Thanks Scott

CMWellfan

He scored on his debut away to St Johnstone in the cup didn't he?

It was clear by the start of the following season that we had a player on our hands and we had a decent team with him in it before the Malpas season. It was a shame he went to Celtic and then subsequently scored v us in every game he played v us apart from when Lappin scored the only goal at Parkhead. I couldn't understand why he ran up to the East Stand when he scored. I always felt that was disappointing. His form for Celtic was incredible though although Celtic fans I know didn't apparently rate him, although I suspect they couldn't forgive him for "Skippy Sunday", which was of course glorious.

It gave us a real lift when he came back and his performances probably saved us in the play off season and again this season. He's been a massive player for us and when he's on form one of the best in the league outside Celtic.

Will be sorely missed.

• Like 2

Every fan I speak to of other teams tells me they hate him because he is a narky wee prick, always chasing the ball, always hard to deal with. Tells you he's a damn fine player. To pick a memory that isn't the obvious, I loved the way he dragged us to a 2-1 win at Killie in Baraclough's season and the way he was clearly talking Erwin through the game.

Love him. Hard to think of another player who wanted to do well/score/win more than him. He might have moaned like fuck, but that is because he was always expecting perfection from himself and teammates. He's been called petulant many a time for his moans at refs and their decisions, but he does that because he wants what's best for him and the team. A quality player and an even better influence. I'd describe him as a 'winner'.

• Like 1

Being in my mid 20's I don't really remember the likes of Tommy Coyne, Owen Coyle etc so Scott McDonald is undoubtedly one of the best strikers to have worn the shirt in my time watching Motherwell. He'll always be one of my favourite players and memories like helicopter Sunday will go down in Motherwell legend. As others have mentioned we probably have him to thank for retaining our top flight status on more than one occasion whilst he was here.

A personal favourite of mine and although we knew he was leaving, I'm gutted to see him go. A moaning faced wee shite but a damn fine player for our club and our premier league top scorer to boot.

Cheers for the memories Skippy and best of luck whatever the future holds.

Can't see that either. Burnt his bridges with that one last season

Depends on whether his wife will let him move to to Australia this time, I imagine. I'm sure Hibs would be delighted to have him, though. Water under the bridge.

Skippy was showing signs of his age in the second part of the season just past, but by fuck we'll miss him regardless of that. His will to win, his petulance, his ability to get under opponents skin and his talent make him one of the best strikers to have played for Motherwell in my time. I felt that since we signed him from Millwall we never really played him correctly, he was always dropping deep, often playing in midfield....IF another team do sign him up, they'll see better results from him playing as part of an out-and-out front 2, which might help preserve him a wee bit more as well, without having to do too much tracking back.

We've been blessed with goalscorers over the past 20 years or so...Coyne, Arnott, Coyle, Jutkiewicz, Porter, McCormack, Clarkson, Higdon, Sutton, Moult and McDonald...Hopefully Robinson can replace the last two, with a couple of names worthy of adding to that list.

• Like 1

Skippy was showing signs of his age in the second part of the season just past, but by fuck we'll miss him regardless of that. His will to win, his petulance, his ability to get under opponents skin and his talent make him one of the best strikers to have played for Motherwell in my time. I felt that since we signed him from Millwall we never really played him correctly, he was always dropping deep, often playing in midfield....IF another team do sign him up, they'll see better results from him playing as part of an out-and-out front 2, which might help preserve him a wee bit more as well, without having to do too much tracking back.

We've been blessed with goalscorers over the past 20 years or so...Coyne, Arnott, Coyle, Jutkiewicz, Porter, McCormack, Clarkson, Higdon, Sutton, Moult and McDonald...Hopefully Robinson can replace the last two, with a couple of names worthy of adding to that list.

I suppose it's a game of opinions, but I'd have to disagree regarding how we've used him in his second spell. Whilst I think Baraclough using him in the number 10 role was miles out, I think at the stage of his career he's at now, he works best as the more withdrawn member of a front two. In his first spell, he was nippy and often benefited from playing on the shoulder of the last man, but now that he's not as pacy as he once was, I think there's times where he's been in pockets playing intelligent passes that he wouldn't if he was up by the last man.

If anything its testament to him that he's been able to adapt his game in his twilight years to a style more suited to his age.

I suppose it's a game of opinions, but I'd have to disagree regarding how we've used him in his second spell. Whilst I think Baraclough using him in the number 10 role was miles out, I think at the stage of his career he's at now, he works best as the more withdrawn member of a front two. In his first spell, he was nippy and often benefited from playing on the shoulder of the last man, but now that he's not as pacy as he once was, I think there's times where he's been in pockets playing intelligent passes that he wouldn't if he was up by the last man.

If anything its testament to him that he's been able to adapt his game in his twilight years to a style more suited to his age.

I think we are probably in agreement here Joe...when I said 'front two', I was meaning him being the foil for someone like Moult, but on far too many occasions for me, he has ultimately ended up as an additional midfielder being expected to track back, match his man etc.

• Like 1

I think we are probably in agreement here Joe...when I said 'front two', I was meaning him being the foil for someone like Moult, but on far too many occasions for me, he has ultimately ended up as an additional midfielder being expected to track back, match his man etc.

I agree with you but in the Celtic game at Fir Park, he played Scott Brown off the pitch in the first half while playing that deeper role, which resulted in them changing their system at half time to try and get Brown into the game.

I don't for a second deny his qualities, but like someone else said earlier I've just never taken to the guy. Maybe part of it is to do with the fact that every Motherwell side he's played in has been god-awful, I just don't really associate him with much that's enjoyable.

Coincidence obviously, but our phases of terrible team/good team/terrible team have almost exactly matched Scott McDonald at the club/not at the club/back at the club.

I don't for a second deny his qualities, but like someone else said earlier I've just never taken to the guy. Maybe part of it is to do with the fact that every Motherwell side he's played in has been god-awful, I just don't really associate him with much that's enjoyable.

Coincidence obviously, but our phases of terrible team/good team/terrible team have almost exactly matched Scott McDonald at the club/not at the club/back at the club.

McFadden falls into that category too, then, presumably?

Not particularly, no. But then there's a lot of other things factored into my affinity with McFadden, such as watching him progress up through the youth team, his Scotland exploits, seeing one of our own playing in the Premiership, and also the season we finished bottom being up there with some of the most enjoyable games I've ever seen.

Again just to re-iterate I'm not denying McDonald's quality, it's just his time at the club has coincided with us being absolutely terrible to watch so I don't overly have any emotive link to him.

Thanks Scott. Many will disagree but I would have him up there in, or around, the legends category. IMO if it wasn't for him, Moult wouldn't have been such a success.

I hope if he's ever back, he doesn't get boo'd like before.

As a side note, I met him once, after he left us for Celtic. Absolute top bloke - was more than happy to stand and have a chat for ten mins or so, even though he was with his mates.

I'm really surprised that anyone wouldn't have anything but high praise for Skippy.

The bad season, good season, bad season comment above is perhaps a solid reason why all Well fans should have a special place in their heart for Scott McDonald.

We've seen some talented players throughout football over the years who were in a losing team that is generally below their own ability levels and simply chuck it and wait for the next move. To the contrary, when in bad motherwell teams, Skippy has never hidden, always worked hard and always been a right royal pain in the arse.

I love him, he will be missed terribly and should be given legendary status.

• Like 1