Lionel Ainsworth

As mentioned, Cadden inside and Lionel wide right. Plus.......... a decent right ful back behind him.

Always liked him and thought we struggled to make the most of him. I'd definately keep him. I don't think he is a "luxury" player. I think he is a player with a lot of untapped potential. Play him the right way and i think we wil get a lot of return for our money.

Midfield Looks not bad :-)

Frear McHugh Cadden Ainsworth

I watch Motherwell home and away and i honestly cant remember his last decent game for us before last night. No way should he get a new contract. Totally hides in most away games and there's a reason why we've been in a relegation battle. I wish him well but time to go.

• Like 1

I would keep Lionel, if desperate to stay then we should make an offer. I know he frustates a lot of folk but also capable of turning it on. If he goes I wish him well and thank him for scoring one of the best well goals ever in 40yrs following us. The 3rd goal at Ibrox.......AINSWORTHHHHHHHHHH!!! Said Liam McLeod

I watch Motherwell home and away and i honestly cant remember his last decent game for us before last night. No way should he get a new contract. Totally hides in most away games and there's a reason why we've been in a relegation battle. I wish him well but time to go.

You send me to
  • Like 1

Football is supposed to be entertainment. Id rather pay to see a team with someone like Lionel in it with a chance that I might see something really special, rather than a team of journeyman, knowing fine well that I wont. Yes he is frustrating. Yes he hides at times. He cant tackle to save himself even when he can be arsed to track back but none of that matters if we have decent defenders. If we are going to be losing Moult AND Skippy do we really want to lose Lionels assists and goals from the team as well? I agree that the financial deal has to work for both parties and if that cant be done then he goes with our good wishes, but we are going to have a big turnover in the squad again this year. Keeping Lionel wouldnt be the worst bit of business we ever do.

• Like 4

Not for me..one of the highest paid players at the club and turns up 25% of the time

Is he though?

I'd suspect there could is easily a half dozen higher paid than him, maybe more. Remember hearing credible chat a while back that folk like Louis Lang and Kieran Kennedy were on massive deals compared to other members of the squad as they were paid more at previous clubs.

• Like 1

I can certainly understand the love for Lionel. He's a world beater on his showreel.

His first two seasons were fantastic, even during those he had some truly awful spells.

Like two previous posters said. He's being romanticised due to his good performance against Killie but other than another decent wee sub appearance a few weeks ago I can't think of his last decent game.

I can certainly understand the love for Lionel. He's a world beater on his showreel.

His first two seasons were fantastic, even during those he had some truly awful spells.

Like two previous posters said. He's being romanticised due to his good performance against Killie but other than another decent wee sub appearance a few weeks ago I can't think of his last decent game.

I'd like to think I'm a realist. I totally agree that Lionel has had a honking season but then so has more than half our squad. Not helped by the awful man management he was exposed to in the first half of the season. Add to that the awful style of football we've adopted to try and avoid the drop. Yes, Lionel could probably have done more to help his own situation but I think there have been plenty mitigating factors.

All depends on how Robinson sees us playing next season. I like Frear and Ross McLean shows promise but Id love to see Cadden played through the centre as a box to box player as others have mentioned. That for me leaves a space for someone like Lionel. If he isnt going to be difficult to deal with financially why look elsewhere?

• Like 1

I agree, if we'd been having this debate a fortnight ago, I think you would have struggled to find anyone willing to offer Ainsworth a new contract. He had a good game against Killie and then the 5 previous performances are forgotten.

I agree that he was hung out to dry by McGhee numerous times but for me it's time he moved on. Thanks for a few great memories.

I agree, if we'd been having this debate a fortnight ago, I think you would have struggled to find anyone willing to offer Ainsworth a new contract. He had a good game against Killie and then the 5 previous performances are forgotten..

This x 100

Im a fan of lionel, however like most on here i dont think he turns up on the park often enough. So i feel a short term deal, say to christmas, to prove himself to the manager. With us holding the option on a future contract extension. There isn't any doubt the ability is there. It's just his attitude on the park that needs to change. If that didn't suit him then he's free to leave now with us all wishing him well.

Robinson is quoted in the Times today basically saying he's not sure if he will re-sign Lionel or not. For the same reasons we are discussing on here, unsurprisingly.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/spfl/15296561.Deal_for_Motherwell_s_Lionel_Ainsworth_could_be_out_of_reach/

He said: “The thing with Lionel is just consistency and belief. Whether we can keep Lionel or not I don’t know. I’m not sure if we have the finances to do that.

“He is someone who does come on and change games. I didn’t play him on Saturday because it was going to be a scrap and that’s not what Lionel has in his armoury, but he came on and did brilliantly for us against Kilmarnock.

“He has done well defensively, he did do it when he came on against Hamilton as well. It’s maybe something a lot of people don’t see, but we’ve been trying to work on it with him.

“I tried to do it before I left with him and Marvin Johnson. I think Lionel does buy into what we are trying to do and you can see his enthusiasm. He’s got a little bit of zip about him.

“Whether we are able to sit down and speak to him I’m not too sure.”

Robinson is quoted in the Times today basically saying he's not sure if he will re-sign Lionel or not. For the same reasons we are discussing on here, unsurprisingly.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/spfl/15296561.Deal_for_Motherwell_s_Lionel_Ainsworth_could_be_out_of_reach/

Don't know if it's just me or not, but that sounds a lot like Robinson doesn't fancy him and he will likely be offski.

He's quoted a saying in the press that he wants to stay its now time to back that up by signing a new deal.

There is wanting to stay and being able to afford to stay. We will be offering him a contract on reduced terms and he may not be able to afford to accept the wage drop.