Lasley.

livivoice

Absolute legend of a man! He bleeds claret and amber. Unfortunately his playing days at Motherwell are over. I wouldn't mind it if he went into coaching in some capacity. But if he thinks he's got it, then he might be playing in a lower league next season. I'm sure the door will always be open for him to return when he's ready.

Not for me, the wages could be better spent on somebody else, he is done constantly chasing the game and diving in, as was seen last night for his booking. He has been a fantastic player for the club over the years but his time has come.

Absolutely Allan. He's been a great servant and ambassador for the club but his time has come.

An ok player early in his Well career and past his best now. But in the middle 'keef' period he played at a very high level for 4-5 years and was the biggest single on field reason for our high flying streak. Appreciated at that time but probably not quite enough, he was immense and would have been comfortable in a scotland shirt. As a couple have also said above - all time fav well player.

He's been a great servant and ambassador for the club but his time has come.

Dave, tradition dictates that I am duty bound to respond to your annual "times up Lasley" post by stating....you've been saying that since about 2003! :)

But even I have to accept as this season reaches its conclusion it has a "the time has come" feel about it, sad as that is to type.

I don't know how involved Lasley has been with the U20's behind the scenes and outwith his visible involvement in the dugout so I don't know if there's any call for a permanent assistant to Craigan for the 20's. But if he were to get a designated coaching role I don't think it would be the daftest idea in the world for him to continue to be registered as I think he could an asset on the park to some of the youngsters coming through. That would also mean he would be around in the event of a similar situation that has left us with no right-back for the last six weeks.

From his own perspective though whilst I'm sure he would want to play at as high a level as he possibly can, for as long as he can, he hasn't undertaken all these coaching courses for no good reason and I suspect he won't be short of offers from teams further down the leagues that would want to utilise his talents in a playing-coaching capacity.

I reckon he'll be here next year continuing in his current under 20s role and combining it with either the 1st team coach role Robinson vacated or taking over as assistant from Faddy, who I don't think too many expect will hang around next season.

I'm not sure how it would work with his media commitments but would Craigan stepping up to assistant manager and Las going in as head coach of the U20's be a possibility?

Do Robinson and Craigan know each other from the NI set ups?

An ok player early in his Well career and past his best now. But in the middle 'keef' period he played at a very high level for 4-5 years and was the biggest single on field reason for our high flying streak. Appreciated at that time but probably not quite enough, he was immense and would have been comfortable in a scotland shirt. As a couple have also said above - all time fav well player.

Pretty much this. In fact Strachan said he would have played at international level if he had more pace.

I think this says it all Keith Lasley is 38 years old and he's still a first pick midfielder. Even now, when he's not the player he was, he's a much better player than many younger players in our squad. In fact with the ball in front of him I think we'll be lucky to get anyone better. Lasley's problem now is when the ball is behind him he just can't get back anymore.

However, he's basically there because he's seen off all challengers for 11 years.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - Craigan, Hammell, Lasley - these guys were the very core of one of the most successful periods in the clubs history. Perhaps in hindsight they will be appreciated more than I think they have been by some in the present.

Next season - I think Lasley could still be a good player at a lower level if he wanted to continue. He could even be a useful squad player for us. But now is the time to move forward - the squad needs a huge rebuild and now is probably time for Lasley to take that step back.

We'll miss him though and when will we see his likes again?

• Like 1

If lasley wants to continue playing, I think he could have a few more seasons at a lower level.

Otherwise, I could see the situation mentioned above where craigan moves up to assistant, and lasley takes over the 20s. Is it possible he could combine that with playing part time elsewhere?

From coaching the 20s, a sweet gig on BT Sport and a side business as an agent, Craigan would be mad to take an assistant job that would end him being sacked when the manager gets his jotters.

Pretty much.

He was quite unequivocal in the comments he gave to the press ruling himself out for the actual manager's job prior to Robinson getting it. He seems comfortable with his situation as it is (who can blame him?) and let's face it he's been doing a cracking job with the u20s why would the club wilfully decide to disrupt that given that it's entirely fundamental to our "strategy"?

Not to be over dramatic, but there was something a wee bit magical about last nights performance.

Lasley, Moult, Ainsworth and McDonald all probably played their last games at Fir Park and it would have been a right shame if they had left under the cloud of relegation. Instead, we at least have the memory of probably the best 45 minutes of the season with all of them playing their part.

Before the lap of honour, Lasley stopped as he walked out the tunnel and looked around as if it was the last time he would do that as a player. Personally, I think he's still got enough of an engine to be a good squad player but maybe others are seeing things that I'm not.

I wouldn't have a problem with him staying on for coaching duties and also signing on as a player. We're allowed enough subs that he can be listed and come on on the occasions when we need an experienced head when we're trying to see the game out.

I wouldn't have a problem with him staying on for coaching duties and also signing on as a player. We're allowed enough subs that he can be listed and come on on the occasions when we need an experienced head when we're trying to see the game out.

While he is reported to be a very fit guy, I think he would just rust up on the bench.