League Cup 2017'18 Next: Celtic F (Hampden) 26/11/17 15:00

gdalli10

The beaks are damned if they do and if they don't. It needed shaken up, and was, and I quite enjoyed it. Won't be everyone's cup of tea however

No they are damned when the only thing they EVER come up with are things that have been tried and failed. Id never condemn them for new initiatives, the problem is they never have any.

League cup mini sections ------------------------------ tried and failed

Winter Break ----------------------------------------------- tried and failed

Changing the number of teams in the league------ tried and failed (many times)

Play Offs ............................................................... Tried and scrapped when they were a success rightly brought back.

can anyone give me one major change that has been done in the Scottish Game thats really new and innovative and had big impact in last 40 years?? Christ we even copy the naming of our leagues. They could pay me £100 grand a year and I could come up with shite like this.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying but where are we copying the league names from? It's been a variation of the Premier league / division since 1976 and I wasn't aware we were copying anyone then. Ok - I'll give you the Championship.

No they are damned when the only thing they EVER come up with are things that have been tried and failed. Id never condemn them for new initiatives, the problem is they never have any.

Play Offs ............................................................... Tried and scrapped when they were a success rightly brought back.

can anyone give me one major change that has been done in the Scottish Game thats really new and innovative and had big impact in last 40 years?? Christ we even copy the naming of our leagues. They could pay me £100 grand a year and I could come up with shite like this.

The original League Cup sections were scrapped in the mid-80s, 30-something years ago. For folk like myself, hurtling towards his 40s its a new and innovative concept and because it didn't work then, doesn't necessarily mean that it won't work now. I quite enjoyed it to be honest, just purely because it was something different and while it doesn't strictly eliminate pish-poor pre-season friendlies, it gives us an earlier taste of a competition that given the weighted format, we really should be doing reasonably well in

The Winter break...the criticism of this one pisses me off ever so slightly. Its clearly fuck all to do with the weather, as no one in their right mind would try to pencil in the worst 3 weeks of the upcoming winter in this country, in the early part of June. I suspect, its to give the parks and the players a breather and not much more than that. Is there an ideal time for it? Probably not, but I'm pretty certain if the Clubs no longer wanted it, they wouldn't have it.

Changing the number of teams in the league...see my response to the League Cup Sections moan, except its even longer into the past that we have altered it much, yo-yo-ing between 10 and 12 teams in the top flight since the mid 70s, when my da' was still at school. The current set-up suffers from the same teams playing each other too many times, but the alternative is potentially even more tedious than that, with utter dross (worse than the current dross, and possibly even part-time dross at that) playing in meaningless matches, leaving teams such as ourselves nothing to play for season, after season because it would be nigh on impossible to be relegated, or even be involved in a relegation scrap.

The naming of the league...yip, I'll give you that cringey at best, and plagiarism of a league setup that we have no chance of competing with.

Play-offs, I'm not sure how much I like them...yes, they give a bit more interest in all divisions, but when Hamilton Accies are beating the Championship team, then it tells me all I need to know about the level of teams down there. I'm also not enamoured with how they actually play-off against each other in the Championship 1st...in my opinion if they are going to do it, it should be a straight one-off shoot-out at a neutral venue and really make a fuss of it.

• Like 1

As entertaining as they can be (or not, if you watched the Huddersfield v Reading game yesterday), I've never been a fan of the playoffs to decide promotion/relegation.

The entire point of a league is to reward the teams that win the most points over the course of a season and penalize those with the least.

If you want a play-off format, stick that in something like the League Cup where people's livelihoods aren't at stake.

The original League Cup sections were scrapped in the mid-80s, 30-something years ago. For folk like myself, hurtling towards his 40s its a new and innovative concept and because it didn't work then, doesn't necessarily mean that it won't work now. I quite enjoyed it to be honest, just purely because it was something different and while it doesn't strictly eliminate pish-poor pre-season friendlies, it gives us an earlier taste of a competition that given the weighted format, we really should be doing reasonably well in

The Winter break...the criticism of this one pisses me off ever so slightly. Its clearly fuck all to do with the weather, as no one in their right mind would try to pencil in the worst 3 weeks of the upcoming winter in this country, in the early part of June. I suspect, its to give the parks and the players a breather and not much more than that. Is there an ideal time for it? Probably not, but I'm pretty certain if the Clubs no longer wanted it, they wouldn't have it.

