League Cup 2017'18 Next: Celtic F (Hampden) 26/11/17 15:00

gdalli10

I felt more optimistic when leaving Fir Park today than I have for a while. We played some decent stuff at times, scored 4 goals and kept a clean sheet. Yes, Morton aren't a premiership side but they're a decent Championship team; just the kind of side who've caused us trouble in the past. It was a real team effort with the likes of McHugh, Bigirimana, Kipre, Dunne and Tanner catching the eye. McHugh was my MOTM. We looked more solid than we have done for a while and the midfield stood out. In the past few seasons, our midfield has struggled in games like this but not today. Although Morton didn't show much in an attacking sense our defence did look solid and closed them down very well. Not something we've been good at. Overall we looked more organised than of late and the work rate was far higher than we have been used to seeing from our team. It was really heartening to see our lads off the ball work at 3-0 and 4-0 - chasing, harrying and closing down. Again not something we've seen for many a year. Our team looks a good bit bigger than last term and it showed in giving us a competitive edge

I thought Tanner had a good game in a very difficult role. Dunne too impressed me, and although he didn't have a particularly demanding afternoon he looked as though he may be a class above Hammell defensively - time will tell. Early days though. McHugh played a real captain's role. I can't recall the last time both our (full) backs scored in the same game or when a debutante scored so early in his Fir Park career.

All that said, there were a couple some negatives for me. Frear was deployed far too deep and that just isn't his game (maybe the dearly departed Dom Thomas had a point; just the one, when he mentioned wingers and defensive roles). Secondly we still look uncomfortable when playing with a lone striker. Bowy worked his socks off and won quite a few aerial balls but more often than not, there was no-one near him to take advantage. We just haven't got that aspect of our game right yet. At times we missed a second out and out striker in and around the box to finish off moves.

Early days and we mustn't get too carried away but we do have grounds for cautious optimism. Whatever happens this season we will have a different kind of team to the ones we've been used to watching in recent years.

• Like 2

On the highlights it is clear that Dunne's and Tait's goals were offside.

Didn't look like a red for Harkins either, probably only a yellow.

No real protests from Morton players at either goal and thats usually telling, but both calls were very tight and you may a point. Harkins' card was a red all day and he has previous for that kind of thing. A shocking tackle. The annoying Quitongo was a very lucky lad indeed to last as long as he did.

Yes, Morton were shite however if this had been last season we wouldn't have dominated the game in the way we did and our performance would still be peppered with unforced errors and misplaced passes. Even the worst performing teams still had their chances against us but that wasn't the case at all yesterday. That in itself is in an indication that we have improved massively.

I'm tentatively excited about what we saw yesterday. Easily the best football we've played in a couple of seasons. If we can play to anywhere near that standard against better opposition then we should be safe.

• Like 3

Just watched the YouTube highlights. I know I'm a happy clappy who only saw the carefully selected match events through a c&a tinted lense but that was really encouraging.

Some lovely link up play with great movement off the ball bringing good goal opportunities. Yes, our finishing could have been better but I think the Morton goalie deserves a lot of credit for the one on ones.

Taits goal is an unusual one. You rarely see a RB/RWB in so far out of position to meet such a rebound and we'll not see many right backs deliver such a sweet finish on the left peg at any level of football.

I would absolutely love to see them play like that against the h*n. It's almost an entirely new team, do they have a new attitude to the big games? I bloody hope so and I guess only time will tell.

I would absolutely love to see them play like that against the h*n. It's almost an entirely new team, do they have a new attitude to the big games? I bloody hope so and I guess only time will tell.

I don't know but we'll find out soon enough. Certainly the team seemed to show a different attitude yesterday. Their off the ball work was a class above what we've been used to in the last few seasons. They certainly worked far harder to make life difficult for Morton, by running, chasing and closing them down. As I wrote earlier, even at 4-0 up they still worked their socks off. As CoF wrote last season we would not have dominated midfield and would have given Morton the odd chance or two by failing to close players down or by making the odd blunder.

Enjoyable day at the fitba! Felt like a step up from a friendly but not quite a real competitive game, even although it clearly was.

