League Cup 2017'18 Next: Celtic F (Hampden) 26/11/17 15:00

gdalli10

Can't really grumble at three wins on the trot at the very start of a new season with about half the team being new players.

Bit of perspective needed from anyone who is not happy about that. Last nights game was never going to be a walk over based on us changing a lot of the players, it was a plastic pitch and factor in we have the wee group pretty much down up after saturdays win.

I still think this season will be a bottom half struggle as I don't think we have the squad size or creative quality to push for top six. Few injurys and we are going to struggle.

I hope to be proved wrong though!

I think Robinson and Craigan have been clear in the press that if he moves on we have options for a replacement lined up.

I wonder how long that 'option' sits about waiting on Motherwell, who are in turn waiting on any Club meeting our valuation? The last thing we want is for Moult to leave in the last day or two of the window a la Johnson and be left either high and dry, or for us to panic buy someone else.

The only way I could see an 'option' just hanging about waiting, is if its a loan deal.

I wonder how long that 'option' sits about waiting on Motherwell, who are in turn waiting on any Club meeting our valuation? The last thing we want is for Moult to leave in the last day or two of the window a la Johnson and be left either high and dry, or for us to panic buy someone else.

The only way I could see an 'option' just hanging about waiting, is if its a loan deal.

Yeah I agree. The longer this drags on the worse it gets for us, definitely. You have to hope that it might be a purchase rather than a free agent signing.

We could easily have been 3 or 4 up within 20 minutes. Apart from Bowman's early miss, Fisher did well to get a head on a few crosses but he had a glaring miss from a close range free header which he put straight at the keeper.

We then seemed to lose momentum and were not as threatening in the second half with the crosses generally being played from deep rather than Frear trying to get them over from near the bye line. That changed admittedly with the introduction of Cadden but that was my first game this season and I was alarmed by our lack of creativity.

Can't really grumble at three wins on the trot at the very start of a new season with about half the team being new players........ Last nights game was never going to be a walk over based on us changing a lot of the players, it was a plastic pitch and factor in we have the wee group pretty much down up after saturdays win.

Pretty much agree with that. If Bowman had scored early on it would have been a different game. The pitch was absolutely horrific; I didn't realise just how poor until half time. Two City subs were passing the ball 10/15 yards on the deck to each other and l couldn't believe how much the ball bobbled about. City were always going to park their bus and play out of their skins. An indication of their intentions was that, at times, they tripled, not doubled up on Frear.

We created a lot of chances but their keeper was only required to make one decent save in the whole game. Cross after cross went into our opponents box but we couldn't finish them off. Irrespective of the line up we should be able to beat a team like Edinburgh City. Given a free choice, I doubt if Robbo would have chosen the team he played. Some players missed out because of the pitch while others were played in unsuitable roles eg Rose.

Cadden and Tanner made a difference when they came on and that turned the game in our favour. As the game wore on I thought it more and more likely that City would score and it was no surprise when they did. We've seen that scenario play out many times before in games which we've dominated. But, we were the better team and we won.

letdown but we can't judge him on last night. Still last night it was job done and the fixture gave some more players game time.

I am sorry I thought it was a good decision by McManus not to tackle as it would have been a definite red card.

Why Frear did not shoot when he decided to miss pass the ball to Edinburgh City player that led to the pass that made their goal.

You seriously blaming Frear? Law of averages and the fact the correct decision was to not go it alone.

It would only be a red card if his tackle missed the ball. Which again would be on McManus no one else.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, I've not made any of the three games so far (caught the Queen's Park game on the telly) but I'm unsurprised to see the internet have obituaries for our season already. So much so I have already left a “Well Fans II” facebook group I joined on Saturday (it was a long five days).

It’s been pointed out that we are the only top-flight side to win their first three league cup games. That tells you that we have a lot less to moan about than other teams. I’d much rather have been a ‘Well fan than an Accies or Hearts fan last night for sure.

Had we made such hard work of a game like last night’s in November or something, I’d be more concerned, but as competitive as these games are, they are still to an extent going to have the match fitness slant on them that friendlies do. Add to that the fact that we beat Queen’s Park and Morton by four goals. No matter who we are playing, we can’t expect to continually go out and scud teams, I don’t know what earned us that divine right.

So we played Edinburgh City, who recovered from us missing a sitter early on by all accounts to then score a breakaway when we had all the possession and pressure. That happens in football, even “The invincibles” managed to get beat by a team from Gibraltar at this stage last season.

Our team last night had McManus (first game since February), MacLean (first game since December), McMillan (first game since March, first start under Robinson) and Rose (making his full debut). There’s going to be an obvious rustiness to that. The fact that we avoided having to use Moult or Hammell on a plastic pitch was also a pro.

