Scottish Premiership Motherwell V Kilmarnock Tue 16 May 19:45

Wallace_MFC

So tonight's match

Started brilliantly and think it was off the training ground. After teams came out and did 1min silence players went over to main stand and raced round cones to re warm the legs (never saw that before)

Quick break and a corner delivered into the box left side to no one and groans Came up, out of nowhere mchugh raced in and drilled it low left past the keeper to go 1 up

Motherwell continued to play down the left trying to unleash frear and McDonald to run at there defence. Killie couldn't cope nor string 2 passes together. So they switched it to cross balls to jones down the left and frazzle slight left of centre

It paid off with ferguson time and time being exposed and totally roasted. The ball came in and jones played a pass just inside of the box that wasn't cleared which came to Lasley who kicked fresh air, ball going through his legs to frazzell who had a yard on his man to lash it into the net.

The game then became a bit scrappy with the ref baffling both sets of fans, the pick of the bunch Lasley winning a tackle and being penalised for dissent protesting too much.

Motherwell continued to play down the left with killie going more central down the middle. More scrappy play with Motherwell going close through moult and Taylor hitting the bar

2nd half

Motherwell start brightly and clay booked for a dive ( didn't see it pie stall the usual slow shamble) but guy sat next to me said why would he have dived. Il leave that for others.

The ref at this point wanting to make a name for himself of just came off the moon to learn this new game. Baffling decisions both ways, worst resulted on Taylor being booked on the left side of the box and a foul awarded that was not even a free kick.

Up came ainsworth who was brought on in the first half after ferguson was roasted raw to rifle it past the goalkeepers left at waist height in what looked a very deliberate and rehearsed free kick.

2-1

Frizzell went close but was too high and frear shot just wide. Killie we're pushing and Motherwell we're keeping them out but looking shaky. Next goal would be crucial and it came with the ever dangerous ainsworth winning a loose ball and racing from 10 yards inside his own half on the edge of the centre circle releasing a sprinting moult down the left side.

He had the beating of his man but once he reached level with the penalty box released a reverse pass to frear who had the march on his man to lash low left into the goal giving the keeper no chance.

A superb counter attacking goal.

This settled the nerves.

Yet again the ref decided to baffle both sets of fans and the game failed to flow with motherwell looking threatening to only be penalised.

Moult job done and The Superb Ainsworth both were subbed later in the match to standing ovations.

The crowd was now in full voice and sensing a long awaited home win which was the first back to back of the season as word spread round the ground county had scored late to you 3-2 up over accies. Few threats from Motherwell resulted in 2 quick corners that were used to kill time.

Then Ft and we're up for another season

By now the stewards were out every 3rd with a policeman by there side and also barriers in front of the Cooper which I thought was overkill. The cooper booes the pitch invaders but still the club could not afford the fine

So very entertaining game, not sublime stuff but considering the pressure great stuff and praise to the manager, stoping the leaking defence, making changes when needed and most of all keeping us up.

We live to fight on COYW

By Christ it is tough supporting this team year in year out.

But every now and then you are reminded why you stick with it

The euphoria of the last 2 games that have kept us in the top flight for 33 fkin years. Only Aberdeen and Celtic have a better record !!!!

It has been a tough season for many reasons, many outside our control.

But I love this club and hopefully always will.

Kudos to Robinson. Might not be everyone's choice but then no-one ever is. He was given a job to do and he did it.

He deserves a chance for next season.

I will be smiling a lot over the next few days.....

• Like 1

Dodgy first half with plenty of our well known frailties being exposed.

Credit to Robinson for changing it so early. Enabled us to go in 1-1 instead of the inevitable 2-1 down that was coming.

2nd half was a joy to watch for the most part. Lionel, Frear and Moult were all immense. Some of the best football we have seen all season.

Lionels goal was as good a hit as Ive seen and he's given us some wonderful moments in his time with us. If thats his last game at FP, I wish him well.

The 3rd goal was fantastic counter attacking play and cool finish from Frear, who I think could be an important player next season.

Summary

Great end to a shit season. Take a bow Lionel that was some way to sign off.

I'm sure his refereeing licence is a fake - no way that clown is a referee

Who was he ? Couldn't find his name but he really was awful and for both sides. As I've said many times was never ever a free kick nor booking for our 2nd. Feel bad for killie naw I don't. As we have had shit descions given against us, is this is the evening out they talk about? But Christ on a stick he was a fekin joke

What amuses me is people saying that if you play Ainsworth in his natural position then you'll get the best out of him. His best spells tonight were playing as a striker and on the left wing. But he made a difference and if he's to go, he goes with my best wishes given he's played a massive part in helping us beat the drop. Twice..

Generally tonight, thought we were poor first half and came on to a game in the second.

I know Ainsworth is taking a lot of plaudits and rightly so but really impressed with Frear tonight as well. Set up the first goal, won the free kick for the second, scored the third. Not bad..

Oh, and I fucking love Carl McHugh...

Sorry bud never ever in a million years a free kick for the 2nd

Nick Walsh was the ref. Not quite as bad as Kevin Clancy was on Saturday but it would be difficult to surpass that. Never a free kick for our goal so got a rub of the green for once

Thanks never heard of him and hopefully won't ever again. Ruined the game

Hence the phrase 'won the free kick'. He's quite slight, Frear, so I think referees may be more likely to believe a challenge could knock him off balance...

I actually laughed out loud at this. I was 15 yards away in the cooper. And never ever ever a free kick. As I said il take it but let's not kid ourselves on it was fair

Lionel has been up and down since he came but I'm delighted to see him go out on a high.

He seems like the type of player who needs to be managed and suffered from playing under managers who weren't willing or able to do that at times. If you look at his goals and assists since he has been here we'll miss him and the quality of his goals has been incredible.

• Like 2

Hence the phrase 'won the free kick'. He's quite slight, Frear, so I think referees may be more likely to believe a challenge could knock him off balance...

Also I hate that bloody phrase how the hell do you win a free kick. You're fouled or you're not. Bloody Europeans legitimatising cheating

Lionel has been up and down since he came but I'm delighted to see him go out on a high.

He seems like the type of player who needs to be managed and suffered from playing under managers who weren't willing or able to do that at times. If you look at his goals and assists since he has been here we'll miss him and the quality of his goals has been incredible.

100% agree with the first part and the final part but can't agree with the way he is managed.

His biggest failing is his unwillingness on too many occasions to get involved in the physical side of the game and not tracking back to help. Tonight he did both these things and showed what a talent he could be.

• Like 1

Absolutely - part of me hopes there's a change of plan and he's retained for next season but that's now very unlikely. His goals and assists are going to a major loss, more than people think. Cadden is unlikely to offer a similar attacking threat. I do recognise though that cadden offers more in other areas - that's not up for debate

100% agree with the first part and the final part but can't agree with the way he is managed.

His biggest failing is his unwillingness on too many occasions to get involved in the physical side of the game and not tracking back to help. Tonight he did both these things and showed what a talent he could be.

It was obvious when McGhee came in he only saw Ainsworth and Laing as wages to be freed up to bring in his own signings. For me if you have a player like Lionel who can score and make goals you need to coax that out them as much as you can. Instead of doing that McGhee went out his way to try and make him leave.

A good manager gets the effort we've seen the last two games over a season.

Absolutely - part of me hopes there's a change of plan and he's retained for next season but that's now very unlikely. His goals and assists are going to a major loss, more than people think. Cadden is unlikely to offer a similar attacking threat. I do recognise though that cadden offers more in other areas - that's not up for debate

Can't see him staying.