League Cup 2017'18 Next: Celtic F (Hampden) 26/11/17 15:00

gdalli10

Can we set up a separate thread for Well Fans II please? Discussion is starting to go well off topic. We have a game tomorrow; what sort of team should we field? Our strongest 11 with a view to the following weekend or give some fringe players game time?

I would like to see the strongest 11 given game time, but I think the formation, tactics and personnel for the two games will differ considerably, so the best 11 for tomorrow's game will not be the team we expect to start next week.

I think making wholesale changes is a pretty stupid idea. First of all it weakens the team, secondly I think it has a psychological effect on players performance in the sense that you are giving out the idea that it is an 'easy' game or that it doesn't matter much. It's also not fair on younger or less experienced players who aren't getting the same level of support that arguably they need more than established first team players.

If you want to introduce other players you should be playing your strongest XI with maybe 2 or at a stretch 3 alternated in or out. Once you start making 4, 5, 6 changes I think you are not even really learning much about the players you are putting out there.

• Like 1

Get the strongest 11 out. Get the game put to bed early then rest those that require protecting for next week.

We need to be seeded for knock out stage to give us best chance of progressing.

• Like 1

Aye, I'd like to see what Robbie thinks more or less is our strongest 11, give or take a couple of players. No fucking about.

Pretty sure that Carson, Bigi, Kipre, Dunne, Cadden,McHugh, Tait, Frear, Tanner are nailed down.

At the moment I would add Fisher to that list. I think it's obvious that he's rated well ahead of Bowman. Not sure what will happen if and when Moult is fit though can't see us going with 2 out and out forwards.

Hoping Moult starts today. Robinson seemed to be saying he might on the press I was reading this morning online. I'd imagine Heneghan is going to be out by the comments so I think we will see

Carson

Kipre McManus Dunne

Tait Cadden Bigi McHugh Frear

Tanner

Moult (or Fisher)

Hope we field half a team of youngsters.

As opposed to last week when the average age of the starting eleven was under 24?

Only area that I'd be keen to see an U20 would be at centre half. Sure McManus needs the game time but if we're actively looking to sell Heneghan and McManus is going to have to be managed carefully fitness wise, it might be an idea to see what the likes of Maguire or Watt can offer in a back three...

• Like 1

I guess it all depends on who needs the games most. Robinson stated in the press conference that they have been carefully "managing minutes" as I think he put it so no reason to think that won't be the case again today.

All things being equal I wouldn't be averse to the likes of McMillan and MacLean getting another start along with involvement at some stages from Gordon and Campbell. I thought Rose was fairly anonymous in midweek but wouldn't be against him getting a further start to help bring him up to speed and see what he has to offer when he's at full fitness.

Up front is perhaps the tricky one. Moult, you obviously wanted primed as much as possible for next Sunday so you would hope we'd get at least 45 minutes from him. Fisher I'd like to see included in the hope he'll get that first goal. Bowman has of course scored a couple in pre-season and at Hampden but it would do his confidence no harm either to continue to score going into the league campaign.

1. Motherwell subs: Griffiths, Frear, Bowman, Fisher, Newell, McMillan, Gordon

0 replies7 retweets16 likes
    Retweet
    Direct message
  2. Motherwell: Carson, Tait, Hammell, Bigirimana, Cadden, McHugh, Moult, Rose, Dunne, Kipré, Tanner

Not sure what to make of that lineup. Not sure who would play left midfield or left wing back in that setup. Honestly can't see a shape that makes sense.

At a push..

Carson

Tait Kipre Dunne Hammell

Rose McHugh Bigirmana

Cadden Moult Tanner

Will surely be 3 at the back with Tait playing right midfield and Cadden and Tanner supporting the striker.