League Cup 2017'18 Next: Celtic F (Hampden) 26/11/17 15:00

gdalli10

Not sure if it is just me, but McHugh was utter shite today, Couldnt pass water!

Grimshaw did ok but was a bit wasteful, think McHugh was the 1 who shouldve been hooked. Also think it was a big mistake leaving Campbell out. Grimshaw and McHugh were like headless chickens at times, think Campbell's reading and tenacity from the start would have benefited

I agree re McHugh. His passing has been poor all season.

I think there will be a lot of empathy from the fans of every other team in Scotland after that.

I'll echo a few things, Andy's post being pretty much succinct and on the money for me.

The first 20 minutes were poor and lacking composure and full of panicky clearances. The one highlight being Cedric's sublimely timed tackle. Upon watching the highlights, it was bloody dangerous and deserved a yellow, I don't know if Thompson was made aware at halftime he overlooked that. Was that in the back of his mind later on .....

From 20-30 we started to come back into things but that died away again for the last 15 of the half. There was only a short period of time that we pressed and harassed them, forcing them into mistakes. However I don't think we played as poorly as we did against Rangers in the first half and pretty much nullified Celtic. The only major gap in the stats was 60-40 in possession and 2 corners to 0 for us.

The first goal, it was a lack of composure again, giving away the ball cheaply and an impressive finish from Forrest. Reminded me so much of the England equaliser vs Scotland in that we lost the ball in the same part of the park and diagonal ball which is slotted away.

The goal instantly turned on the entertainment for too short a period. Gordon's save from Louis was absolutely brilliant and Tierney should have got a yellow and us a penalty to equalise. I don't think it was malicious or dirty, just clumsy and would have resulted in a foul anywhere else on the park. In the box it kinda has to be a yellow.

As for their penalty, the question I always ask is, if it happened in the centre circle would it result in the same outcome? Would it even been a foul? Would Thompson even spoken to Cedric? There is something wrong with a team where such a gulf in talent and earnings feel the need to blatantly cheat to get ahead. That isn't the sign of "unbeatables", its the sign of "deplorables". It killed the game as a spectacle and an event.

Personally, I believe in sporting integrity, I don't like play acting, manipulation of the officials or time wasting. I'll happily call out Motherwell players as much as those of our opposition. Any Celtic fan out there should be ashamed that one of their "unplayables" felt the need to do that.

I can understand the tactics and conserving energy to a degree but I can't help feel if we pressed them they would have looked decidedly average. In doing so would we have had anything in the tanks for the last 30?

If's, but's, maybe's.

Positives: club coffers must be looking like Gringotts, Robbo got a new Ted Baker suit, a lot of our players that took a punt on us were rewarded, while not our best performance we played with integrity.

Negatives: McHugh's teflon status has to be reassessed, Well fans being dicks to each other, Celtic and their fans

• Like 2

Watched the highlights a good few times. I'm absolutely convinced that was a stonewall penalty for us. Completely accidental from Tierney but the fact is he impedes Moult who would've had a chance to score otherwise. Worst part is Thompson is a fucking mile behind the play. He really is beyond incompetent.

First goal is a bad bad goal to concede. The way Bowman worked so hard to win the ball only to give it right back to them, and Dunne is too far away and then flat footed against Forrest.

"As for their penalty, the question I always ask is, if it happened in the centre circle would it result in the same outcome? Would it even been a foul? Would Thompson even spoken to Cedric? There is something wrong with a team where such a gulf in talent and earnings feel the need to blatantly cheat to get ahead. That isn't the sign of "unbeatables", its the sign of "deplorables". It killed the game as a spectacle and an event.

Personally, I believe in sporting integrity, I don't like play acting, manipulation of the officials or time wasting. I'll happily call out Motherwell players as much as those of our opposition. Any Celtic fan out there should be ashamed that one of their "unplayables" felt the need to do that."

Exactly so, G&F: sums it all up for me. Except you could go further and ask, if that had been the 'Well player going down in that situation, would we have got the penalty? Everyone knows the answer to that. And Thomson would probably have booked him for simulation (ask Tait). And Rodgers would have given us all a shaky-heady sermon after the game about the horrors of simulation.

Moult was clearly impeded by Tierney and it was much more a penalty than Celtic's but you're simply never going to get them against the Ugly Sisters, that's how rotten our game is.

Never mind, I'm sure Sportsound will have a searing expose of all this tonight...

• Like 1

Sorry, I don't agree with that (Ya Beezer). Looked like the game plan to me to hold out and frustrate for the first 45 or so. I was expecting to change formation and up the tempo in the final 30 mins, but the goal upset that and pushed the plan up a bit. Tanner coming on at 1-0 changed the game. Wenhad started to get through them and in behind. Gordon makes a great save, Moult taken out on another threatening attack and then some cheating and incompetent refereeing kills the game.

For all Celtic had the ball in the first 45, they did nothing with it.

Pretty much my view of the game.

Not saying we would have won. But we didnt get the chance to find out

That hurts.

Having watched highlights I have to say big Cedric lucky in first half, you see one of angles and he's caught Dembele full on ankle. For first goal what on earth is Dunne playing at??? aye give Forrest a few yards to pick his spot. Penalty and red card a farce.

