League Cup 2017'18 Next: Celtic F (Hampden) 26/11/17 15:00

gdalli10

Celtic had 70% possession. If that's not chasing the game what is?

I often disagree with Ya Bezzer's comments, but I'm with him on this. We coped reasonably well with Celtic in the first half, but didn't really threaten. Dodgy pen or not, when they scored the first we were in trouble.

Didn't quite hit the heights we have in some other games this season and looked like the occasion got to a few as we struggled to string consecutive passes together at times.

Played well enough not to get hammered, but not quite well enough to look like we'd nick it. Onwards and upwards to the next crack at them. Will require a little more guile, but we have players that offer that if we play them.

• Like 1

Conceding posession isn't chasing the game. We absolutely contained Celtic brilliantly in the first half with, I believe, the intention of switching it up around the 55/60 minute mark with a change or two. It worked perfectly until the goal, and even at that point all it caused us to do was bring our plan forward by 10 minutes or so. The penalty changed the whole thing...that doesn't happen, we are able to stick to our game plan and it would have been an extremely different 2nd half. Even in the short time between the 2 goals Tanner was already getting some joy down the left, that wasn't just by chance.

People can say it wasn't going for us all they want, but that game was going exactly to plan until Forrest's goal, and even that didn't alter it too drastically.

WELL said mate my thoughts exactly!

I really don't think some of you are getting this: Thomson outdid even JRP Arsehole of Gordon-on-Tay in the 1975 semi-final. Not only was it a blatant dive but there is no justification for sending Cedric off. Moult would never get a penalty against Tierney, because the latter is simply the most wonderful player in the Multiverse: Brendan has said so on several occasions, QED.

One of the reasons Scottish football has shed crowds is because supporters of smaller teams know they are at least a man down before they start. Thomson is either completely incompetent or a cheat. Either way, take up a hobby like quilt-making.

Our game is deeply corrupt and our sports journalists hopelessly compromised.

Having said all that, I'll be there on Wednesday to cheer on my team, of whom I am proud.

• Like 2

I really don't think some of you are getting this: Thomson outdid even JRP Arsehole of Gordon-on-Tay in the 1975 semi-final. Not only was it a blatant dive but there is no justification for sending Cedric off. Moult would never get a penalty against Tierney, because the latter is simply the most wonderful player in the Multiverse: Brendan has said so on several occasions, QED.

One of the reasons Scottish football has shed crowds is because supporters of smaller teams know they are at least a man down before they start. Thomson is either completely incompetent or a cheat. Either way, take up a hobby like quilt-making.

Our game is deeply corrupt and our sports journalists hopelessly compromised.

Having said all that, I'll be there on Wednesday to cheer on my team, of whom I am proud.

I'll be there too, but never been so concerned to see Thomson's smug smile when he sent our player off. I found it quite scary. He did it when he sent our guys off against

St Johnston. Is it me?

Edited by tintowellfan

From what I've read thus far I'm likely to be echoing much of what has already been said.

I think much of what we believed beforehand was proved to be correct. We certainly didn't freeze. We had a gameplan that we appeared assured and confident in carrying out. And we knew that Celtic when they pushed forward had the quality to cause us problems. We saw all of that.

I thought we were solid and stuffy in the first half. Nothing startling going forward but well in it and had limited Celtic's attacking threat. We did look quite edgy on a couple of occasions but through weight of numbers or desire we managed to clear our lines.

Certainly I don't think we were troubled in that first half to the same extent we had been in the Semi Final and you wondered perhaps if we could grow into the game as we did that afternoon we might have a wee chance.

As it was though those thoughts didn't last too long when they went ahead. I thought it was a good response on and off the park with Robinson swift to make a positive change and it almost paying immediate dividends with the chance that forced a tremendous save from Gordon and the penalty appeal shortly after.

And suddenly it was all but over. It was always going to be a tall order against Celtic with a full compliment so being a man down and two goals behind pretty much made it damage limitation from there on in.

It all leaves a frustating feeling of what might have been. We can only speculate how things might have gone if Thomson hadn't made another of those increasingly regular "honest mistakes". We might have got ripped spectacularly on the break as we chased the game. We might just as easily have snatched an equaliser, gained the momentum and turned the game on its head. We'll never know.

I found myself feeling really proud towards the end though. The game all but lost but the team still trying to their best to snatch a goal. The vast majority of the support remaining in their seats and singing loudly whilst the the majority of the Celtic support were simply stood clock watching.

The team were very much deserving of the rich applause and backing that came their way at the end for their efforts today and throughout the competition as a whole.

The Cup is gone but we were far from disgraced and I hope amongst this group of players will be a desire to right the wrong of today. That it's whetted their appetite to go one better either in the Scottish Cup or League Cup next year.

More immediately there's a quick-fire opportunity to gain a measure of revenge for today. Perhaps that fixture scheduling may prove to be no bad thing in terms of Wednesday.

I just wonder if we get to bring our own ref next time...

• Like 10

Nope.

"Totally accidental" therefore according to the btsport pundits; not a penalty.

Absolute bollocks. It was a penalty. If you are clumsy in the box it leads to penalties.