Loads to be positive about yesterday. Plenty decent performances. Great pressing, good inter play between many players. That said, Frear isn't effective in the wing back role, Bowman isn't the answer up front and Heneghan is still very ropy in certain situations but good performances from everyone else, in particular McHugh, Bigirimana, Cadden and Tait. Dunne wasn't as bad as folk feared, not perfect, but could be ok. Quite liked big Kipre! His legs are fucking massive! Not getting carried away but I think at the very least we will see a very very different style from recent years, and in a good way. High energy, hi tempo, good high pressing, lots of little exchanges everywhere.

Need to see what we're like v premier opposition of course as Morton were rotten.

Would anybody take a punt on Quitongo? I thought he was pretty good.

Taits goal is an unusual one. You rarely see a RB/RWB in so far out of position to meet such a rebound and we'll not see many right backs deliver such a sweet finish on the left peg at any level of football.

His run from the right beforehand took him so far offside he'd basically given up, then McHugh's shot came in and the rest is history, hah.

Also, how good is it having a right back that can play and cross well with both feet?!

• Like 1

Bowman isn't the answer up front....... Dunne wasn't as bad as folk feared, not perfect, but could be ok. Quite liked big Kipre! His legs are fucking massive! Not getting carried away but I think at the very least we will see a very very different style from recent years, and in a good way. High energy, hi tempo, good high pressing, lots of little exchanges everywhere.

Would anybody take a punt on Quitongo? I thought he was pretty good.

I'm coming round to Bowman but he has to be played in the right role and with the right support around him. Yes, Kipre looks impressive and we held our breath yesterday when Quitongo rather unwisely had a go at him off the ball - he remain unflustered though and refused to be rattled. I was expecting the former to end up flat out on the deck out cold! Quitongo did himself no favours whatsoever with his attitude. He should concentrate more on his football. I thought Dunne had a solid game at right back for someone who has been out of the game for months. He got the basics right - a big guy who can win tackles, is positionally aware and sticks to his opponent. Chipped in with a useful goal too. That said he'll receive more exacting tests against better teams.

Its good that we've been scoring plenty of goals and they seem spread throughout the team.

Whilst I wasn't really a Samson basher, a huge frustration was him holdibg up play and taking forever to release the ball. Carsob seems keen to get his head up and look immediately to start an attack.

McHugh and Bigi look a decent pairing. They might get less time on the ball in the centre of midfield in the Premiership slightly, but I like the methodical approach and constantly recycling the ball and retaining possession, rather than aimless/rushed balls etc.

Scottish crowds tend to be slightly impatient with that, but if we've got the ball, they can't score.

Look to have a bit more pace/strength in the team now too.

Quitongo Was released by Accies a couple of years ago and I heard then that he had a problem with his temper. Had hoped that he had grown up but doesn't sound like he has - pity he has the talent.

Seemed to be running on a 'short-fuse' at times yesterday. Might be a player in there though if that could be harnessed.

Did he take any free kicks last year, I can't remember, I remember McFadden's against Hearts (?) and a succession drilled into the wall or over the bar but not specifically who was hitting them, McDonald?

For direct freekick where someone has a shot? We scored hardly any form them.

Moult definitely took a couple. I remember one at Accies that went straight into their goalie. McDonald, Hammell, Ainsworth also had a go with not much success. Johnson scored a beauty too but that may have been pre season

My opinion, for what they are worth:

Carson: misjudged one cross and only just got a finger tip to it which took it away from the attacker at the back post, he did then have the presence of mind to realise that he was the best positioned defender to chase down the loose ball and launched an attack that led, indirectly, to the opening goal. He looks like he is willing to come off his line and command his box, a pleasant change from our last few keepers.

The back three: Kipre looks comfortable in possession and reads the game well, Heneghan was much improved from last week and Dunne looks quick and strong, there were a few mistakes and misjudgments in there and against better quality opposition these may be costly, but lets be sensible, if these guys were faultless every game they wouldn't be at Fir Park.

Wing backs: Tait looks a lot more comfortable in the roll than Frear, but given that Tait is a defender being asked to play further forward and Frear is an attacker being asked to perform a more defensive roll then we shouldn't be too surprised. I would like to see Frear take on his man more often just to keep the defender guessing.

Midfield: Cadden and Bigirimana looked very good, McHugh was outstanding, I felt last week that McHugh improved when Bigirimana was substituted and again yesterday when Bigi moved further forward, I think once they develop an understanding we could have a midfield to be feared this year.

