Thanks Flow And The Groundsman

decorator

Groundsman 100%. Flow can do one. Club is slowly being ruined by his inability to run the club efficiently. Jobs for the boys is all it is. Club need rebuilt top to bottom. Until then we will be in this position over and over, until one day we aren't so lucky and end up going down. No coincidence we have went downhill since he took over.

• Like 1

The pressure the guy has been under over the course of the season has been unreal, coupled with the moronic abuse via social media (one instance the other week which went way beyond what is acceptable). It's not been pretty this season, but in the end we've stayed up and that's absolutely massive for the football club.

There's a lot of hard work ahead in order to improve things on and off the park, but there will be few if any that give more than Flow will to try make a success of it.

The board of directors, the chairman and the Well Society board all need to step it up and work together to ensure the club is in the best position it possibly can be.

I'm not sure surviving in a league that has included as many poor teams as it has this season is much to celebrate, but if it serves as a warning shot to the club then it could hopefully be a turning point.

• Like 7

Agree with Andy.

Everyone entitled to an opinion and there's been decisions made that is easy to disagree with in hindsight but there is a lot more staff culpable to this years failings than flow

We have someone in charge who unlike other clubs genuinely does have the club at heart. Will he always get every decision right? Absolutely not. But do you in your own place of work ?

We should be getting on with supporting the guy, be critical if you need to be critical but do it constructively by offering suggestions and alternatives.

I agree in part that I'd like to see a Peter Lawell/Anne budge type at the top of our club in flows current role purely down to business experience. But even these guys are not free from criticism

Big moment here on in to rebuild in a positive way, let's start by giving the guys like flow who currently have that task to take on our full support

• Like 1

Flow wouldn't get half the stick he gets if he wasn't a well known face/name around the fan base prior to his appointment at the club and if he wasn't as active on social media. You can guarantee though he's trying his absolute best and has the best intentions of the club at heart.

If we had a COO that had no previous connection with the club and didn't stick their head above the parapet I guarantee there wouldn't be anywhere near the same blame put on them as Alan Burrows gets.

• Like 1

if flow ever gets headhunted people will soon see what the man does for the club,its

not just his day to day job he does for the club as people will never get closer with info and nothing is ever a problem for him to help out.

im sure there is hundreds of people he has helped but never gets a thanks on here

• Like 7

I wouldn't deny that he tries his best. And I've said it before, I can't imagine many Motherwell fans turning down the job if offered. But, sometimes trying your best just isn't enough, there comes a point that the best thing to do is realise you gone as far as you can and initiate change.

Flow wouldn't get half the stick he gets if he wasn't a well known face/name around the fan base prior to his appointment at the club and if he wasn't as active on social media. You can guarantee though he's trying his absolute best and has the best intentions of the club at heart.

If we had a COO that had no previous connection with the club and didn't stick their head above the parapet I guarantee there wouldn't be anywhere near the same blame put on them as Alan Burrows gets.

That's the crux of the matter, if he was some faceless man in a suit, nobody would know his name, never mind blame him for Craig Samson gifting goals all season.

I'm sure he is learning on the job a bit, but he was starting from a decent enough point having been around the club for a good few years. We could have brought in some dick from a bank or whatever who would've been in the same boat, but with no inside knowledge of how the club had been run.

• Like 1

Some of the patter on here is chronic.

I dont know Alan Burrows at all, so no axe to grind either way.

His position is General Manager. He is accountable to the Board of Directors of which we have representation through the Well Society.

Ive no idea whether he is the right man for the job (and neither does anyone else who doesnt work at the club with him on a daily basis) but the suggestion that he is some sort of oligarchal figure at the club is ludicrous.

There are lots of things the club needs to do better. Player signing strategy being the main one. But for the first time in years we are on a stable financial footing living within our means. I'll take that as a starting point.

• Like 9

Alan Burrows does a great job for the club. He puts in the hours and there's far far more goes on behind closed doors that we, the fans, know or appreciate. Often matters are far more complex than we imagine. So he gets my thanks.

As for the groundsman.......what can I say? The pitch has been fantastic all season and looked a dream last night after a long season. Well done to him.

• Like 2

Groundsman 100%. Flow can do one. Club is slowly being ruined by his inability to run the club efficiently. Jobs for the boys is all it is. Club need rebuilt top to bottom. Until then we will be in this position over and over, until one day we aren't so lucky and end up going down. No coincidence we have went downhill since he took over.

You're a real ray of sunshine, ay?

I presume its also, no coincidence we've gone downhill since we stopped spending what we couldn't afford and no coincidence we've gone downhill since Aberdeen, Hearts and Rangers stopped being absolutely terrible.

Alan Burrows does a great job for the club. He puts in the hours and there's far far more goes on behind closed doors that we, the fans, don't know or appreciate. Often matters are far more complex than we imagine. So he gets my thanks.

As for the groundsman.......what can I say? The pitch has been fantastic all season and looked a dream last night after a long season. Well done to him.

Couldn't agree more - most teams (including ourselves several years ago) would take that pitch at the START of a season - never mind at this stage, incredible.

I don't often post here, but I had to login to respond to this tripe.

