League Cup 2017'18 Next: Celtic F (Hampden) 26/11/17 15:00

gdalli10

According to their Facebook page, they are all sold out too, but might still be available from The Ballroom Sports Bar.

Cheers Weeyin spoke to them and they need money up front and can't take card over phone but I am stuck up in SleepyLand. Any other advice gratefully received.

There is bus running from Shotts...which given your name me be of use??

4-5-1 is no way to set up for a cup final, it's parking the bus and if we do that a team as good as Celtic will break us down and pump us. Stand off Celtic and you have no chance,get in their faces , high pressing and some pace on the wings ie cadden, Frear or Sid the Lithuanian boy to get in behind them and we have a chance, so it would be 3-5-2 for me.

4-5-1 is only parking the bus if you set it up to play it that way. Tactics and formation are not the same thing.

Hibs line up against Celtic in the 2-2 draw was this.

----------------------Marciano-----------------------------

Whittaker ---Hanlon----Ambrose------Stevenson---

---------------Bartley----McGinn-------------------------

--Slivka---------McGeouch-----------Boyle------------

--------------------Stokes---------------------------------

Hardly parking the bus. You have five bodies in midfield with three primarily attackers.

I agree that we can't sit in and hope to survive but what we can't do is allow Celtic space in the wide areas. For me four at the back is the only way to do that. Also if you want to keep Celtic's full backs, who are both dangerous coming forward, in check then you are much better being able to double up down the wide areas with a wide midfielder and a full back.

Also gives our wide players cover when they are attacking and perhaps they do that more because they aren't thinking "there's nothing behind me".

The amount of space Candeias and Windass got at Hampden last time was ridiculous. We just can't allow that to happen again if we are serious about winning a trophy.

Agree with the that.

As great as we have been for the first quarter of the season, people now know how we set up and how we play. We've lost the surprise element we had and since the quarter final really teams know how to setup to make things difficult and the better teams have the quality to unpick us.

We need to work out a way for the final, and rest of the season also, on how we can tweak the system but keep our intensity and workrate which is one of our huge positives

4-2-3-1 is a decent shout. My main worry is we have played 3 at the back all season. Do we have time to bed in to that system?

4-2-3-1 is a decent shout. My main worry is we have played 3 at the back all season. Do we have time to bed in to that system?

For me the problem with 4-2-3-1 is how do you make Moult, who is probably our greatest asset, effective when he's struggled playing on his own?

My answer is to play him in a deeper position and have Bowman up top. Is it ideal? No. But I think it's the best compromise between having a goal threat and being open at the back.

If it doesn't work but we are at least defensively competent you can change your game plan at 0-0 or 0-1.

If we played Bowman up top we'll just resort to pumping long balls up to him. I don't think that's the way to take on this Celtic team.

Can we play on the carpet against Celtic? I'd love to see McHugh and Dunne's pass completion stats but I bet they are pretty poor. I'm afraid this is a long ball team whether you like it or not.

Celtic's weakest area is central defence. If Bowman can cause them problems, hold the ball up and we get players forward to support him, I don't see that being any less effective than us imagining we are technically good, which we aren't, and trying to thread a pass. This team is all about balls over the top and getting crosses pumped in.

If we have a game plan to get into forward areas of the pitch and we press high up the pitch it can work. It's also the most pragmatic way of keeping the ball away from danger areas.

It won't work if we are sat deep on the 18 yard line and we are simply thumping the ball into empty areas for Celtic to pick up and take possession but it's down to the players and manager to make sure that doesn't happen.

• Like 2

Can we play on the carpet against Celtic? I'd love to see McHugh and Dunne's pass completion stats but I bet they are pretty poor. I'm afraid this is a long ball team whether you like it or not.

Celtic's weakest area is central defence. If Bowman can cause them problems, hold the ball up and we get players forward to support him, I don't see that being any less effective than us imagining we are technically good, which we aren't, and trying to thread a pass. This team is all about balls over the top and getting crosses pumped in.

If we have a game plan to get into forward areas of the pitch and we press high up the pitch it can work. It's also the most pragmatic way of keeping the ball away from danger areas.

It won't work if we are sat deep on the 18 yard line and we are simply thumping the ball into empty areas for Celtic to pick up and take possession but it's down to the players and manager to make sure that doesn't happen.

Guys like Bigi, Frear, Tanner (and I'm assuming Petravičius) can certainly play it on the deck. I think we'd have more success with that than a hapless long ball game. I don't think there's a defence in the SPFL that can't handle aimless punts into the box. There's no defence that likes guys with the ball at their feet and running at them.

Not to say they should all be in the starting line up. We need be using our high pressing game from the get-go. But if all we do with our possession is pump it high and long, we might as well not bother showing up.

Im not sure what our starting 11 and game plan should be. I can see flaws and merit in every permutation.

The unfortunate reality is that I even if we get it absolutely spot on, Celtic will still probably be too good for us.

Watching Motherwell in a cup final is not to be sniffed at though and Im really looking forward to the build up and the time before the game starting.

The unfortunate reality is that I even if we get it absolutely spot on, Celtic will still probably be too good for us.

Probably worth re-iterating that no formation or team selection guarantees anything and if Celtic hit form and we don't you are probably looking at 0-3 and upwards.

However we have to create game conditions that favour us and I don't think a passing game with the players we have is in our interest. We can't compete technically with Celtic but we can physically. So why on earth would you play a technical game?

As I said earlier Robinson has us set up that way and that's the way we will play - the big question is really 4 at the back or 3, not what our style of play will be.

Two things we do have, are guys with excellent and accurate delivery (most of the time), and guys that are strong and good in the air. The fact that Centre Back including Craig Gordon dealing with crosses is Celtic's weak point means there's only one tactic to play for me.

If we win this game our goals will come from balls into the box. If we spend 90 minutes firing 50 balls at their penalty spot, and get joy from just two of them. I'll be more than happy. (Although I'm also not convinced that would be enough).

• Like 1

If we win this game our goals will come from balls into the box. If we spend 90 minutes firing 50 balls at their penalty spot, and get joy from just two of them. I'll be more than happy. (Although I'm also not convinced that would be enough).

50 balls into the box is unrealistic- we will be lucky to get 20 crosses in the game.

We can realistically expect to be on the backfoot for a lot of the game but hopefully our defending and keeper will be at the top of their game with Celtic having a poor game.

Hopefully Celtic's midweek euro game will take a lot out of them, combined with our improved fitness this year, so probably another reason to try and make it a physical stamina sapping game as we probably have a chance of winning that battle. Once you get tired your thinking starts to suffer and your execution suffers as well so lets go make it the style of game we have a chance of winning.

50 balls into the box is unrealistic- we will be lucky to get 20 crosses in the game.

Im sure you understand the concept of emphasis by exaggeration....

Attempts at pretty football are pointless in this game, we'll get destroyed. Get the ball and smash it into the box, and concentrate on the front men getting into good positions early before their backline has a chance to set itself.

• Like 1