Lionel Ainsworth

if hes off down south you gotta wonder who is gonna sign a player who couldnt command a first team place in arguably the worst Motherwell team in 30 years

Only if you have never seen a game of football and know nothing about the sport.

As above http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/motherwell-star-lionel-ainsworth-desperate-10441931

Motherwell star Lionel Ainsworth desperate to bag a new deal and keep his Fir Park love affair going

Well forward admits he's loving life in Scotland and hopes helping keep the Steelmen in the Premiership is enough to earn him a new contract to stay in Lanarkshire.

• 06:00, 18 MAY 2017

13565299.jpg

Motherwell's Lionel Ainsworth applauds the Fir Park crowd (Photo: SNS Group)

Get Daily updates directly to your inbo

Lionel Ainsworth helped ensure Motherwell’s 33-year relationship with Scotland’s top flight has stayed intact.

Now the attacker is praying his own love affair with Lanarkshire does not come to an end after an uplifting four-year romance.

Two years ago Ainsworth was inspired in the play-off Final against Rangers to save the day.

This week, he climbed off the bench and produced another stunning show to stave off a possible return to the two-legged nightmare and book Motherwell’s place in next term's Premiership.

For Ainsworth, though, it was a bittersweet occasion.

The 29-year-old has fallen in love with Fir Park. He’s fallen for the club.

13565293.jpg
Steven Hammell and Lionel Ainsworth celebrate at full time following win that secured their Premiership status (Photo: SNS Group)

During his time here, he became engaged to fiancee Laura and celebrated the arrival of baby girl Sienna Lilly.

But, as he took the acclaim of the supporters at full-time of the survival-clinching 3-1 win over Kilmarnock, he realised it might be his last appearance on the pitch he’s called home since 2013.

Ainsworth is out of contract at the end of the month and unsure of his future.

With Stephen Robinson now in a position to start planning for next term, the winger is waiting to find out if he’s part of the plans.

Ainsworth said: “I’m sure the manager will sit down with everyone now and we’ll go from there.

“I’ve had a great four years here and I hope it continues. It would be amazing.

“I got engaged up here, we love the area, we love the people, the fans.

“My daughter was born up here. It’s like our own little bubble but sometimes you have to leave that bubble and go and make one somewhere else.

13565317.jpg

Motherwell's Lionel Ainsworth with his daughter Sienna Lilly (Photo: SNS Group)

“Hopefully that’s not the case and all I can say is the next couple of weeks should be interesting.

“I’ll never forget this place. From Stuart McCall bringing me up here and giving me the opportunity to play in Scottish football, it’s been brilliant.

“He was a great manager, Ian Baraclough continued my stay here and I really enjoyed every moment and I hope there are many more years to come.”

Ainsworth certainly won’t be forgotten by the fans.

Naturally, his inconsistency frustrates but he can turn games and has done so on occasions which have really counted during the relegation scraps of recent times.

Ainsworth scored and then set up a clinching third goal for Elliott Frear in the win over Killie to spark joyous home scenes.

It was, however, a late cameo for the player as he said: “I thought I was in the starting 11 then I got to the ground about six o’clock and was told I wasn’t.

“That was a bitter disappointment but it’s football and you have to adapt to it.

“I’ve had ups and downs this season but I knew if I could get on the pitch I would just get on with it.

“I’m paid to do the job, so whether it is starting or coming off the bench, I have to do it to my full potential.

“I just wanted to do it for me and my family.

“I said to Elliott before the free-kick, I’ve got to put this one on target.

“The gaffer said the other day that if someone could step up and put one in the back of the net he’d take it, so it was better late than never for me.

JS119458174.jpg

Stephen Robinson believes Motherwell should be doing more than just battling to survive in the top flight

“We shouldn’t have been in this situation. That’s been a bit disappointing but boys have shown character, especially in games where we have performed and should have won but didn’t.

“That luck was there with us on Tuesday night.”

Robinson immediately insisted afterwards that just surviving isn’t enough for Motherwell and Ainsworth agrees.

The target is to push on and return to being a top-six club.

Ainsworth said: “We’re all happy but realistically we shouldn’t have been in this situation.

“When we were warming up against Hamilton last weekend I said that to one of the boys.

“I’m not saying we should be up in the top three but we definitely are better than third bottom.