Tanner: Showed some nice touches and worked tirelessly the whole game, looked more comfortable when he moved wide later on but hopefully will be a good signing.

Bowman: Hard worker, wins lots in the air and shows some nice touches when the ball is at his feet, whether he will be prolific in front of goal if (when) Moult goes I'm not sure, but certainly looks more of an asset this season than I thought he would be on last years displays.

Subs: Fisher looks ok in an interchangeable with Bowman kind of a way. I haven't seen anything in Rose in either game to make me think he is an improvement on what we had last season but it is early days. Moult is Moult, we should make the most of him whilst he is here.

All in all I'm cautiously optimistic for the season ahead, but then I'm a fully paid up member of the happy-clappy club. :fan:

• Like 2

From the highlights so far this season it looks like the inter play between Cadden, tanner and Bigi could be fun to watch this year. Especially since their understanding is still developing.

It is also encouraging that we have decent options on the bench, both as cover and for tactical switches.

There is a definite change in the style of play from last year, in that we seem to have one, and from what I've seen it is more patient and focused on keeping the ball down. Some of the play is reminiscent of how I've seen the u20s play in the last couple of years.

Now, there's the usual caveat of lower opposition, etc. but I'm more positive than I was this time last year, so that must count for something? Realistically fighting for 6th is probably the best we'll do, but I'll take hat for now.

• Like 1

Just looking at the groups and you would expect us, Hearts, Falkirk and Ayr to take full points. The Dundee Derby group winner will probably also have full points if there is a winner in that game.

If five teams all finish on 12 points the worst goal difference will be unseeded in the next round. We are in a strong position at the moment but it should be good motivation not to take our foot off the gas in the final two games.

People saying we looked fitter than in recent seasons. Got to figure that part of this is down to an average age in the starting eleven yesterday of just under 24. A couple of us mentioned at the game yesterday how young the team was in comparison to previous seasons. Pleasingly only Kipré doesn't have a fair number of games under his belt despite this stat...

• Like 1

See , I dont see it as belittling, as the level of opposition is indeed very significant.

and boy do I recall losing to such opposition, it doesnt mean the game and the positives and negatives shouldnt be mulled over?

as a risk averse type of character , I'm still wary of the future, less so than a few weeks back , but still wary.

for example the 3 at the back or is it 4? how many minutes did Tait spend in out first third?

do you think a higher level of oppostion would have capitalised on that, sure we might have reacted and closed the gap etc

I actually think Duffy would've done something but for losing Harkins, guess I might be over thinking it, but thats all part of the experience?

Some good points there but as Morton were already 2-0 down and offering no threat when Harkins was sent off I don't think Duffy could have changed the outcome.

3 at the back doesn't seem to be popular on here and I understand concerns however Robbo used it extensively last season and I think it will be his preferred option in most games this year. He tightened up our defence last season and a lot of our goals conceded were due to individual mistakes from a bomb scare defender and flapping gkeeper rather than because it was a back 3.

Under Robbo we have not lost a game by more than 1 goal and now he has arguably better players who will be better protected by McHugh and Biggi, and a keeper who looks more capable so I am less worried than some about a back 3, and I trust his judgement about when to play it or go back 4.

However as you quite rightly say we will find out soon enough against tougher opposition !

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I love how people can walk away with completely different interpretations of events from the same football match.

Ya Bezzar said "Kipre is good on the ball but unfortunately that's about 10% of defending and I just feel that there are errors in his game."

Melvin Bragg said Kipre "Looks to have a mistake in him but there could be potential there".

Just a question because I'm not there to see it. What in Kipre's play gives the impression there are errors in his game or that he has a mistake in him?

Oh and I'm just glad Sinjy isn't an English scout coming to look at Louis Moult

I love how people can walk away with completely different interpretations of events from the same football match.

Ya Bezzar said "Kipre is good on the ball but unfortunately that's about 10% of defending and I just feel that there are errors in his game."

Melvin Bragg said Kipre "Looks to have a mistake in him but there could be potential there".

Just a question because I'm not there to see it. What in Kipre's play gives the impression there are errors in his game or that he has a mistake in him?

Oh and I'm just glad Sinjy isn't an English scout coming to look at Louis Moult

Scout from ,Sheffield United collecting his tickets in front of me yesterday....