without making things worse overall. No one wants a 44 game season surely? And I just don't think we have enough professional clubs to go to the 16 team league which would be the ideal solution. Not so much at the top level but certain the level below that. In my opinion we need two levels of professional football to give medium sized professional teams a protective buffer but that would be hard with a 16 top tier. Being relegated would pretty much like going to League 2 in one big drop.

I'm counting the Accies game as a home game because of the lack of travelling and the likliehood we'll comfortably outnumber the home fans. 5 'home' games from the last 6...if we don't get out of this mess then we've only ourselves to blame.

The only reason behind the split was to make sure there were 4 Old Firm games in a season for a 12 team league.

I'm still not a fan as, for me, a league needs every team to play the same number of games against the same opponents - otherwise you end up with MLB and franchises.

When we were in the old first division, there were 14 teams and we played everyone 3 times. It wasn't perfect, but they balanced the home/away schedules well enough and I still perferred that to 12 teams and a split.

• Like 1

The only reason behind the split was to make sure there were 4 Old Firm games in a season for a 12 team league.

OF level paranoia/conspiracy nonsense.

Was it a consideration - yes. Was it the "only reason" - no.

Like I said before the current set up works pretty well. There haven't been many 'dead' seasons, even if it was only the slightly artificial Top 6 aim.

3 home games in a row. 4 out of 6 at home and an away game in which we'll have more fans. If we can't stay out the bottom 2 now we deserve to go down. There's a lot of our players who've been crap all season they've been given a fighting chance here's hoping we take it. Starting this Saturday.

A drive back down the A9 after being relegated would be some way to go.

Having three home games on the trot coming up gives us every chance to get out of it. Even Accies away we'll be the better supported team.

Every chance to get out of it ....Based on what the fact we cannae beat a carpet ? Why will we suddenly win more games in 3 than we've done in 25

Every chance to get out of it ....Based on what the fact we cannae beat a carpet ? Why will we suddenly win more games in 3 than we've done in 25

The main reason is that the teams we are playing are utter shite as well.

We could easily have had a point if Jules header went in on Saturday in a much harder fixture than we'll face again. We are long way from being a decent football team but a much smaller margin away from picking up more points.

3 home games in a row. 4 out of 6 at home and an away game in which we'll have more fans. If we can't stay out the bottom 2 now we deserve to go down. There's a lot of our players who've been crap all season they've been given a fighting chance here's hoping we take it. Starting this Saturday.

i am sorry our home form is crap simple as that, I am sorry I can see us maybe missing automatic relegation, but I can see us being involved with the play offs at the best.

The main reason is that the teams we are playing are utter shite as well.

We could easily have had a point if Jules header went in on Saturday in a much harder fixture than we'll face again. We are long way from being a decent football team but a much smaller margin away from picking up more points.

Not often this happens, but I totally agree with steelboy.

In the main we have performed reasonably well under Robinson. How we lost to St Johnstone and we matched and bettered Rangers at Ibrox for the most part. They may be no great shakes but did just beat Aberdeen away 3 zip.

Quite a few on here are focussing on 30 minutes against Partick and Hamilton. I would rather take positives from recent games as a reason why we may well escape the predicament we find ourselves in. Despite a turgid season we still have one of the best records v bottom 6 sides. Hopefully that continues into Saturday and beyond.

• Like 2

OF level paranoia/conspiracy nonsense.

Was it a consideration - yes. Was it the "only reason" - no.

Like I said before the current set up works pretty well. There haven't been many 'dead' seasons, even if it was only the slightly artificial Top 6 aim.

It's nothing to do with OF paranoia. It was the television companies (and sponsors) that wanted the 4 OF games guaranteed. I don't see how you conflate that with a conspiracy. I didn't make that up - it was stated at the time.

Why do you think there was pressure to have Sevco stay in the top flight after they went bust?

Why isn't TV money distributed equally among every team in the league?

The game in Scotland has been run to suit the OF for as long as I remember. There's nothing conspiratorial about that. It's just a fact. The authorities are scared they leave or breakaway and every time they flex their muscle, they get what they want. That's exactly how the original 10 team SPL came about.

• Like 7

Here we go with the last game before the split

Killie 34

Ross Cty 32

Dundee 30

Accies 29

Us 29

Ict 25

Killie v hertz .........home win could see Killie safe.......draw I think......away win would be the best for us

Dundee v Accies.......hard to call .........again think a draw ........draw best for us

Us v Ict ........must win game for us .........dread anything other........best for us ,must win game

Ross Cty v Smelic....... Hopefully can't see anything other Smelic win........Smeltic by a barrow load best for us

Best case scenario

Killie 34

Ross Cty 32

Us 32

Dundee 31

Accies 30

Ict 25

Worst

Killie 37

Ross Cty 35

Accies 32

Dundee 30

Us 29

Ict 28

Tomorrows game,for me,is the most important game of the season for us,we have got to start winning games,starting tomorrow

Happy Easter

Ps after 33 games 2 seasons ago we were already well adrift of the pack

Accies 43

Thistle 38

Killie 38

Ross Cty 37

Us 31

St Midden 21

And ICT were third in the league 55 pts Dundee were sixth on 44 pts

• 3 weeks later...

It's nothing to do with OF paranoia. It was the television companies (and sponsors) that wanted the 4 OF games guaranteed. I don't see how you conflate that with a conspiracy. I didn't make that up - it was stated at the time.

Why do you think there was pressure to have Sevco stay in the top flight after they went bust?

Why isn't TV money distributed equally among every team in the league?

The game in Scotland has been run to suit the OF for as long as I remember. There's nothing conspiratorial about that. It's just a fact. The authorities are scared they leave or breakaway and every time they flex their muscle, they get what they want. That's exactly how the original 10 team SPL came about.

Nothing happens at that level for one reason. Like I said it was a heavy influence but it wasn't the only reason and if it was the only reason it likely wouldn't have happened.

What people like you fail to recognise is that often clubs like ours are more than happy to go along with what the OF want because it's mutually beneficial.

Of course supporters won't accept that because of their own animosity towards the OF which is based on completely different considerations.