“Being in that situation, you go through some mad stages, even watching games you see things happening and when it’s not going your way, you need that little bit of luck.

“It came down to the second last game of the season but we’ll take it.

JS32498106.jpg

Lionel Ainsworth has enjoyed his time at Fir Park since signing in 2013 on loan from Rotherham (Photo: SNS Group)

“The main thing is this football club stays at a good level. I don’t want to be relegated while I’m here.

“Against Rangers, it was also a great finish, but Dan Twardzik said we should never have been in that situation.

“The teams that I’ve played in for the last four seasons have all been brilliant and I suppose we just have to show character as a team, new boys coming in and gelling really well.

“The boys who have been playing every week have been absolutely brilliant.

“We’ve been warriors in the changing room, everyone has been together and is enjoying it, we go out there every day training with each other and we enjoy it.

“We knew we were in a situation and we’re just glad to come out the other end.”

There's also an interview in The Sun that someone posted to the Well Fans II page on FB with quotes saying he's looking to stay.

He'd need to take a hefty wage cut but if he's open to it I'd love for him to stay.

Edit : seems to be almost identical the the interview above.

Like others, if there's a way to get him to stay on a prudent contract, then I'm all for it. He's frustrating as hell at times, but over the last year or two has really improved his work-rate off the ball, and still has that little bit of magic. The second he gets on the ball, the whole stadium just seems to be hanging on his every move. That's the type of player you want to have in your team.

But we do need to be careful not to break the bank since, for the moment at least, he's not exactly a nailed on starter.

• Like 1

Like others, if there's a way to get him to stay on a prudent contract, then I'm all for it. He's frustrating as hell at times, but over the last year or two has really improved his work-rate off the ball, and still has that little bit of magic. The second he gets on the ball, the whole stadium just seems to be hanging on his every move. That's the type of player you want to have in your team.

But we do need to be careful not to break the bank since, for the moment at least, he's not exactly a nailed on starter.

I'd say the key point is how he fits into the side. Given his obvious inconsistency vs Cadden in that position it's been hard to make that much of an argument for him as a starter despite him offering far more in an attacking sense.

Offering a contract that would (presumably even with a wage cut) be at the higher end of our pay scale for someone who's essentially an impact sub doesn't really seem to be something that makes sense for us. However if there's a way that Robinson can fit both him and Cadden into the side and would see Ainsworth at the very least get a run of games then I'd have thought there would be a conversation should probably be had, assuming he's genuine in saying he's up for staying. If he can get more money elsewhere then you can't really argue with that, good luck to him.

Moving Cadden in centrally and having him play alongside McHugh seems like a natural progression tbh. He's always looke more like a box to box player than a wide midfielder to me. A midfield 4 of Ainsworth, Cadden, McHugh and Frear certainly wouldn't be the worst while MacLean and Thomas would hopefully offer options to rotate in wide positions and Campbell has shows in his handful of games that he's capable of cutting it at this level although there may be an argument for him going out on loan and getting 90 mins week in week out at a Championship side. Add another good central midfielder to that group and it could be competitive.

With the past couple of seasons he's had it wouldn't really be much of a surprise if Ainsworth has explored other options and there's possibly even an argument that he could maybe use a fresh start at a different club. If it's the case, as Bop seemed to suggest, that he's got another club lined up then he may well be giving Motherwell the chance to match an offer. Who knows?

Ultimately, for me, the key area for us to recruit this summer is defensively; goalkeeper, centre half and left back should be our absolute priorities. If Ainsworth wants to come on board then why not.

• Like 1

Moving Cadden in centrally and having him play alongside McHugh seems like a natural progression tbh. He's always looke more like a box to box player than a wide midfielder to me. A midfield 4 of Ainsworth, Cadden, McHugh and Frear certainly wouldn't be the worst while MacLean and Thomas would hopefully offer options to rotate in wide positions and Campbell has shows in his handful of games that he's capable of cutting it at this level although there may be an argument for him going out on loan and getting 90 mins week in week out at a Championship side. Add another good central midfielder to that group and it could be competitive.

With the past couple of seasons he's had it wouldn't really be much of a surprise if Ainsworth has explored other options and there's possibly even an argument that he could maybe use a fresh start at a different club. If it's the case, as Bop seemed to suggest, that he's got another club lined up then he may well be giving Motherwell the chance to match an offer. Who knows?

