League Cup 2017'18 Next: Celtic F (Hampden) 26/11/17 15:00

gdalli10

Aye thought that was pretty flat this afternoon, hoping that it's just due to already qualifying. Felt more like a friendly at times. I wanted us to come out the traps at a quick pace like we did last week but just never really happened. In terms of positives I thought Kipre looks very promising albeit against weak opposition. I genuinely donthink this guy could do well for us. His technique is classy at times and he is an imposing stature. Frear was good at times too, probably our biggest threat. I just wish he would have more confidence to drive at defenders because he does have good ability. Dunne done played pretty well at times too but still some question marks regarding his passing. Overall I thought our passing and rhythm going forward wasn't the greatest. This pumping balls into the box is decent but feel that Robinson tends to hang his hat on it saying we had 40 crosses a game etc. The crosses need to be decent, some of them today were floaty nothing balls. In saying that there was a few Fisher and Moult could have done more with. Moult was sluggish but will give him good game time for next week. I thought that Newell boy I looked really quick and has something about him. Hard to say against that level of club though. My biggest fear is with the Hammell/Heneghan injuries that next week McHugh gets moved back to centre back. This would be a big miss in the middle of the park as im not convinced by Rose and Bigi having the same sort of impact there.

Hopeful for next week but I think iwe need to up the pace and try to catch Rangers new boys flat footed. It's hard to judge where we are to be honest but won't be long until we find out

We can't have run out of centre halves already, we need McHugh in the middle.

Heneghan had a tight hamstring and McManus was dropped from the squad for being dreadful so outside them there isn't anyone else bar McHugh who can fill in. Maybe they would look at under 20s and see if they can find someone who can do a Ben Hall and cement a place in the team

• Like 1

Heneghan had a tight hamstring and McManus was dropped from the squad for being dreadful so outside them there isn't anyone else bar McHugh who can fill in. Maybe they would look at under 20s and see if they can find someone who can do a Ben Hall and cement a place in the team

Just on this point. We should have had another centre back in a month ago. Will be really disappointed if McHugh has to cover there next week

• Like 1

Hard to judge with only the mixlr commentary to go by, but it sounded like we had most of the game and couldn't create any decent chances, instead went for hitting as many crosses as we could.

Newell seemed to do well when he came on, and sounded like the persistent kind of forward we all like. Also good to see rose get the full game, and moult stretched out to 60 minutes. Not sure why we put mchugh at the back, hopefully just a way to get rose into a game.

Really want Fisher to score soon, it seems that his timing/anticipation isn't up to scratch yet, which is disappointing as I thought he'd be the guy to hit the ground running after his finish to last season.

Oh, and I feel that Frear and Tait could be our top assist providers this year, and I fancy them both to get a few goals each too.

I feel a bit mixed ... It was a poor game but I think the midfield is stronger than last year .... Dunne , Kripie , McHugh are better than we had last year , we are trying to pass the ball at pace , we get into good position but oh my fuck the final ball is desperate. The guy Newell looks like he might have something about him. So Im still more hopeful than pessimistic right now.

Today was my first game of the season and was looking forward to seeing the new players in the flesh. Against a league 2 side I expected more. Credit to Berwick, they dug in and made it difficult.

The stand out players today for me where Cadden and Frear. They looked like they could make something happen but final ball lacking sometimes.

I was looking forward to seeing the likes of Bigi, tanner and rose. I never really noticed any of them. Bigi at times looked a bit lightweight and didn't appear to have any significant impact on the fame.

Moult huffed and puffed but didn't blow anything down. I'll put this down to rustiness but on today's showing he should grab the new contract on offer.

Biggest surprise thou was Fisher. He looked like a fish out o water. Timing was way out. Jacob Blythe in disguise. Again benefit of the doubt but first impressions sometimes stick.

Let's see where we are in a few weeks. Difficult to tell how these games against lower opposition prepare you for the game next week.

