Your Goal For The Club Next Season

CMWellfan

The short answer is "an improvement". Given that it is no longer possible for clubs like ours to improve at a regular organic rate as we did under the guidance of Tommy McLean, I'll be greedy and upgrade that to"a marked improvement".

Better performances will lead to, hopefully, better results and a higher league position. Changes in the playing staff were undoubtedly necessary and they seem to be taking place. If these new guys are an improvement then we should be okay. A bit of excitement with some kind of cup run would be a bonus.

Not sure if I'm being overly harsh, but the last three seasons for the most part have been brutal.

Obviously avoiding the battle at the bottom is the main priority. I'd like to be going along to games and enjoying the style of football and mounting more of a challenge against the teams that have been a mainstay in the top-six in recent times too - Aberdeen, Hearts, St Johnstone almost at the stage where they consider games against us as a sure-fire three points.

Off the field, hopefully the Society can begin to establish themselves as the best option for the club going forward and the financial state of the club can continue to remain as stable as it appears to be just now. There's been real cause for enthusiasm with the signings so far, we seem to be competitive in the transfer market and not jumping at the first offer for players attracting interest from elsewhere. Appreciate and understand we have to move players on to be sustainable and to fit the model of fan ownership - but the new firm approach in negotiations is encouraging.

• Like 2

I'm repeating myself but I think that it is going to be very hard for provincial, and especially fan owned provincial teams, to break into the Top 6 in the foreseeable future.

Hibs, who had nearly 20,000 people at their last match, and are now the third best supported team in the country, will surely be able to recruit enough quality to see them into the Top 6

Hibs announed today that they have already sold over 11,000 season tickets for new season. Assuming an average price of £400 that equates to more than £4.5M. We just can't compete with that.

• Like 1

6th in League and a cup Quarter Final for me would be big improvement on last season .

If you throw in a decent fee for someone in January with a nicely scouted replacement to perk things up will do me nicely.

If we can do that I'll leave asking for steak pies that don't stick to the foil for another season.

Would be nice to shoot for the skies but I think it's incremental and sustainable improvement we need.

• Like 1

I was just thinking with just 7 weeks to go for the first premier league game, do you think we are ahead of our struggling rivals with our signings, as there seems to be no signings for Ross County, Hamilton or Killie, ok Dundee got Allan and a midfielder Deacon.

There is a long way to go and a lot of transfer activity still to come, but does anyone else think we might be slightly ahead of our rivals in the transfer scene?

It's perhaps an impossible question to answer as having signed players in greater volumes and at earlier stages than your rivals may not necessarily translate to finishing above them next season.

I see the obvious benefits of having players in and signed for the start of pre season of course but ultimately I don't really care if they came in on day one of the close season or the night before the first game as long as they are the right players and do the job when the season kicks off that's more important than when they signed.

I think by sheer circumstance Dundee must be behind every team in the league in terms of prep. McCann spent (over?) a week discussing the job with their board, decided he didn't want it and walked away. They turned their attention to chasing Jack Ross, got a kb, then announced the guy who apparently didn't want the job in the first place.

As far as I'm aware though they've signed Allan & Deacon, they've still to clarify what's going on with their out of contract players etc. They've also got a pretty bloated squad that they dint seem to be able to do much with because Hartley was handing out 3 year deals like sweeties.

It may well be the case that TV pundit Neil McCann will be able to get the best out of the squad he's inherited but on a preparation level they still seem miles behind everyone else in the league.

Accies position is no different to what it is every year/close season tbf.

The question re: County is how effectively they replace Boyce (if he leaves) as he scored 46% of their goals last season.

Supporting Motherwell domestically is like supporting Scotland internationally, we've all taken a decision I guess geographically for most of us to be mostly plodding along with the odd scare here and there and odd rub of the green to break up the monotony.

After a few torturous seasons off the back of a few excellent ones you would think we're due a mid table obscurity to build on that in 2018/19 to make a decent attempt at 4th and European football again. Hibs, Aberdeen and Hearts will outspend us. The latter has a manager who has plaudits but has yet to make his mark with his purchases and ethos.

For me progress after the past three seasons it would be nice to:

ON THE PITCH

• Avoid getting a drubbing, so no losses greater than a 3 goal margin
  • A composed defence able to pass the ball out of a tight situation opposed to a toe poke to centre-circle-land
  • A midfield who can battle and compete to come out on top against the opposition more often than not
  • No shy's deep in the opposition half looking like they've just been improvised, please have some plan or purpose
  • Telling crosses that beat the first man
  • Keepers who command their 18 yard box, who occasionally catch a ball opposed to punching or pandering it
  • Having a go once and a while from 20 yards opposed to trying to walk the ball into the back of the net
  • No manager managing our expectations before an OF game by talking down our chances, we all haven't woke from a 30 year coma, we know the difficulties and gap to be bridged

W/S & BEHIND THE SCENES

• The club focus on the big strategic stuff opposed to the micro minutia in terms of manpower and direction of gaining funds. Don't tie up someone spending 40 man hours organising a Race Night to raise 3-4k when that income equates to 10-12 new £300 WS memberships (easily obtainable in 20 of those 40 man hours, allowing the other 20 to be spent doubling the revenue if time and effort is directed more wisely)
  • We have 6 months to make hay while the sun is shining with Les' offer and not one major initiative to capitalise in the 3 months since it was announced. Therefore, more dynamism and ability to be proactive than reactive.
  • Do-ers have to be empowered, not the talkers.
  • Like 11