Ultimately, for me, the key area for us to recruit this summer is defensively; goalkeeper, centre half and left back should be our absolute priorities. If Ainsworth wants to come on board then why not.

Hard to disagree with any of that. My thoughts on Cadden are similar. He's certainly got the engine for playing wide, but not really the trickery or delivery. In a more central role, charging forward from midfield (a la Pearson of last season), he could be a real success. Plus, as you say, with Campbell, MacLean, Thomas, and maybe another central midfielder, Robinson should have enough viable options to tinker with the lineup as necessary.

After the drudgery of this season, I'm suddenly rather (on no real basis) excited for next season!

Moving Cadden in centrally and having him play alongside McHugh seems like a natural progression tbh.

I've been saying this for the past 18months. At times I feel he looks a little unnatural wide right, but his engine and work rate would make him perfect in the middle.

I'm all for keeping Ainsworth. Not 100% convinced he will be one of our biggest earners but not sure, and that will be a factor. However, he is a player that can produce a bit of magic when on his game and thats invaluable to clubs. If he done it all the time, he wouldn't be with us. Even one game out of four makes him worth having.

Either way, great to see him speak so positively about his time here and if he is to move on, he has left a few cracking memories.

I've been saying this for the past 18months. At times I feel he looks a little unnatural wide right, but his engine and work rate would make him perfect in the middle.

I'm all for keeping Ainsworth. Not 100% convinced he will be one of our biggest earners but not sure, and that will be a factor. However, he is a player that can produce a bit of magic when on his game and thats invaluable to clubs. If he done it all the time, he wouldn't be with us. Even one game out of four makes him worth having.

Either way, great to see him speak so positively about his time here and if he is to move on, he has left a few cracking memories.

I've no idea if he is or isn't either but the timing of the 2 year deal after he roasted Rangers in the play-off kind of made it feel like he was signed up as a key player. Obviously it's daft to make assumptions about that sort of thing but in terms of profile of re-signing I'd have thought we'd probably have offered him a decent (for us) amount.

Assuming neither Moult nor McDonald stay next season, then I think a 4-2-3-1/4-3-2-1 is probably the best way to utilise our best players;

New Goalkeeper

Tait Heneghan(?) McManus New Left Back

Campbell Mchugh

Ainsworth Cadden Frear

New Striker

Seems about the bones of a decent team.

Ainsworth playing a full season from right wing may indeed give us 12-15 really shite performances,but it would also give us 8-10 goals and probably as many assists!

Unfortunately that would be with a competent right back and midfield around him. The midfield may improve next season but we are "stuck" with Tait at right back so defensive cover would be non existant

With that in mind,and the fact he is 1 of our high earners,I can see a handshake and best wishes after saturday! Unfortunately

I guess it comes down to whether we could bring someone in who could match/better Ainsworth in terms of quality/attributes etc - even if it is as an impact sub etc.

I don't think we could, he's a useful player to have, so its basically down to wage demands.

I think people are unduly romanticising Ainsworth after his performance the other night. We were all aware long before Tuesday that he had those capabilities, the issue has just been him not producing them and I'm not subscribing to the "not enough game time" theory.

If he was happy to accept a significantly reduced basic wage with performance incentives then I'd keep him, but him being happy to accept that kind of deal is incredibly unlikely.

• Like 1

Ainsworth guarantees goals and assists along with the shite performances.

Every single Motherwell player is capable of contributing to a loss and have done on numerous occasions this season. Only three players were capable of scoring more than three league goals in 2016/17.

• Like 1

I've always been a fan of having a player like Ainsworth in the team most weeks, as even on his bad days he is still capable of creating something. He can always be hooked if it's not coming off for him.

The modern game, especially in Scotland, has headed more towards solid, hard working, running about, hard tackling, good engine type players. While there is a place for some of that too, we need the mercurial talents as well.

If Ainsworth produced his highest level every week, he'd have been sold on after his first 6 months with us.

I've always been a fan of having a player like Ainsworth in the team most weeks, as even on his bad days he is still capable of creating something. He can always be hooked if it's not coming off for him.

The modern game, especially in Scotland, has headed more towards solid, hard working, running about, hard tackling, good engine type players. While there is a place for some of that too, we need the mercurial talents as well.

If Ainsworth produced his highest level every week, he'd have been sold on after his first 6 months with us.

Unfortunately more like the last 30 years rather than just recent