With Goggles and Flippers comments I know exactly what he means as we were right beside the bois. There were a group that never even watched the game and there was an incident with some of female stewards which was really unpleasant to watch. Also hard to see the game when guys are standing on seats. Especially when young kids there with their folks and can see hee haw. Anyway on to Wednesday and hope we can end that unbeaten run. COYW

Having watched highlights I have to say big Cedric lucky in first half, you see one of angles and he's caught Dembele full on ankle. For first goal what on earth is Dunne playing at??? aye give Forrest a few yards to pick his spot. Penalty and red card a farce.

Lustig's overlapping run plays a massive part in the goal, it's just enough to put that wee bit of indecision into Dunne and Hartley's heads and Forrest sticks it away with a decent finish. Sometimes you just have to put your hands up and say good play.

Ha Sinclair been cited for simulation yet?

Youd like to think behind closed doors the club are going for Thompson. Its happened too often to be a coincidence.

I hope so. As we saw with Richard Tait, at Easter Road, it does not matter whether a player is fouled or not. If he dives or exaggerates the foul then thats a yellow card. However it was never a penalty in my book and that was a game changing decision. To be fair, acording to Trevor Carson, said that Thomson asked Sinclair if he dived or not and surprisingly, the player replied no. On that basis no card was dished out. Just before that incident, Moult is clearly impeded by Tierney and that should have been a penalty and red card. Two huge decisions which could have influenced the outcome.

Another little incident which highlighted Craig Thomson's perfromance. In the second half the linesman on the north side indicated a throw in to us (he was standing about 6 feet away from the tackle). Thomson, who was standing maybe 20/25 yards away overuled him and awarded the throw in to Celtic.

A referee can have one bad game, it happens; but Craig Thomson seems to have them more than most when we're involved. Anyhow, hew wrote himself into our history books yesterday and not for the right reason.

With Goggles and Flippers comments I know exactly what he means as we were right beside the bois. There were a group that never even watched the game and there was an incident with some of female stewards which was really unpleasant to watch. Also hard to see the game when guys are standing on seats. Especially when young kids there with their folks and can see hee haw. Anyway on to Wednesday and hope we can end that unbeaten run. COYW

As I mentioned on another thread.Club announced a singing section, with that, safe to assume our Bois will populate there & not conform. Tickets were available for elsewhere in the ground...

• Like 1

After my rant about Craig Thomson I'll post my thoughts on less important aspects of the game.

I thought we stuck to our gameplan well in the first half and stifled Celtic. That however, came at the cost of creativity. Talk of our physicality clearly worked so credit to Brendan Rodgers for that by taking advantage of a compliant media. In actual fact Celtic were the more physical team, as I thought they would be, and won more than their fair share of 50/50 balls. Some of our lads looked a little overawed by the occasion and we gave Celtic a tad too much respect at times. Our play, when in possession, was wasteful and we made too many unforced errors. Kipre should have been booked for his tackle on Dembele, but then again someone clattered Moult on the the right touchline and he escaped any card. My only concern was that we gave Celtic a bit too much freedom on the flanks. At half time we were very much in the game.

Forrests' goal was down to slack defending but at that point I think Robbo felt lets go for it and began to make changes. Two game changing decisions then killed the contest and that was that. After the penalty the teams' heads went down possibly for the first time this season but they rallied well as professional pride kicked in. Still that wasn't enough to stop Celtic finding numerous gaps in our defence, but fortunately they couldn't add to their tally. My 2 MOTM were Carson and Hartley.

Although we didn't win it was our best Final result and performance since 1991 i.e. it wasn't a drubbing. Our fans didn't have much to cheer about but maybe just maybe if 2 crucial decisions had gone our way then the result might have been better.

Anyone who thinks that Craig Thomson will be reprimanded by the SFA is having a laugh - he'll probably turn up at one of our game sin the enxt week or two....just to make a point.

Anyway lets look forward to Wednesday night's game.

COYW.

• Like 1

I hope so. As we saw with Richard Tait, at Easter Road, it does not matter whether a player is fouled or not. If he dives or exaggerates the foul then thats a yellow card.

Oddly, though, by the letter of the law they'd be yellow cards for different reasons. Simulation is defined as "feigning injury or pretending to have been fouled", so exaggerating an actual foul isn't technically simulation. However, it certainly is "showing a lack of respect for the game", which is also a bookable offence for unsporting behaviour.

Oddly, though, by the letter of the law they'd be yellow cards for different reasons. Simulation is defined as "feigning injury or pretending to have been fouled", so exaggerating an actual foul isn't technically simulation. However, it certainly is "showing a lack of respect for the game", which is also a bookable offence for unsporting behaviour.

Was it a foul though?

That level of contact happens minute after minute all over the pitch.

Looking back, Kipre was lucky to escape a red for the tackle on Dembele when you see freeze frame. But Dembele on McHugh was worse and a definate red.

I dont think we gave them too much respect, the gameplan was obviously to allow the centre halves the ball then close down the other 8 to give them no options, apart from a couple half chances and breaks (which were always going to happen,their players are A LOT better than ours) it worked perfectly for an hour

You can stand off a player and still be marking and pressuring him. You cant be touch tight nipping at heels with players of Celtic's quality as you will get turned and beat quickly. You saw how quickly Celtic broke in the last 30 when we started diving in.

Overall we did well and deserved more. At least we showed up! The less said about the dirty cunt in the black the better