League Cup 2017'18 Next: Celtic F (Hampden) 26/11/17 15:00

gdalli10

First half I thought we were pretty rotten but as the game went on I thought we done pretty well. Firstly hats off to Bowman for the goals, would like to see him starting next week instead of Fisher. He got a hard time last season off some but I've always thought he had something about him. Key for me is not to treat him like a target man like Mcghee did. In midfield, McHugh done excellent filling the void in the middle of park as expected and Bigi, whilst not doing much looked assured. I don't enjoy the 3 at the back an would like us to revert to 4 but maybe Robinson doesn't think we have the players for it. Kipre was an interesting one, thought he was mixed bag but overall was impressed by him. I can see why Robinson signed him, looked raw but very athletic. Overall pleased but still think we are a defender and striker short of being where we need to be.

Overall the score flattered us but you have to say we were pretty clinical at taking our chances and Bowman took his goals well.

QP were blowing out their arses in the last 20 25 minutes and we dominated and got the goals later in the game but for the first 60 minutes it wasn't like that and we didn't look very robust when the opposition was on the ball.

Step up in quality next week, we'll see how we fare then.

Decent enough start to the season with some really well taken goals. Back 3 gives me the fear but Robinson is clearly trying to address this area. I suspect our general play won't be pretty this season but it'll hopefully prove effective if we can maintain a spine of quality players.

Morton could be a proper test next week.

Really..? I thought Kipre was head and shoulders above most of the guys on the park. Composed, never hid, won every tackle and header. Forever cleaning up for heneghan and can pass a ball, some of them set up some decent attacks. Was always looking for the ball. Heneghan is the only player there that gives me the fear. He is woeful and at fault for almost every attack QP had.

• Like 1

I'm not sure if a back 3 is Robinson's preferred approach or of he just felt it would allow us to push up in the expectation we would dominate possession. I guess time will tell.

A little slow out of the blocks, but can't complain about the final result.

Was great to watch another summer game bathed in sunshine. But enough about the weather here B-)

If we gotta watch games in rain Id rather it was July rain than January rain, today was very mild and was easy to watch in those conditions

Overall very pleased with a 5-1 win given the circumstances. It was obvious we were ring rusty and had a few new lads to settle in. As expected Queens had a point to prove and competed well for 45 minutes. Their ultra defensive formation did make it hard for us. I was a bit surprised by our decision to play a solitary striker up front and 3 at the back. No doubt we lacked presence in the final third and I'm not sure that Fisher looks capable of playing in that role - early days though and he'll have a chance to prove himself. Not really a day for wingers and Frear was double marked for a good part of it.

We scored some nice goals, scored by 4 different players, topped off by Louis' cracker. Bowman continues to impress and I think he's earned the right to prove himself. Very impressed by Kipre who can a pass a ball well. My MOTM was McHugh - he played well throughout and was a big influence on proceedings. I thought Carson also did well although he didn't have a lot to do. The defence needs further work though and I want to see Queens' goal on telly again.

Anyway a good day at the office and we must remember the squad is still getting to know one another. Today's team may not be the one that starts the league campaign. I wonder what happened to Dunne? Can we also assume that Kipre will keep McManus out of the team?

• Like 1

Absolutely stinking tactics from Robinson today. Trying constantly switch the play to wingbacks who were covered by two players and had no support. Lucky the two Queen's players covering Tait got in each others way for the 2nd goal.

Tait stood around like a spare prick on the right wing, played too high up the park and effectively marked himself out the game with no one able to play a pass into his feet (and who knows what he would have done if it ever got there). Frear tried a bit harder to get involved on the left but struggled to beat his 2 markers.

Tanner and Fisher struggled to get into the game in the first half. Cadden was dropping too deep just to get on the ball, finding himself at right back on multiple occassions while Tait did nothing 30 yards up the wing. Bigirimana never got involved much and he and McHugh couldn't seem to pick a decent forward ball in the full first half.

A hell of a lot to improve on when we come up against stronger opposition.

A wee novelty for me to see us on the telly as I couldn't make it along. Did I honestly hear folk booing at half-time? At 1-1 in our first game of the season. Unbelievable.

I think Michael Stewart might be schizophrenic, I couldn't figure out whether we were being pish and failing to stroll it past a lower league team or whether we were a class above them, he seemed to change his mind every two minutes. I thought we played our way into the game and were easily the better side other than about ten minutes where we fell asleep a bit. The rusty passing and defensive mistakes were all to be expected. The only player that I thought had a compete stinker was Frear, while Heneghan looked a bit shaky a couple of times.

Finally, I've never been one to go along for the myth that former players always score against us, but when Adam fucking Cummins gets one then you really have to wonder if there's something in it.

while Heneghan looked a bit shaky a couple of times.

lol that has got to be the understatement of the century, were you watching the same game at all..?? They deserved to be booed..no application at all first half, most players were asleep and not interested. Heneghan was a bonbscare the whole game. Gifted them the goal, nearly scored an og. A minute to go he has the ball, can kick it out the park if he wants but passes it straight to one of their players and they are on the attack and nearly score. Gets bullied by players half his size. Fans around me had their eyes covered every time a ball came near him. My biggest concern was the complete lack of a midfield in the first half as every ball kept getting pumped into the corners bypassing them completely.

