League Cup 2017'18 Next: Celtic F (Hampden) 26/11/17 15:00

gdalli10

I don't mind 3 at the back. When it's done well with the right personnel attacking correctly and at pace it's a good formation. However, it needs pace for it to work.

Not there today as on holiday so can't comment on how it's being applied. Sure someone else will shortly...

Good to be 2-0 up at HT.

Like the look of Kipre, Bigi and Carson. McHugh seems like an new signing playing at CM and will be a huge player for us this year it would seem.

Not convinced Tanner, Bowman and Frear are the quality required.

Garden apart, a full team of recruits from England.

Robinson did say he wants us to retain an identity, would like to see more homegrown players getting minutes.

Aye, I'm hoping prospective suitors for Moult are just waiting for him to be 100% fit.

I can't see him being a Motherwell player after the window closes. Just hoping he is around long enough to score his farewell hat trick in the season opener.

Sounds like a straightforward win today. 9 goals in two games and top of the group.

Bowman never gave up, ran for every lost cause and won balls in the air he had no right winning. He was also unlucky not to score. Whats not to like. Tait is relishing that right wing role and is becoming more and more influential. Carson has to get assists for the first and second goals surely.

• Like 1

Only thing I will say about frear and tanner is I wish they would take their opponents on. Dunno if the instructions from the manager is to play it inside all the time and keep possession but you get the feeling that if they beat their man they will become more of a danger in the wide areas. Both can supply decent balls when they do get in a good position though. I like that our back 3 didnt allow anyone to bully them or push them off the ball. More assured performance from heneghan as well. On the opposition their No9 caught the eye, seemed a bit frustrated at times with the lack of any support and made a few solo runs to try to make something happen.

Not convinced Tanner, Bowman and Frear are the quality required.

Seriously?

Tanner's link up play was absolutely tremendous in the first half - he's scored one and assisted two others in two games, his assist today for Cadden was absolutely glorious. He should've scored again today but for an excellent point blank save.

Bowman ran himself into the ground and made some fantastic head flicks to set up counter attacks in the first half. Second half he was playing against 6 men and understandably faded away.

Frear wasn't at his best today but he's still putting dangerous balls into the box; he doesn't take on his man quite as much as I'd like (as others have said) and has questionable decision making at times but he also busted his arse tracking back more than once to help cover.

One thing that really came out of the game today was that the fitness of this team is markedly improved on last season already - every player was sprinting to win back possession all game and ran the length of the park in the 85th minute to make a challenge.

• Like 2

First time I've seen the new players. Brief thoughts on each..

Carson: Didn't have much to do but seemed vocal and keen to command his area.

Kipre: Looks to have a mistake in him but there could be potential there.

Dunne: Decent in the air and good distribution. Sure he'll have more testing games defensively.

Bigirmana and Tanner: Put them together because the two of them were linking so well. Some of the one touch stuff was really good to watch (albeit we should take into account the quality of the opposition). I think these two should ensure we're not a long ball team that's dreadful to watch.

Fisher and Rose: Both showed nice touches without really impacting on the game.

Quietly optimistic. It was only Morton but Morton was enough to end Baraclough's reign...

• Like 1

A very low key match that was almost too easy for us. Morton, I thought, were abject. However you can only beat what's in front of you and we did that convincingly.

Just a few thoughts on the new look side.

I like how Carson looks to distribute the ball from hand as quickly as possible but you suspect if Samson had completely missed a cross, as Carson has in both games now, there wouldn't be a jovial 'swing on the bar' chant.

Defensively we've not really been tested especially today with Morton offering next to nothing but I just have a creeping fear about the back four. Kipre is good on the ball but unfortunately that's about 10% of defending and I just feel that there are errors in his game. Dunne also looks like better opponents could perhaps take advantage of careless play from him and we know all about Heneghan. I suspect this is going to be the weak part of our game this season.