Alan Burrows is the General Manager of the club and he answers to a board of directors who have the power to sack him if they feel he is not doing a decent job.

He is in no way responsible for the performance of the team or the manager and also does not have the final say in who becomes manager, that will be decided by the board of directors.

The team has gone downhill due to us losing high quality players and replacing them with not so high quality players. It's that simple. Clay would not even get on the bench for the McCall team that finished second. The signing of players comes down to the manager and McGhee signed a bunch of duds.

We also have a few very important players in the team coming to the end of their careers. Is it any suprise that the decline of Lasley and Hammel has also seen a decline in the league position?

Rebuilding job for next season, but Steve Robinson has achieved what he was hired to do and lets see what he can do to rebuild the squad.

I also want to say that my son plays for the 2011 Community Trust team and the level of work that goes into the local community from Motherwell is astonishing and that is something Alan and his team are driving. its not all about the first team, there is massive amounts of work going on behind the scenes.

• Like 11

I don't often post here, but I had to login to respond to this tripe.

Alan Burrows is the General Manager of the club and he answers to a board of directors who have the power to sack him if they feel he is not doing a decent job.

He is in no way responsible for the performance of the team or the manager and also does not have the final say in who becomes manager, that will be decided by the board of directors.

The team has gone downhill due to us losing high quality players and replacing them with not so high quality players. It's that simple. Clay would not even get on the bench for the McCall team that finished second. The signing of players comes down to the manager and McGhee signed a bunch of duds.

We also have a few very important players in the team coming to the end of their careers. Is it any suprise that the decline of Lasley and Hammel has also seen a decline in the league position?

Rebuilding job for next season, but Steve Robinson has achieved what he was hired to do and lets see what he can do to rebuild the squad.

I also want to say that my son plays for the 2011 Community Trust team and the level of work that goes into the local community from Motherwell is astonishing and that is something Alan and his team are driving. its not all about the first team, there is massive amounts of work going on behind the scenes.

Yeah, but we finished second and now we don't. Burrows out.

It seems the naysayers are in the minority because every post on here that distinguishes the reality of the role of COO and the perception is getting a significant number of likes.

Its the same in any walk of life. Just because a few people shout loud, doesn't mean they represent the majority opinion.

• Like 1

The club has gone through a massive transition since Boyle handed over the reins. Les took over, overhauled the structure from top to bottom, and ultimately transitioned the ownership of the club to the Well Society (who have also restructured the governance structure).

During that period we have abandoned the financial structure that led to annual losses (even when we were successful on the pitch), to a club that should be able to break even each season.

Is it perfect? Of course not. Is it better than it was? I think so.

Flow, and everyone involved, have played a huge part in that. By it's very nature it has been a huge learning curve as who has experience of fan ownership?

As for results, as I posted in another thread a few months ago, the position we have finished in most often since the SPL was created is 8th. The burst of success we had was an amazing run, but never likely to be sustained due to the resources of our peers.

This season was poor to say the least, but in my time as a 'Well fan I can think of a fair number that were worse. The fact that we stayed up was vital financially as the rewards next season have increased. The fans now own the club and we are paying off our debts to JB and Les.

If Les hadn't stepped in, I imagine we were pretty close to going out of business. Instead we are still here and still in the top flight.

We certainly need to improve things, but we are in a better position than a couple of years ago. Remember all those posters on here that wished we had the same model as Dundee Utd? I was looking at the Scottish and English League tables the other day - it's amazing and scary how many successful teams from the last decade or two are now scrabbling around in the lower divisions. I'll gladly take what we have now in comparison.

Oh, and the pitch has been a revelation.

• Like 7

Far to easy to blame Alan Burrows when team isn't doing well . Human nature always looks for somebody to blame . That's not his remit as I understand it . That's what a manager gets paid for . Believe he does a sterling job in the day to day business of running the club and does much more than his remit requires . Also been told he is well respected by other COO from other clubs . In fact one in particular said he is a workaholic and puts crazy hours in . So on that basis he'll do for me .

Sums up the complaints about the guy that he's still referred to by his message board handle. I'll admit that I'm kind of disappointed that as a member of the founding group of this board, that I seem to be the only one who doesn't work for the club now.

I don't know his remit, and I don't care to be honest. I don't know if he'd make my top 5 motherwell GMs/COOs, with some of the illustrious names we've had in there, but I assume he's done a good enough job for multiple bosses to keep him and promote him. I don't think it's his job to make us better at throw ins.

As for the groundsman, he and his team have done an excellent job, and obviously the club has made the investment to hire him and support him so fair play to them.

• Like 2

Sums up the complaints about the guy that he's still referred to by his message board handle. I'll admit that I'm kind of disappointed that as a member of the founding group of this board, that I seem to be the only one who doesn't work for the club now.

This forum was started up and ran by about 6 of us back in the day, and every single one of us works for the club now apart from 5 of us, so it just shows you anything can happen.

• Like 5

I may have exaggerated, but a few of the early group worked for/at the club in some capacity since, which is why I'm disappointed I haven't been the manager yet.

Screw working at the club. It's much more fun putting your feet up on the desk, sipping a single malt and puffing on a fat cigar, as a new owner.