Pass marks for Kipre, Carson, our captain and our subs...everyone else was in first gear and looked scared they would get an injury if they upped it to 2nd gear.

lol that has got to be the understatement of the century, were you watching the same game at all..?? They deserved to be booed..no application at all first half, most players were asleep and not interested. Heneghan was a bonbscare the whole game. Gifted them the goal, nearly scored an og. A minute to go he has the ball, can kick it out the park if he wants but passes it straight to one of their players and they are on the attack and nearly score. Gets bullied by players half his size. Fans around me had their eyes covered every time a ball came near him.

Pass marks for Kipre, Carson, our captain and our subs...everyone else was in first gear and looked scared they would get an injury if they upped it to 2nd gear.

They really didn't deserve to be booed, that's just silly. I don't get the hate for Heneghan at the moment, he'll be fine this season.

They really didn't deserve to be booed, that's just silly. I don't get the hate for Heneghan at the moment, he'll be fine this season.

When the team put more application into the warm up than they did for the first 45 minutes then they get booed. you dont see that on the TV but is was plain to every fan who turned up. Its not silly its a natural reaction when you see performances like the first half. This isn't the first time that Motherwell have done this. We cannot just turn up for 45 minutes in each game if we want to stay in the league this season. There is no 'hate' that I can see for Heneghan however his performance was terrible. What were you expecting when he gifted them the goal, almost fucked up again by scoring in his own net and unable to hold off a forward who looked 5'4 bullying him.

A more comfortable result than I suspected it might be, especially at half-time.

Despite scoring an excellent early goal we never really built on it and single goal leads are always fraught with danger regardless of whoever it is you're playing. It all just felt a little bit off in the first half. The final third of the pitch always seemed to be congested and wasn't doing us many favours. We were showing little in the way of creativity, urgency and were struggling to get much width into things, particularly with Frear appearing to have two men on him most of the time.

One positive in the first half was the contrasting style of Kipre to Heneghan and McManus in building moves from the back. One or two of his efforts didn't find their intended target and he was perhaps overused early on but nice to see someone look comfortable coming forward and willing to exchange passes with the midfield rather than the frustrating overuse of the lofted diaganol. Well before we reverted to type when we were edgy and struggling to break them down at least.

Second half was obviously much better. Definitely an upping of the intensity level and performance levels combined with Queen's Park tiring helped us ease away in the end. And some pretty clinical finishing too it has to be said.

Nice to see one of the newbies open their account. Our usage of Tanner is going to be interesting in the months ahead. I certainly don't think he's at the same level as Nicky Law but I think he's as close a player in style to Law we've had since he was here. The popping up here and there all across the midfield and front line linking up and getting himself into the box. If he's given licence to roam I think when he develops a greater understanding with those around him and builds up that sharpness I think there's the potential for him to have a positive impact on our forward play this season.

Two excellent finishes from Ryan Bowman to add accomplished finishes earlier this pre-season can only be a good thing, when our other new striker Alex Fisher is still bedding in and the likelihood of Louis hanging around much longer recedes.

And then the icing on the cake with Louis fine free-kick when we were lead to believe he wouldn't even be featuring far less rattling home overhead kicks and 25 yarders. Fair gladdened the heart!

A good bit to improve on but a good result and a decent enough display over the piece to build on.

• Like 1

When the team put more application into the warm up than they did for the first 45 minutes then they get booed. you dont see that on the TV but is was plain to every fan who turned up. Its not silly its a natural reaction when you see performances like the first half. This isn't the first time that Motherwell have done this. We cannot just turn up for 45 minutes in each game if we want to stay in the league this season. There is no 'hate' that I can see for Heneghan however his performance was terrible. What were you expecting when he gifted them the goal, almost fucked up again by scoring in his own net and unable to hold off a forward who looked 5'4 bullying him.

We won 5-1!

• Like 2

We won 5-1!

OMG..!! .I will make it simple for you....it was the first half PERFORMANCE I am talking about..If we start like this in the league as we have been guilty of before we will not get a comfortable win...we were playing amateurs ffs. A premiership team would have punished us severely for that first half performance remember Dundee, Aberdeen last season..!!

Deserved to be booed at half time just as they were deservedly clapped off at full time . As I said at time 1st half was abysmal no penetration , no pressing , totally pedestrian so maybe the booing woke them up as different team 2nd half . If players don't put the effort in they should be they get booed simple and yes we did win 5 1 and that's why they again deserved the applause they received at the end.

OMG..!! .I will make it simple for you....it was the first half PERFORMANCE I am talking about..If we start like this in the league as we have been guilty of before we will not get a comfortable win...we were playing amateurs ffs. A premiership team would have punished us severely for that first half performance remember Dundee, Aberdeen last season..!!

It sounds like what you are saying is that we started like a team filled with new players and still in pre-season training.

Like I said earlier in the thread, anybody who expected anything more than that in mid-July either knows nothing about the game or is just looking for any reason to complain.

If you feel the need to boo that, you need a reality check.

• Like 3

Deserved to be booed at half time just as they were deservedly clapped off at full time . As I said at time 1st half was abysmal no penetration , no pressing , totally pedestrian so maybe the booing woke them up as different team 2nd half . If players don't put the effort in they should be they get booed simple and yes we did win 5 1 and that's why they again deserved the applause they received at the end.

giphy.gif

• Like 3

Good 2nd half performance and I know it's one game but jury out on new signings. I was impressed by the subs, bowman and moult should be pushing for starting slot!!! Heh he. What happened to Bois? First 5mins was all singing and drums playing then was quiet. Probably boredom with that 1st half