League Cup 2017'18 Next: Celtic F (Hampden) 26/11/17 15:00

gdalli10

We can't even get Scottish teams to still be in a European competition in August. Why are people even discussing Scottish teams in Europe after Christmas?

If our Scottish performances in Europe alone is the factor in deciding when the season starts and finishes, why not start the season in June and finish in March?

Scottish teams have still had pish results when they were well into a season and it won't help at all when we're playing decent teams, Odense, Nancy etc.It might help for the odd game against teams that are already into their season but i can't see it making any difference in the 3rd game or playoff when our teams could be playing somebody from Portugal, holland, France etc.

There is no guarantee of better weather, in fact as well can all see looking out the window the weather usually gets worse in June, July and August, with big increases in monthly rainfall and high humidity.

You pretty much lost me here. So how many games do you think would be called off or abandoned in the past 5 summers (all leagues cumulative throughout Scotland)? We're not talking about freak events here, it's the average possibility we have to looking at and it must be 10-15x more in a Scottish winter.

Secondly, in terms of European results, I think it probably would help the likes of St. Johnstone for a round or two but then what?

Something infinitely better than going out in round one. But I take your point, why bother competing in a competative sport if we already know the outcome. Next season lets just now show up for the games against Celtic and forfeit the points, see Scott Brown raise his hands above his head after a kick off just like John Collins in Tallin?

Then there is the possibility of summer competition qualification. OK, that seems unlikely from a Scotland international team perspective in the near future but every two years the SPFL would be in competition with a major international football event. It would be madness.

It wouldn't be in combat with if it started 2/3 weeks early in those seasons and finish 2/3 week later, games cease 2 weeks before the tournament and are due to start back 6 weeks later, that allows time to meet up with international squads, 2 weeks groups, I week next round and 1 week of R&R before returning to clubs. I can't see us having any Italian, Spanish, French or Brazilian internationals plying their trade in the SPFL.

You've got going to the games in t-shirts (granted this past fortnight hasn't been a good advert for that), light nights, quicker regeneration of the playing surface, a TV market itching for football of any sort and something new and marketable. Players get Xmas off with their families.

When our Clubs are getting papped out of Europe regularly by teams that wouldn't qualify for Europe if they played in our league, you've got to come to the conclusion that we are doing something far wrong?? Rangers getting beat by a mid-table team from Luxembourg and St Johnstone getting beat by a team from a small country that doesnt even regard fitba' as its number one sport, is sadly not a new phenomenon, for the past 30 years now, we've been getting humiliated (ourselves included) by teams from right across the continent on an annual basis.

The definition of madness, is pretty much, continuing to try the same thing over and over again, yet expect different results. While no one is suggesting that a move to Summer football is the perfect solution, it will cure all our ills or see us progressing in Europe beyond Christmas but its got to be worth a shot.

Fitba' is more or less an all year round sport now anyway, the end of the season and the start of the new season, when you count in Internationals and pre-season friendlies is literally 3 weeks or so apart. If we can get any sort of sporting advantage, that sees us go from an absolute laughing stock to something even a wee bit more respectable, by shifting the start of the season by even just 6 weeks or so, we should seriously look at it.

Yes, I can understand that there are supporters that this won't suit, between holidays and other interests, but looking at the bigger picture, something has got to change.

• Like 4

Given that the close season is only 6 weeks long now and our best weather tends to be April/May, Im not sure the summer football discussion is even relevant anymore. We are going to have to play in the winter months anyway. Its just a matter of when you want to stop/start.

• Like 1

Given that the close season is only 6 weeks long now and our best weather tends to be April/May, Im not sure the summer football discussion is even relevant anymore. We are going to have to play in the winter months anyway. Its just a matter of when you want to stop/start.

Aye, pretty much this. I don't think its beyond the wit of man, to organise the season in such a way that we can give ourselves as much opportunity as possible to make less of an arse of ourselves in European competition.

• Like 1

something has got to change.

While I don't disagree with you that things have to change, I'd change a whole list of things before I started looking at changing the whole timing of a season. Summer football isn't something that can just happen overnight, I'd assume. It would take a sizeable amount of logistical working, so you'd be looking at a year in advance of shifting, Ireland operated as such;

The Eircom League of Ireland managed a smooth switch of seasons when it replaced an August to May calendar with a March to November one.

In 2002, the league brought forward its opening weekend by one month to July, then fitted a whole season's worth of games into seven months, ending in January, 2003.

Which is fine, but you're then wedded to that arrangement for a period of time. If it doesn't work (not suggesting here definitively that it would or wouldn't), then it would bomb hard, you'd imagine. Clubs are already operating within fine margins, so to then have to tear that up and start again, you'd risk a lot, for what doesn't seem like a great benefit, for me.

