Scottish Premiership Motherwell V Dundee Sat 29April 15:00

creaser09

The game was lost by 2.00pm yesterday and we were totally outmanoeuvred off the pitch by a rookie manager. Team selection and tactics were all wrong. Cadden and Frear were wasted as they had to do the jobs of 2 men. They had to constantly make runs from very deep. Central midfield was totally unbalanced as Lasley and Campbell are similar types of player (Campbell is looking good as a back up replacement for the auld yin). There was no creativity and the left side was exposed in Pearo's absence (he was missed although he's not been playing well). Much as I don't rate him, Clay should have been in for Lasley. MacMillan or Ferguson should have started at right back. MacDonald played too deep and was wasted. Didn't link up with Bowman or Moult. Bowman and Moult don't play well together and were deployed too far apart. Moult was totally wasted - he played too deep, too wide and too often away from the danger area.

The line up was a 3-4-1-2 or a 3-4-2-1 and just didn't work and its long overdue for binning. The long hopeful balls to the striker(s) were a complete waste of time (Gomis sends his thanks by the way). At the 30 minute mark, and well before Dundee scored, those around me were shouting for Robinson to make changes before anything went badly wrong but he persisted with his formation much to the delight of Neil McCann. Dundee spent the first 40 minutes sitting in and it took us until the 30th minute to register an effort on target. With 5 to go until half time we could see McCann frantically waving his troops forward to snatch the all important goal and it was just a matter of time until they did.

Oh and Samson didn't play well.

I'm rapidly thinking that Robinson has been a poor appointment. For all his organisational reputation, we were a total shambles yesterday in all areas of the team. We had 2 weeks to prepare for the game and totally f****d it up. No excuses.

Great post.

You're right. 2 weeks to prepare and that's what we come I with?

Dundee had scored 2 goals, conceding 17, in their previous 7 games, which were all defeats! They've taken 10 points off us this season and scored 10 goals. We're a fucking joke.

Great post.

You're right. 2 weeks to prepare and that's what we come I with?

Dundee had scored 2 goals, conceding 17, in their previous 7 games, which were all defeats! They've taken 10 points off us this season and scored 10 goals. We're a fucking joke.

I don't hear any laughing

Just a clock ticking

Hope someone has set an alarm

Think Bowman can thank Samson for not getting him all the attention . .cant believe how poor he is ..will never be a baller even at this level . .never saw anyone so poor at timing his jump for a high ball , actually makes me laugh out loud it's that bad ! ! . .and can't even run either . .maybe it's just me , but it's beyond me what any of the management team see in him

The game was lost by 2.00pm yesterday and we were totally outmanoeuvred off the pitch by a rookie manager. Team selection and tactics were all wrong. Cadden and Frear were wasted as they had to do the jobs of 2 men. They had to constantly make runs from very deep. Central midfield was totally unbalanced as Lasley and Campbell are similar types of player (Campbell is looking good as a back up replacement for the auld yin). There was no creativity and the left side was exposed in Pearo's absence (he was missed although he's not been playing well). Much as I don't rate him, Clay should have been in for Lasley. MacMillan or Ferguson should have started at right back. MacDonald played too deep and was wasted. Didn't link up with Bowman or Moult. Bowman and Moult don't play well together and were deployed too far apart. Moult was totally wasted - he played too deep, too wide and too often away from the danger area.

The line up was a 3-4-1-2 or a 3-4-2-1 and just didn't work and its long overdue for binning. The long hopeful balls to the striker(s) were a complete waste of time (Gomis sends his thanks by the way). At the 30 minute mark, and well before Dundee scored, those around me were shouting for Robinson to make changes before anything went badly wrong but he persisted with his formation much to the delight of Neil McCann. Dundee spent the first 40 minutes sitting in and it took us until the 30th minute to register an effort on target. With 5 to go until half time we could see McCann frantically waving his troops forward to snatch the all important goal and it was just a matter of time until they did.

Oh and Samson didn't play well.

I'm rapidly thinking that Robinson has been a poor appointment. For all his organisational reputation, we were a total shambles yesterday in all areas of the team. We had 2 weeks to prepare for the game and totally f****d it up. No excuses.

A poor appointment is putting it mildly yet another fuck up which started with baraclown,steady erosion of team useless acquisitions and as for Samson how many points has he lost us this season

Missed the first goal as I was out getting a pie. Thank **** I didny come back early, I'd have been done for assault on Samson with a pie.

So the new manager bounce is rapidly turning into the dead cat variety. Robbo clearly thinks that because 3 at the back worked at Ibrox, he'll use it in every game. As per my MOTM post, a trained chimp could've done what McCann did yesterday - keep it tight, double up on wide men, and attack the weaker right hand side of the defence from which two of their goals came from. Cadds ain't a full back.