Changing the number of teams in the league...see my response to the League Cup Sections moan, except its even longer into the past that we have altered it much, yo-yo-ing between 10 and 12 teams in the top flight since the mid 70s, when my da' was still at school. The current set-up suffers from the same teams playing each other too many times, but the alternative is potentially even more tedious than that, with utter dross (worse than the current dross, and possibly even part-time dross at that) playing in meaningless matches, leaving teams such as ourselves nothing to play for season, after season because it would be nigh on impossible to be relegated, or even be involved in a relegation scrap.

The naming of the league...yip, I'll give you that cringey at best, and plagiarism of a league setup that we have no chance of competing with.

Play-offs, I'm not sure how much I like them...yes, they give a bit more interest in all divisions, but when Hamilton Accies are beating the Championship team, then it tells me all I need to know about the level of teams down there. I'm also not enamoured with how they actually play-off against each other in the Championship 1st...in my opinion if they are going to do it, it should be a straight one-off shoot-out at a neutral venue and really make a fuss of it.

Whether something was tried last week of 60 years ago if its a failed concept its a failed concept. We tinker around the edges and do NOTHING radical in our game. We get the same shite served up on a different plate. Look at the new innovative league cup crowds last year they were still pish you can hardly say they caught the fans imagination.It was a half way house idea to answer the calls for summer football.

We talk endlessly about summer football , why dont we try it and if it doesn't work change it back .. no we fanny about and move a shite tournament to cover a few additional summer weeks. We could overhaul the points system to encourage goals, we could abolish all drawn games and have every game after 90 mins finish on a golden goal or a penalty shoot out. Fuck me if the guy selling Macroon bars and spearmint chewing gum wasnt a thing of the past absolutely fuck all will have changed in my match day experience in 40 years. What are the clubs doing to negate the shocking cost for all visiting fans. When the opposing fans disappear the atmosphere goes with it.

and for the guy who asked about the naming of the leagues we changed out top division to the Premiership (was always Premier League) and the first division to Championship just to Mirror down south. If you put a real entrepreneur in charge of Scottish Football you'd see a damn site more than pissing around the edges with sticking plaster solutions sold as innovative.

I don't expect every to agree the things I've suggested but holy christ if you wait for Scottish Football to do anything new you are mad.

and for the guy who asked about the naming of the leagues we changed out top division to the Premiership (was always Premier League) and the first division to Championship just to Mirror down south. If you put a real entrepreneur in charge of Scottish Football you'd see a damn site more than pissing around the edges with sticking plaster solutions sold as innovative.

I agreed with you on the Championship but we had the Premier Division long before England had the Premier League. Perhaps we're just copying their copying.

There has been innovation with the split although I appreciate it has been done elsewhere. I don't think there is a perfect size of league for us in Scotland but the split has grown on me despite the anomalies it throws up.

The league split. For example apart from the sizeable financial gain this has given to teams trying to get into the top 6 inc tv and added sponsorship we have often found that by way of generating greater interest for the common punter we have found that deep into the season almost every club has something to play for. Compare this with how things were before the split was introduced when for clubs like ours swimming around in the middle of the table there was only boredom and monotony.

Recognising that it is admittedly over 40 years credit should also be given to the footbaling authorities for ditching the old 2 division set up .

This set up is best remembered for crowds at fir park of regularly just above 2,000 when we played other `middling` teams who as early as February were neither going to get into Europe or relegated.

Credit where credit is due .

I would go for Motherwell ,Dumbarton , Airdrie,Albion Rovers ,East Kilbride as not much travelling there and a few derbies .Will probably end up with QOS,Stranraer ,Annan, and Ayr

Fully up for either of those scenarios, tbh. Would quite enjoy an evening at Spartans watching Edinburgh City as well.