Thanks Scott

CMWellfan

McDonald's first spell was the club bouncing back from administration and apart from the Malpas disaster we had a good ten years right up to Starjnan. Getting those two top six finishes after finishing 12th and dodging relegation was incredible at the time.

The admin season was brutal. We only won 7 league games and lost 24. Just because 5 of the wins were extremely memorable doesn't make it a good season. Between the Celtic and the Hearts wins we played 11 games in the league and lost 10, drawing 1. We went from a win against Dunfermline on 19th of February to the Livi game on the 24th of May with the same league record 10 losses and 1 draw.

My issue with Skippy is that he could have been even better, the number of times he carried the ball into good positions and then overplayed the pass or the number of times the attack broke down because he was offside, there was the odd sitter he missed as well. Doesn't make him a bad guy though.

McDonald's first spell was the club bouncing back from administration and apart from the Malpas disaster we had a good ten years right up to Starjnan. Getting those two top six finishes after finishing 12th and dodging relegation was incredible at the time.

The admin season was brutal. We only won 7 league games and lost 24. Just because 5 of the wins were extremely memorable doesn't make it a good season. Between the Celtic and the Hearts wins we played 11 games in the league and lost 10, drawing 1. We went from a win against Dunfermline on 19th of February to the Livi game on the 24th of May with the same league record 10 losses and 1 draw.

That really boils down to what each individual's personal interpretation of a good season is.

Don't get me wrong as you say there were some horrible horrible displays and results that should have seen us relegated. But that season was more than about just results. It was about having a club to support first and foremost. Results tend to have that bit less importance if the very survival of your team is at stake and as consequence there was unifying spirit amongst the support that hadn't been there for years before.

I have to say that season will always have a special place in my heart. The Old Firm victories. The 6-1 Hearts game. Stranraer away in the Cup and the team passing through Girvan. McFadden's hat-trick against Livingston bringing the curtain down on the season.

And at the end of it all by hook or by crook the club was still alive and still stayed up.

Good season? Fucking right it was a good season!!

• Like 2

Tough one for me. In my opinion I think he has been extremely poor this season.

A lot of our forward play was breaking down at him with his insistence of taking four or five touches extra, his demanding the ball and then putting it out the park. His falling on his arse claiming for fouls and downright sheer petulance and his offside play.

However there is a top player in there when he wanted to be. Could turn a game on his own and drag a performance out of us, however he just hasn't done it this year.

Will we miss him as a player..... hmmm I think we will.

Will I personally miss him as a player. Nah, I won't and I think it might surprise us how we can move on from here.

In fairness I never said we were good that admin season, I just said I enjoyed a lot of it.

More generally and not related to Steelboy's quote, I also never criticised McDonald or said he wasn't quality, I just said I never really took to the guy and don't really have any kind of emotional affinity with him. I find him fairly annoying tbh. He's that guy at your work that's great at what he does and you appreciate his work while he's there, but you're not overly bothered when he leaves because he's also a pain in the arse.

• Like 1

That really boils down to what each individual's personal interpretation of a good season is.

Don't get me wrong as you say there were some horrible horrible displays and results that should have seen us relegated. But that season was more than about just results. It was about having a club to support first and foremost. Results tend to have that bit less importance if the very survival of your team is at stake and as consequence there was unifying spirit amongst the support that hadn't been there for years before.

I have to say that season will always have a special place in my heart. The Old Firm victories. The 6-1 Hearts game. Stranraer away in the Cup and the team passing through Girvan. McFadden's hat-trick against Livingston bringing the curtain down on the season.

And at the end of it all by hook or by crook the club was still alive and still stayed up.

Funny enough we were talking during the Killie game about who would win, this season's team or the Malpas team and the subject got on to the first Butcher season. There were some dreadful performances, much like this season. But unlike this season, as you pointed out, there were some real highs (coincidentally or not, most of them under floodlights at Fir Park in the winter).

That together with the particular set of circumstances you mention regards still having a team to watch means that there will be fond memories of that season long after this one has been forgotten...

There are a lot of good memories but the overall verdict boils down to the decision at Hampden.

My main point was that the following two seasons when McDonald joined were far better and we weren't shite by any stretch of the imagination and were much more enjoyable week by week than the admin season. Stuff like beating Hearts at Tynecastle and Aberdeen at Pittodrie for the first time in years probably don't stick in the mind the way the games from the admin season do but they were every bit as good.

Funny enough we were talking during the Killie game about who would win, this season's team or the Malpas team and the subject got on to the first Butcher season. There were some dreadful performances, much like this season. But unlike this season, as you pointed out, there were some real highs (coincidentally or not, most of them under floodlights at Fir Park in the winter).

The Malpas team were actually decent the problem was Malpas. The Admin team were better than any of the current bottom 7.

There are a lot of good memories but the overall verdict boils down to the decision at Hampden.

My main point was that the following two seasons when McDonald joined were far better and we weren't shite by any stretch of the imagination and were much more enjoyable week by week than the admin season. Stuff like beating Hearts at Tynecastle and Aberdeen at Pittodrie for the first time in years probably don't stick in the mind the way the games from the admin season do but they were every bit as good.

I certainly couldn't disagree we were a much more rounded and effective team in those two seasons beyond the admin season, no question.

I still believe there was some post admin momentum at play at the club that perhaps only really fizzled out the following season again (arguably after the Celtic LC Semi) but you're right in a sense that there was a difference in context in those immediate two seasons post-admin which means they can viewed in a different light albeit being very successful seasons.

he's the most moody, arrogant wee shite, I think I'll ever see play for Motherwell FC, but I loved seeing him deliver for us, and £700k wasnt bad either.

as a Celtic player I seen him stand outside Fir park, very late at night, in late December 2007 tears running down his face, remembering his mate.

The abuse he received later that season at Fir park and thereafter used to annoy me, he took it for a while, then bit back with a kiss of the badge, and how the troglodytes whined, many taking it beyond rivalry.

Was delighted we got him back, Champions league & premiership level of player, hugely frustrating player to support when the team are playing shite, but he was class above majority of his Motherwell colleagues, delivered more than a fair shift and helped bring on some others, not looking forward to finding out he will be lining up against us.

• Like 4

My issue with Skippy is that he could have been even better, the number of times he carried the ball into good positions and then overplayed the pass or the number of times the attack broke down because he was offside, there was the odd sitter he missed as well. Doesn't make him a bad guy though.

And if my auntie had a cock she'd be my uncle!!!