See, I agree it was an accident, Tierney didnt mean to bring Moult down, but he was clumsy and did do it! If that hadnt happened, Moult had an open goal so its 100% a pen. No red card and not malicious but clumsy and a foul

From what I've read thus far I'm likely to be echoing much of what has already been said.

I think much of what we believed beforehand was proved to be correct. We certainly didn't freeze. We had a gameplan that we appeared assured and confident in carrying out. And we knew that Celtic when they pushed forward had the quality to cause us problems. We saw all of that.

I thought we were solid and stuffy in the first half. Nothing startling going forward but well in it and had limited Celtic's attacking threat. We did look quite edgy on a couple of occasions but through weight of numbers or desire we managed to clear our lines.

Certainly I don't think we were troubled in that first half to the same extent we had been in the Semi Final and you wondered perhaps if we could grow into the game as we did that afternoon we might have a wee chance.

As it was though those thoughts didn't last too long when they went ahead. I thought it was a good response on and off the park with Robinson swift to make a positive change and it almost paying immediate dividends with the chance that forced a tremendous save from Gordon and the penalty appeal shortly after.

And suddenly it was all but over. It was always going to be a tall order against Celtic with a full compliment so being a man down and two goals behind pretty much made it damage limitation from there on in.

It all leaves a frustating feeling of what might have been. We can only speculate how things might have gone if Thomson hadn't made another of those increasingly regular "honest mistakes". We might have got ripped spectacularly on the break as we chased the game. We might just as easily have snatched an equaliser, gained the momentum and turned the game on its head. We'll never know.

I found myself feeling really proud towards the end though. The game all but lost but the team still trying to their best to snatch a goal. The vast majority of the support remaining in their seats and singing loudly whilst the the majority of the Celtic support were simply stood clock watching.

The team were very much deserving of the rich applause and backing that came their way at the end for their efforts today and throughout the competition as a whole.

The Cup is gone but we were far from disgraced and I hope amongst this group of players will be a desire to right the wrong of today. That it's whetted their appetite to go one better either in the Scottish Cup or League Cup next year.

More immediately there's a quick-fire opportunity to gain a measure of revenge for today. Perhaps that fixture scheduling may prove to be no bad thing in terms of Wednesday.

I just wonder if we get to bring our own ref next time...

Spot on. Could not have said it better. The game plan was screwed by the eejit in the black. So pleased to see so many of us staying to show appreciation of the team.

I said when Thompson announced as ref we were in trouble , shot down by everybody as said referee will not decide game well just in and watched Moult being accidently being triped by Tierney but accident or not its a goal scoring opportunity so should be red card and penalty and a minute later Sinclair dives and says after game felt touch so went down (Dive In other words ) and were 2 down and man down . I dont think fir a minute we would have won if Thomson not a blatant cheat but would have been nice to win or lose on players performances not a referee decision .

• Like 1

Ref was the usual disgrace. Never a penalty, how he can give a red card is beyond disgraceful! Not saying we would've won but at 1-0 we had a chance. They had not really created much. Any chance we had was wiped away by the incompetent ref.

Of course, Celtic fans to a man are saying Kipré should've been sent off in the first half, and thus the incompetence evened itself out...

Lesson learned today. Don't get tickets in row e next to well Bois. I am sorry and criticise all you want but why do guys pay £30 for a ticket and not even watch the game. The atmosphere in that area not great and what was guy in red jacket at end all about!!. But hey ho let's make sure we win on Wednesday. Also Sellik fans best in world?? My a**e....said nowt until they scored and as usual nick everyone's songs. Amazed they didn't sing ohhhhhhhhh Willie Willie....Willie Willie Willie Willie Pettigrew

Thought that was pretty predictable today.

When I heard Thomson was to be the ref I knew it would be all about him.

Reckon we played quite well especially without the ball. Maybe a bit lacking in composure when in possession.

Comparing the semi and today I thought Celtic had a lot fewer clear cut chances than Rangers had in the first half.

Fair play to Craig Gordon but on another day Louis header might have gone in and who knows what could have happened.

The penalty incident was far away from us but the red card was a body blow.

Now having seen it on highlights it was a scandalous decision. When we lose a pen to the terrible twosome I always ask would that have been given in the other box? I think not. Would a Celtic player be sent off ? No. Remember if a ref gives a wrong decision against Rangers or Celtic they are pilloried in the press for days. They might even get their windows panned in! Give a bad decision against any other team and it gets a brief mention and we move on. So Refs are intimidated and lean towards the big two.

Celtics domination and chances after the sending off are meaningless.

I thought Carson, Tait, Hartley and Kipre were immense.

Grimshaw and McHugh gave the ball away too often when we were in possession.

Cadden, Moult and Bowman ran their guts out.

Tanner looked as if he could do something when he came on but the sending off made his contribution too short.

Any way on to Wednesday and I hope Sinclair get pelters from the East Stand.

Not sure if it is just me, but McHugh was utter shite today, Couldnt pass water!

Grimshaw did ok but was a bit wasteful, think McHugh was the 1 who shouldve been hooked. Also think it was a big mistake leaving Campbell out. Grimshaw and McHugh were like headless chickens at times, think Campbell's reading and tenacity from the start would have benefited