League Cup 2017'18 Next: Celtic F (Hampden) 26/11/17 15:00

gdalli10

My 1991 scarf is the one I bought when the 'Well shop was in Windmillhill Street, opposite the Rex, in about 19-canteen. It's still being worn but I'm scared to wash it in case it disintegrates. I've bought a few others over the years but I keep going back to that one.

If you're after quirky (that's code for shite) omens then the Final is in the bag.

I have never seen a football related garden gnome in my life until prior to the '91 Final when someone made these two for me and my sister. They were christened Dougie and, ten out of ten for originality, Wee Dougie.

Oddly enough it was only two or three months back and the skin and blister stumbled across them in a clear out and gave me the "take them or bin" ultimatum. I couldn't lob them so they've been soaking up the rays in the sunny Bargeddieshire ever since.

gnomes.jpg

And then just like in 1991 completely out of blue in advance of the Final what suddenly appears in the shop.....

gnomes2.jpg

It's in the bag!!

• Like 10

If you're after quirky (that's code for shite) omens then the Final is in the bag.

I have never seen a football related garden gnome in my life until prior to the '91 Final when someone made these two for me and my sister. They were christened Dougie and, ten out of ten for originality, Wee Dougie.

Oddly enough it was only two or three months back and the skin and blister stumbled across them in a clear out and gave me the "take them or bin" ultimatum. I couldn't lob them so they've been soaking up the rays in the sunny Bargeddieshire ever since.

attachicon.gifgnomes.jpg

And then just like in 1991 completely out of blue in advance of the Final what suddenly appears in the shop.....

attachicon.gifgnomes2.jpg

It's in the bag!!

The last few years they were probably in with a chance of getting a game !!

Not sure when I bought my scarf but I when I was travelling from Austin, for the 1991 final, it was worn for the whole journey, Including an overnight stay in Paris. On the day of the final I'm wandering up to the turnstile at Hampden and some stranger shouts to me "Hey! I saw you the other day at the airport in Paris" Won't be at this final but already started saving for May :-)

• Like 2

I would absolutely fucking love it if we won this with a totally undeserved Craig Reid at Pittodrie-esque injury time winner. Bowman or Hartley to score, preferably while breaking a Celtic player's nose and going unpunished.

One thing absolutely guaranteed is that Celtic will get every 50/50 going and Thompson will be desperate to get his cards out for our "thugs", would love a dodgy goal winner but the ref knows he would be absolutely crucified for that. No way thats happening. Scott Brown on the other hand, could bite our keepers ear off going for a high ball and probably still win a penatly for it

• Like 1

One thing absolutely guaranteed is that Celtic will get every 50/50 going and Thompson will be desperate to get his cards out for our "thugs"

By the looks of it in the papers, Stephen Robinson has pre-emptively alluded to this scenario.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/1861139/motherwell-stephen-robinson-craig-thomson-celtic-brendan-rodgers-betfred-cup/

One thing absolutely guaranteed is that Celtic will get every 50/50 going and Thompson will be desperate to get his cards out for our "thugs", would love a dodgy goal winner but the ref knows he would be absolutely crucified for that. No way thats happening. Scott Brown on the other hand, could bite our keepers ear off going for a high ball and probably still win a penatly for it

Celtic and Rangers used to get absolutely everything going but I genuinely don't think that's the case anymore. I seem to recall McGeady getting a red card in 2009 vs Hibs for diving and it felt absolutely monumental that a ref had the balls to do that. Since then, they've had a share of bad decisions. Not necessarily a fair share, but a share nonetheless.

That said - I think you are 100% right about Celtic getting every 50/50 going. Celtic will be looking for anything to turn into advantage and Rodgers grabbed the first chance with both hands by wading into the Bowman / Cardoso fiasco at the first opportunity. That was the start of his gameplan and the message will be right through the squad to make our physicality look illegal.

Ref's need to be smart and strong - unfortunately we don't have many smart and strong refs in Scotland.