Is Robbo culpable? In terms of tactical inflexibility yes. But, in the clear case of him no' fancying any of the U20s as cover at right back, why the **** would you release both Kennedy and Laing who have done a decent (albeit not a full Taiters) covering job there? We're over staffed with duds in midfield, with no adequate cover in central defence and right back, and both Bowman and the other target man non entity have been utterly, utterly useless.

We're paying the price for poor squad transfer/release decisions and have taken the easy option with McGhee's replacement who is, at least in part, culpable for some of these. The board are clearly weak in this regard, and are also to blame to an extent.

I hope we can pull it out the bag next two games, but if we don't, a few seasons in Division One beckon, not a great start to the fan-owned era.

I heard a rumour that Samson thinks 'well fans are a shower of absolute arseholes and that he's going to do his best to sabotage our relegation fight as a parting "get it fuckin up ye". Wouldn't blame him.

Okay I made that up, but regardless of what happens I'm sure in years to come most will look back and recall the sarcastic cheering in the middle of a crucial game as one of the most cringeworthy and unhelpful things they have witnessed at Fir Park.

• Like 2

Appreciate that when you've dropped to 11th place and there's only four games left there isn't a huge defence you can put up in support of the management but I don't think Robinson is anywhere near as bad as some are making out.

In the games we've lost under him, it hasn't been by more than a goal. Whether the formation he's adopted is popular or otherwise he's stopped the bleeding that was evident under McGhee towards the end.

He's managed to get them at least to stay in games when we're behind and not chuck it when we've gone behind.

He's been fairly bold in placing faith in youngsters like Campbell and Gordon which many called for.

He's tried to fit three forwards into the side on the back of two attacking wide players which again contrasts with the more cautious style that McGhee often set us up to play and many grumbled about.

He's been fairly quick to change things if it hasn't worked.

And if you want to take yesterday in isolation whatever formation and tactics a manager employs it doesn't matter a jot if the keeper does what Samson did yesterday.

Neither is it Robinson's fault when the referee completely shits it and the opposition should have been down to 10 men, or if he and his linesman miss a ball that's two feet over the line. Week after week across the league you'll have Premiership managers go on about the importance of the first goal. We had an incredibly shite last couple of minutes of the first half and first couple of minutes of the second half that were down to individual mistakes by players. That's what cost us yesterday.

Oh don't get me wrong he's far from perfect and I thought his changes yesterday for example did smack a bit of chucking shite at the wall and see if anything sticks, particularly the wasteful use of Ainsworth through the middle. But again I will give him some credit for at least offering a little variation.

But I can't really accept the argument that he was tactically out-thought by a rookie or the game was lost at 2pm when they haven't been in the game at all. When it's been all Motherwell, when we've had more possession, more chances, earned more corners and it's only a total fuck up of our own doing that's cost us rather than any great tactical acumen from the opposition manager.

As for Robinson longer term? The jury for me on him is still very much out - arguably his full merits will only really be known once he's got something like his own squad in. I see improvements since he took over. Slight improvements, but improvements nonetheless. Sufficient though to see us stay up and afford him the opportunity to build his own squad? Now that's a question....

• Like 5

Agree with many of the posts that we were probably on top for most of the game in terms of possession, but it was easy possession to deal with - too many times we pump a long ball up to a guy with little hope of winning it, and even when we did get forward into the last 3rd, we didn't look dangerous. and that's not a pop at Moult or Bowman particularly, as the service they get most of the time is poor to say the least.

What can you say about Samson - I've got to the stage I actually feel for the guy - very suspect at the 1st goal, but then a cracking double save to stop a 4th goal. Genuinely feel there's a reasonable keeper there, but certainly not at the level we want to play at.

What worries me most, is we're very much in a battle, but where I think we'll lose out heavily, is against the battling qualities of the other teams - what can I say, hopefully they'll prove me wrong !

MON RA DOSSERS

Possession doesn't win games, goals do. Dundee clearly sat deep and tried to hit on the break. They also attacked the weaker side of our 3 man defence. Number of goals conceded owing to our (Samsons) f***-ups = 1. Number of goals conceded owing to defensive weakness down right = 2.

Agree pretty much with Andy P.

You can argue the formation cost us the game. You can argue Another Samson blunder helped cost us the game. You can argue YET another referee/

Linesman blunder helped cost us the game.

I think Robinson has done alright with what is at his disposal. We were in No danger up until a fortuitous break puts the ball in front of Samson and we know what happened next. OK we might not have been peppering their goal but we were the dominant side with same formation. I do suspect Robinson is trying to fit in our better players into a system that works.

What worries me the most - is the apathy from fans. 2 crucial games back to back and still only 3500 home fans of thereabouts. In the past for these types of games you would have got an extra 1-2000 on top of average gate.