I'm not for summer football. It doesn't massively appeal to me and changing for changes sake because 'this might fix it' seems to let a lot of people in Scottish football off the hook. There isn't a simple answer to any of the problems in Scottish football, so picking what is a particularly difficult answer in 'summer football' has always seemed a bit weird for me. If we had made a concerted effort to improve every facet of our game; fan engagement, coaching, stadia, coaching, player recruitment, coaching, pricing, accessibility, coaching, and most importantly, IMO, coaching, and nothing had improved, then yeah, explore it further. These are all things we can look at improving over a period of time, with more evidence, collaborative work and far, far less risk.

Where we are in terms of European football is absolutely where we deserve to be. We're under the impression that we create great coaches and managers through our academy at Largs, (and to an extent, this might be true, but they aren't Scottish and they aren't working in Scotland) but if this was true, where are they? We've got one manager across the top two divisions in England. McInnes is the top Scottish coach in Scotland, and he was looked at by a relegated team in absolute bits. Not a slight on McInnes intended, but just a reflection on where we are.

If we're producing average coaches, and I'm aware there's arguments to be made for that, in addition to ones that we're simply not producing enough coaches at all, then we're not going to produce good players. If we're not producing good players, we're not playing good football. If we're not playing good football, we won't attract fans. All of these are linked, and likesay, all of these can be improved by things other than summer football. If this doesn't improve the numbers through the gate, or the football on display, or European results, or players, then for sure, summer football may be an option that we can make the most of.

Play for an extra 4 or 5 weeks in the summer is not going to fix the malaise in our game.

It's a fundamental overhaul that is required, and as I have said in other threads, that is never going to happen under the current regime.

• Like 2

While I don't disagree with you that things have to change, I'd change a whole list of things before I started looking at changing the whole timing of a season. Summer football isn't something that can just happen overnight, I'd assume. It would take a sizeable amount of logistical working, so you'd be looking at a year in advance of shifting, Ireland operated as such;

Which is fine, but you're then wedded to that arrangement for a period of time. If it doesn't work (not suggesting here definitively that it would or wouldn't), then it would bomb hard, you'd imagine. Clubs are already operating within fine margins, so to then have to tear that up and start again, you'd risk a lot, for what doesn't seem like a great benefit, for me.

I'm not for summer football. It doesn't massively appeal to me and changing for changes sake because 'this might fix it' seems to let a lot of people in Scottish football off the hook. There isn't a simple answer to any of the problems in Scottish football, so picking what is a particularly difficult answer in 'summer football' has always seemed a bit weird for me. If we had made a concerted effort to improve every facet of our game; fan engagement, coaching, stadia, coaching, player recruitment, coaching, pricing, accessibility, coaching, and most importantly, IMO, coaching, and nothing had improved, then yeah, explore it further. These are all things we can look at improving over a period of time, with more evidence, collaborative work and far, far less risk.

Where we are in terms of European football is absolutely where we deserve to be. We're under the impression that we create great coaches and managers through our academy at Largs, (and to an extent, this might be true, but they aren't Scottish and they aren't working in Scotland) but if this was true, where are they? We've got one manager across the top two divisions in England. McInnes is the top Scottish coach in Scotland, and he was looked at by a relegated team in absolute bits. Not a slight on McInnes intended, but just a reflection on where we are.

If we're producing average coaches, and I'm aware there's arguments to be made for that, in addition to ones that we're simply not producing enough coaches at all, then we're not going to produce good players. If we're not producing good players, we're not playing good football. If we're not playing good football, we won't attract fans. All of these are linked, and likesay, all of these can be improved by things other than summer football. If this doesn't improve the numbers through the gate, or the football on display, or European results, or players, then for sure, summer football may be an option that we can make the most of.

Talking of the transition, I mind watching the Russian league when it went from Summer > standard winter fitba.

The 2011–12 Russian Premier League is the 20th season of the Russian football championship since the dissolution of the Soviet Union and 10th under the current Russian Premier League name. The season began on 12 March 2011. The last matches were played on 22 May 2012, as the league switched to an autumn-spring rhythm

First competitive game on a big wide pitch. I guess this is where we get to really see what our new players are made of! Looking for a significant step up in performance levels from the pre season games.

Does anyone know if we will get to park out the front of Hampden? I've tried asking the club via it's Twitter feed, but had no reply!!

Saw an official tweet earlier that the car park would be available in a first come, first served basis.

Cheers Gilmour, might try that pub then. Great, all excited as don't get much opportunities to see us play at Hampden..COYW

I lived in battlefield for years. There are quite a few pubs around there but for me the clockwork is one of the nicest and the foods superb. Others are just a bog standard pub.

• Like 1