In central midfield we look like we have a good pair in Bigirimana and McHugh. Both look good but I thought McHugh was tremendous today and if he can keep that level of performance up, and last season seems to suggest he might, he can be one of the best midfielders in the division. Bigirimana looks energetic and quick thinking too with decent ability. If we can keep both fit then it should be a definite improvement on last season and a strong central part of the 'spine'.

I also like the look of Tanner. On what we've seen he perhaps doesn't have the technical ability of Henrik Ojamaa (Mk I anyway!) but I think he can play a very similar role cutting in from wider positions into the middle. Something we lacked dreadfully last season was midfielders getting into the box and being offensive minded and on that note it's good to see Cadden getting another goal and attacking those central areas of the 18 yard box. When you have midfielders doing that it makes it much, much harder for the team defending and it's something we need to keep doing, although it should be noted that Cadden did well in the league cup group stages last season before he reverted to type and his form dropped off in the league. It's something he needs to really work on and hopefully he can go some way in the coming season.

On a less positive note I have to bring up Elliott Frear. There's that much thrown up "7 assists" stat but I remain to be convinced by him, both last season and from what I've seen this season. In all three matches I've watched so far this term Frear has really been a very peripheral figure who has contributed very little. RIght now he's the player that needs to up his game the most out of what looks like the starting XI.

Up front Bowman looked more like the Bowman from last season than last week. He gives you a lot of effort but considering how dominate we were in the match he never really looked like scoring. Fisher hasn't really impressed me either which leaves us with Louis Moult. Another fantastic free kick from a class act. If Moult does leave before the window I hope we have a good quality replacement lined up otherwise we might be lacking in that department.

Overall a decent display against poor opposition but it's one of those one's where you aren't sure how good we really were because the opposition was dead in the water after a couple of minutes.

• Like 2

I thought we were excellent today, passing was superb at times. You can point to Morton being awful and having ten men but regardless we looked much improved. The pace of our play and passing in the first half was particularly pleasing. Glad Robinson went for a more 4-4-2 style formation and it give us a much better shape and balance. It also gave Cadden and Frear a lot more freedom.

From the new boys I was really impressed by Kipre again. He looks very assured in possession. Liked the look of Tanner too, got something about him for sure. Dunne is the question mark for me, technically he looks pretty poor but I like his pace on the flank. Bigi is going to be a player for us, him and McHugh in the middle are building a good partnership.

All in all really pleased with the way things are shaping up

Players playing the game like they were enjoying themselves. Decent performance all round even if there was 1or2 small mistakes. Totally different feel to the team now. Quite optimistic for the season ahead, hope they can keep that going.

Thought Tanner played better more centrally and closer to the striker and his link up play was very good also, Kipre seems very confident on the ball and so does Dunne but don't see where the criticism for him is coming from he has a lot of pace and very strong physical player and made a few decent balls today down the line or inside, Bowman worked hard but you can see him growing in confidence and Carson with that pass to Tanner that he missed just before our first goal was absolutely incredible and hats off to Louis what a man he is, 2 goals in 2 games his price should rocket up.

Very pleasing to see us score 9 goals in 2 games for change and keep the ball successfully so good stuff keep it up lads.

A very low key match that was almost too easy for us. Morton, I thought, were abject. However you can only beat what's in front of you and we did that convincingly.

Just a few thoughts on the new look side.

I like how Carson looks to distribute the ball from hand as quickly as possible but you suspect if Samson had completely missed a cross, as Carson has in both games now, there wouldn't be a jovial 'swing on the bar' chant.

Defensively we've not really been tested especially today with Morton offering next to nothing but I just have a creeping fear about the back four. Kipre is good on the ball but unfortunately that's about 10% of defending and I just feel that there are errors in his game. Dunne also looks like better opponents could perhaps take advantage of careless play from him and we know all about Heneghan. I suspect this is going to be the weak part of our game this season.

In central midfield we look like we have a good pair in Bigirimana and McHugh. Both look good but I thought McHugh was tremendous today and if he can keep that level of performance up, and last season seems to suggest he might, he can be one of the best midfielders in the division. Bigirimana looks energetic and quick thinking too with decent ability. If we can keep both fit then it should be a definite improvement on last season and a strong central part of the 'spine'.