We are in a dogfight and the stay away / fair weather fans have a huge part to play. The easy option is to say fuck it - cannot be arsed going along next week. But a larger positive crowd will help. This is NOT a criticism as if you only choose to go to a few games a year then make one of them next weekend.

On paper I didn't actually think that team looked too bad. One thing that the first half showed was how unbalanced it actually was - Frear got forward pretty well in the first 30 mins but Dundee soon clocked onto the fact that he was our only outball and compensated accordingly. Cadden has been poor for weeks and sat far too deep all day to the extent that we had no threat on the right hand side.

Ainsworth should have been on at half time, although the heads collectively went down after their second goal and we never really recovered. The high ball pish was a joke and its telling that both of our goals came from keeping it on the deck. The basic errors that crept in were ridiculous, and the sight of five players sitting in a line across the back waiting for Dundee to attack them (and subsequently letting them score) was laughable.

The ball is clearly well over. Probably the most conclusive of all the recent no goals. The SPFL really need to invest some of the TV money in goal line technology.

b6syvc.jpg

Or perhaps ask Specsavers to throw in a few eye tests as part of their sponsorship deal.

Technology = expenditure

Maybe Scottish football could start with a bit more distribution of help to the clubs that haven't got a pot to piss in...

"Let them eat cake" ideas don't help basic survival

samson is utter shite,he's been a liability on a number of occassion's this season costing us time and time again,but having said that its criminal that mcghee thought it was acceptable to go with him and a 20 year old loanee as our goalkeeping options for the second half of the season.there is serious deficiencies in our team that were there for all to see even last season that have never been rectified and now we might just pay the ultimate penalty by being relegated,there has been some real fuck ups in the decision making behind the scenes and its about time questions were asked of the folk running the club.that performance today was a disgrace,we could have gone 5 clear of dundee with a win so to have played like we did,with no passion,no clue about what is was were trying to achieve over the 90 minutes,it really does look like were throwing on 11 players and hoping for the best.its been 2 weeks since our last game,what have we worked on in that time,there was no shape and as for our set pieces,it was the same thing over and over,again were hoping rather than trying to do anything positive.this formation were playing needs to go before its too late,the players dont look in any way comfortable,the formation were going with the wing backs should be the most important 2 in the team imo,but yet were persisting with players 2 wingers there who cant defend,dundee's 2 goals in the second half highlighted that.before kick off things were in our own hands and with home games coming up against county and killie,we were in a decent position and we blew it.3 points next week is a must,we as fans know it but after watching that today,do the players really grasp how serious things are.

Im sure the players know how serious it is, they just dont have the ability to alter it. We are consistently shite, we are therefore expecting players who dont have the ability to rise above what they have delivered all season....it aint gonna happen.

Any time Cadden pushed forward Dundee exploited the space behind him in the right full back position. Robinson spent most of the second half screaming at Frear to similarly push forward in similar style, despite the fact this would have created the same problem on the left. At times it did. Hammell....who I am not saying had a bad game..........was playing so far infield you might as well have stuck a number 5 on his back and listed him as a centre back. Quite clearly Frear did not know what to do for the best. The sooner we revert to a back four, spread across the field, the better. Probably too late now though.

Playing with a narrow back three is just not working and is seriously affecting our ability to play to our forward strengths. It did not work for a year and a half under McGhee and it is not working now. Teams sussed it out last season and use the space to punish us. Dundee were firing the ball into both full back positions almost from the start. Result? Cadden and Frear so intent on their defensive duties that pushing forward became secondary. From what I see Robinson might be getting more out of the players effort wise, but his determination to use the same flawed defensive tactic is hurting us big time. Cadden and Frear spending most of their 90 minutes at full back limits the options for supplying Moult with decent ball and results in long aimless punts upfield. As someone posted earlier, the Dundee centre backs just lapped it up yesterday.

Cadden and Frear spending most of their 90 minutes at full back limits the options for supplying Moult with decent ball and results in long aimless punts upfield. As someone posted earlier, the Dundee centre backs just lapped it up yesterday.

McCann in his post-match interview said he knew we would be punting high balls in and that they specifically prepared for us playing this way.

It's the exact same tactic which drove us all absolutely mental in the Accies game almost 4 weeks ago.

Worrying on many levels if that's the only way Robinson thinks we can play.

McCann in his post-match interview said he knew we would be punting high balls in and that they specifically prepared for us playing this way.

It's the exact same tactic which drove us all absolutely mental in the Accies game almost 4 weeks ago.

Worrying on many levels if that's the only way Robinson thinks we can play.

How any manager , even the biggest dicks in management, think a long high ball game is effective is beyond me because your team is never in control if that is your tactic. All that happens is you give away possession time and time again.

The long ball pish apart from being totally ineffective with the players we have has largely contributed to the decline in attendances over the last few seasons. At least when we had Johnson on the wing we had alternative out ball now we don't.

Maybe we can't afford ball players because of the decline in attendances?