By the looks of it in the papers, Stephen Robinson has pre-emptively alluded to this scenario.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/1861139/motherwell-stephen-robinson-craig-thomson-celtic-brendan-rodgers-betfred-cup/

Excellent stuff from Robinson.

Good way of addressing my fears posted above. (Posted before I read that by the way).

I would absolutely fucking love it if we won this with a totally undeserved Craig Reid at Pittodrie-esque injury time winner. Bowman or Hartley to score, preferably while breaking a Celtic player's nose and going unpunished.

I'd be delighted with the totally undeserved winner, cos that's fitba'. Being a liberal old sap, though, I'd much rather win without getting away with anything we shouldn't have got away with. Fair and square always feels ten times better.

Robinson said: Craig Thomson is a good referee and Ive got total respect for him. I dont think he will be influenced by what others say.

Clever from him.

See we are 10/1 to win . I'll be having some of that. That will be the cherry on top of the big feck off cup winners cake

I put £20 on us v Aberdeen in Cup at 6/1

I put £20 on us v Rangers in Cup at 6/1

I have just put £20 on to beat Celtic in the Cup Final at 10/1

I will have pocketed £440 by the time Carl McHugh lifts the trophy on Sunday.

I am the biggest pessimist on the planet as far as Motherwell are concerned but i just cant shake the feeling that our name is on the Cup.

Celtic and Rangers used to get absolutely everything going but I genuinely don't think that's the case anymore. I seem to recall McGeady getting a red card in 2009 vs Hibs for diving and it felt absolutely monumental that a ref had the balls to do that. Since then, they've had a share of bad decisions. Not necessarily a fair share, but a share nonetheless.

That said - I think you are 100% right about Celtic getting every 50/50 going. Celtic will be looking for anything to turn into advantage and Rodgers grabbed the first chance with both hands by wading into the Bowman / Cardoso fiasco at the first opportunity. That was the start of his gameplan and the message will be right through the squad to make our physicality look illegal.

Ref's need to be smart and strong - unfortunately we don't have many smart and strong refs in Scotland.

I totally agree the number occasions where the diddies have won in the cups against the OF in the last 10 years is incredible. Its almost as if the authorities finally realise multiple winners boost or game. That said the big crowd and Celtic trying to con the ref could play a huge part.

I'm just glad not to be reading any "Celtic are a great team, so we'll have to play our best and hope to catch them on an off day" patter.

McCall drained any enthusiasm I had out of the last cup final, I went out of duty but never even thought 1% that we could win. A solid week of McCall bleating on about how much our budget was being cut and how good Celtic were did me in

How refreshing that this time, even though Celtic are 10 times better, Im looking forward to sunday and am even confident of us winning!

• Like 1

McCall drained any enthusiasm I had out of the last cup final, I went out of duty but never even thought 1% that we could win. A solid week of McCall bleating on about how much our budget was being cut and how good Celtic were did me in

How refreshing that this time, even though Celtic are 10 times better, Im looking forward to sunday and am even confident of us winning!

McCall , Butcher and McGhee were a nightmare in the lead up to big games against the OF.They always spent the week getting their excuses in and Ive always been convinced they had the players accepting "oh well its OK to lose cos thats whats expected" I hate that mentality it runs through Scottish Football like a cancer.

• Like 2

Couldnt agree more with the last 2 posts. I have never been as pissed off as I was after the 2011 final (not even after Albion Rovers!!!) And thats saying something. Even a bottle of excellent red wine had no affect. I thought if the players and management don't believe then whats the point....not this time though it all feels different

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Reading papers these days are enjoyable every well player saying we can win this remains to be seen if we can but with this belief we certainly have a big chance . For once we are not beat before game starts its 11 v 11 and there run must end sometime and hopefully it will be Sunday . The other thing nobody is saying is we are going to win either ,just that we can win so no over confidence really enjoying this built up for once as no negativity whatsoever .

Maybe clutching at straws, but I think Celtic being away to PSG midweek is massive. The additional game, travelling etc will have an impact on their preparations no matter how many they rotate. Meanwhile we have a full week to recover, focus on our gameplan with no distractions.