I also like the look of Tanner. On what we've seen he perhaps doesn't have the technical ability of Henrik Ojamaa (Mk I anyway!) but I think he can play a very similar role cutting in from wider positions into the middle. Something we lacked dreadfully last season was midfielders getting into the box and being offensive minded and on that note it's good to see Cadden getting another goal and attacking those central areas of the 18 yard box. When you have midfielders doing that it makes it much, much harder for the team defending and it's something we need to keep doing, although it should be noted that Cadden did well in the league cup group stages last season before he reverted to type and his form dropped off in the league. It's something he needs to really work on and hopefully he can go some way in the coming season.

On a less positive note I have to bring up Elliott Frear. There's that much thrown up "7 assists" stat but I remain to be convinced by him, both last season and from what I've seen this season. In all three matches I've watched so far this term Frear has really been a very peripheral figure who has contributed very little. RIght now he's the player that needs to up his game the most out of what looks like the starting XI.

Up front Bowman looked more like the Bowman from last season than last week. He gives you a lot of effort but considering how dominate we were in the match he never really looked like scoring. Fisher hasn't really impressed me either which leaves us with Louis Moult. Another fantastic free kick from a class act. If Moult does leave before the window I hope we have a good quality replacement lined up otherwise we might be lacking in that department.

Overall a decent display against poor opposition but it's one of those one's where you aren't sure how good we really were because the opposition was dead in the water after a couple of minutes.

A 5-1 win last week and you were moaning and finding fault, 4-0 this week and right on cue another post focusing on what you perceive to be negative, FFS give it a rest.

We were excellent today playing against nothing but we scored 4 and prob should have had another 2 or 3, so why not try some positive thinking and enjoy it.

• Like 2

First look at the team in the flesh after watching on TV last week

Carson had nothing to do but looks like he will come off his line and his distribution is good.

Kipre was never stretched but looked good. I hope he can cope with the higher tempo and quick pressing he will get in the league

Heneghan was better than last week but still looked the weak link in the back three. Still not up to speed.

Dunne Like Kipre never stretched but looked to be really quick

Tait got forward well and the attacking role seems to suit him. Thought his crossing was not up to his usual standard.

Frear unlike Tait the back three system does not seem to suit him. He has to start his runs from deeper and has at least two men to beat before crossing

McHugh outstanding so get that new contract signed now

Bigi lots of nice touches and link up play, impressed

Cadden very good but needs to learn when to run with the ball and when to pass it.

Tanner good link up play and neat touches. Just wonder if he is physical enough for our league

Bowman run his guts out and timed his jumps much better so that he won a lot in the air

Fisher didn't do much apart from a header he won and the keeper saved.

Rose looks a big strong guy

Moult Sclaffed a free kick that somehow the Morton keeper let squirm into the net. Missed a one on one with the keeper and miskicked a cross when he should have scored. On this form will be lucky to get in the team and really should be glad to sign that new contract we are offering

We looked good today especially through central midfield but lets be honest Morton were terrible.If we play Rangers off the park like that then its something to get excited about but most of the new guys are still unknown at premier league level.

Moult Sclaffed a free kick that somehow the Morton keeper let squirm into the net. Missed a one on one with the keeper and miskicked a cross when he should have scored. On this form will be lucky to get in the team and really should be glad to sign that new contract we are offering

:lol:

• Like 1

I love how people can walk away with completely different interpretations of events from the same football match.

Ya Bezzar said "Kipre is good on the ball but unfortunately that's about 10% of defending and I just feel that there are errors in his game."

Melvin Bragg said Kipre "Looks to have a mistake in him but there could be potential there".

Just a question because I'm not there to see it. What in Kipre's play gives the impression there are errors in his game or that he has a mistake in him?

Oh and I'm just glad Sinjy isn't an English scout coming to look at Louis Moult