The only thing I’m perhaps aggrieved with so far is the reports on Frear. I thought last season that he didn’t suit the wing back role and was only being used there as a stop gap due to personnel almost dictating both our line up and our formation. Whilst I think he did a stellar job there and played a massive role in us staying up, it seems reports suggest we won’t get the best out of him in this role. Robinson seems intent on a three at the back formation and if it works as a whole then it’s not worth changing for one man, but it is disappointing to see such a creative outlet in the team so supressed.

• Like 4

I noticed last night that Motherwell are the only premiership side that has taken 3 wins from 3 in the group stages of the betfred cup so far, I'd say thats a decent achievement given the number of new guys we have brought in are still gelling into the squad. The one thing i have been encouraged by is the number of goals from other areas of the pitch rather having to rely on Moult all the time, that said if Moult played last night, we would've won by a bigger margin as he'd bury some of the chances missed by Fisher.

When we were dossing around in the old First Division, the Berwick Rangers games at Fir Park were typically the worst of the season. Dave (baldy) Smith was the player-manager and brought am entire new level of park-the-bus and time wasting to the game.

Brutal.

Hopefully, this one will be a bit more entertaining.

• Like 1

When we were dossing around in the old First Division, the Berwick Rangers games at Fir Park were typically the worst of the season. Dave (baldy) Smith was the player-manager and brought am entire new level of park-the-bus and time wasting to the game.

Brutal.

Hopefully, this one will be a bit more entertaining.

My you've a long memory.

Back to the game itself, I'm just relieved that we won. The result is all that matters. That said, had we drawn or lost it would have been fairly embarrassing. Considering the struggles other Premiership clubs are having and considering our results against Morton and Berwick, I'm willing to put this game into context and just be pleased with the three points.

What happened against Berwick, so I can decide whether to go on Saturday or save myself £12. :ph34r:

I've got some fond memories of Berwick away in those days. I went on the old Bellshill Bus with my old man who went to games with guys Bobby Allan, Jim Baillie and Joe Maguire (who now and again I still see faithfully making his way to and from Fir Park). I was only in Primary 2 so Berwick away on a bus was some adventure.

Can't remember the result but was mightily impressed by seeing big oil tankers in the North Sea and being completely spooked by all these guys in red and white that I could not understand (Wales were playing at Murrayfield) when we stopped in Musselburgh, which in itself sounded like some mystical sea world.

I also remember a few years later stumbling across the Diary we had to do at school of our weekends that the folks had obviously kept. I mind my old dear laughing because at parents night the teacher was telling them how most of the other weans were writing about going to parks or swimming or relatives and my stories were all about going on a bus to places like Berwick, Stenhousemuir and Ayr.

All a bit sickly maybe but leaving the fitba aside I'm enjoying the thought of playing Berwick simply for the memories it has brought back of that particular time in my life.

• Like 7

I've got some fond memories of Berwick away in those days. I went on the old Bellshill Bus with my old man who went to games with guys Bobby Allan, Jim Baillie and Joe Maguire (who now and again I still see faithfully making his way to and from Fir Park). I was only in Primary 2 so Berwick away on a bus was some adventure.

Can't remember the result but was mightily impressed by seeing big oil tankers in the North Sea and being completely spooked by all these guys in red and white that I could not understand (Wales were playing at Murrayfield) when we stopped in Musselburgh, which in itself sounded like some mystical sea world.

I also remember a few years later stumbling across the Diary we had to do at school of our weekends that the folks had obviously kept. I mind my old dear laughing because at parents night the teacher was telling them how most of the other weans were writing about going to parks or swimming or relatives and my stories were all about going on a bus to places like Berwick, Stenhousemuir and Ayr.

All a bit sickly maybe but leaving the fitba aside I'm enjoying the thought of playing Berwick simply for the memories it has brought back of that particular time in my life.

Bobby Allan, a true gentleman and a Motherwell diehard, 1st met him through the supporters association, he was very knowledgeable football wise and used to organise the association quiz nights, he was also a commentator helping out the blind and partially sighted supporters for years, although some of the commentary was a bit more down to earth than the BBC.

• Like 1

So much so I have already left a Well Fans II facebook group I joined on Saturday (it was a long five days).

Elliott Frear not being fit to wear Marvin Johnson's shirt number was the post that ended my short stay on there.

An absolute gang of puddle drinkers.

• Like 5

Can we set up a separate thread for Well Fans II please? Discussion is starting to go well off topic. We have a game tomorrow; what sort of team should we field? Our strongest 11 with a view to the following weekend or give some fringe players game time?