Bit one dimensional going forward, most good stuff came through Frear or Newell (latterly) but we just about got the job done. Not much to remember this one by in a few weeks but unless Dundee win the derby tomorrow we're the only Premiership club with four wins out of four which is very encouraging given the turnover in the squad and the last two games have proved we can dig one out when not at our best. Hopefully hump Rangers next which should give us a great momentum for the next round and first few league games.

I thought Newell looked frail when he came on but he was full of energy, mobile and could easily have scored two goals. Mr Fisher please take note. Quite encouraged by his twenty minutes.

Louis doesn't look fit yet. Didn't detect much love for Robinson when Moult was substituted. Happy for Frear because he tried hard all game. I just wish he would cut inside more. On instructions to keep outside and hit the line?

We really missed McHugh in midfield today. I thought Rose was pretty anonymous.

If you're feeling less than confident after today, think Hearts.

Oh, mummydaddy!

Thought the first half was just okay today. Berwick parked the bus, which is fair enough, making it difficult to play through them. The only option was to get round the sides and Frear put numerous balls into dangerous areas without any of our players seemingly able to attack them.

Second half I thought our intensity dropped and we ran out of ideas. Our play got sloppy as a result and it was more relief than joy when we eventually scored.

A few of our players seemed off the pace today but best to reserve judgement until we have played a full round of league games and everyone is up to same fitness level and the team know each other better.

Robinson said in post match interview that the management team are only about 60% happy with where we are. Id say thats about right.

For all the last 2 games have been frustrating and a close call, the positive thing is we've kept at it and eventually ground out the results.

Ball retention has been pretty good as well, although youd maybe expect that given the opposition.

So. If I have done my maths right, the seedings will look like this:

Seeds: Celtic, Aberdeen, Rangers, St Johnstone, Ayr, Falkirk, Motherwell, Dundee/Dundee Utd.

Non-seeds: Dunfermline, Livingston, Hamilton, Dundee/Dundee Utd, Hibs, Ross County, Partick, Kilmarnock.

One thing that showed today is that Moult is miles away from being fully fit, i'd go as far saying he's nowhere near fit enough for the rangers game next weekend, thats the worst i've seen him today but i put that down to his lack of fitness/match sharpness.

He'll have another week to work towards full fitness but yeah, perhaps a place on the bench would be best.

In my view Moult hasn't often played that well without McDonald to support him and today was certainly not one of his best performances.

He also just didn't look happy today whether it was fitness, lack of support or perhaps behinds the scenes stuff and all the speculation around him.

Second half I thought our intensity dropped and we ran out of ideas. Our play got sloppy as a result and it was more relief than joy when we eventually scored.

It's a funny old game, isn't it? I thought the exact opposite! The first half just seemed like a training match, and we didn't seem that bothered. I thought we had much more application in the second half, and created more as a result, with Tanner, Frear, and Cadden all having more of a bearing on proceedings.

It simply didn't happen for Fisher today, and he seems to be an easy target for the boo boys already. Hopefully he just needs a bit of luck for it all to come together. Not Moult's best today, but pleased with the impact Newell had. He seemed quick, clever, and keen to make an impact. Could be an additional option up front that we perhaps weren't expecting to have.

Bigi strolled it at times, and I thought Dunne and Kipre grew into the game well despite a bit of a shaky start. We really missed McHugh in midfield though, so I hope we have a solution for our defensive issues.

All in all, we did what was required, and I'm not too fussed about the fact we made hard work of it at times as we never really needed to get out of second gear. 100% record by any means will do nicely.

• Like 2

He'll have another week to work towards full fitness but yeah, perhaps a place on the bench would be best.

In my view Moult hasn't often played that well without McDonald to support him and today was certainly not one of his best performances.

He also just didn't look happy today whether it was fitness, lack of support or perhaps behinds the scenes stuff and all the speculation around him.

Interesting view, particularly in relation to McDonald.

In this instance though I would tend to think, as steelboy has alluded to, that he was simply frustrated that things weren't going his way today. He can become visibly tetchy when things aren't going well.

It didn't manifest itself in anything like it today but it isn't the first time I've seen him launch himself into a tackle that's bordering on the reckless because frustration has got the better of him.