Your Goal For The Club Next Season

CMWellfan

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
On 17/06/2017 at 5:52 AM, Goggles & Flippers said:

Supporting Motherwell domestically is like supporting Scotland internationally, we've all taken a decision I guess geographically for most of us to be mostly plodding along with the odd scare here and there and odd rub of the green to break up the monotony.

After a few torturous seasons off the back of a few excellent ones you would think we're due a mid table obscurity to build on that in 2018/19 to make a decent attempt at 4th and European football again. Hibs, Aberdeen and Hearts will outspend us. The latter has a manager who has plaudits but has yet to make his mark with his purchases and ethos. Cathro got his P45 and mid table obscurity was assured even if St Johnstone threw a wee grenade into the mix for a bit in the closing weeks.

For me progress after the past three seasons it would be nice to:

ON THE PITCH

• Avoid getting a drubbing, so no losses greater than a 3 goal margin (Other than Celtic at the San Giro, as mentioned above St Johnstone sticks as does Accies even though it wasn't greater than 3, I can count on one hand though so ideal) 
  • A composed defence able to pass the ball out of a tight situation opposed to a toe poke to centre-circle-land (By and large yes, leaps and bounds from 2016/17 but still a tendency to houff with head down opposed to picking out a composed pass)
  • A midfield who can battle and compete to come out on top against the opposition more often than not (For me we were in the mid 40's percent here, shown by how often Robinson bypassed the midfield with his long ball tactics, however when you consider we had the 11th highest playing budget, maybe not that shabby)
  • No shy's deep in the opposition half looking like they've just been improvised, please have some plan or purpose (meh!, still seems a bit off the cuff)
  • Telling crosses that beat the first man (meh! x2, Tait has good stats early on, left wing not so much)
  • Keepers who command their 18 yard box, who occasionally catch a ball opposed to punching or pandering it (unquestionably, exceeded expections)
  • Having a go once and a while from 20 yards opposed to trying to walk the ball into the back of the net (not as much as I would of liked but I will always appreciate and treasure McHugh's against Hearts)
  • No manager managing our expectations before an OF game by talking down our chances, we all haven't woke from a 30 year coma, we know the difficulties and gap to be bridged (It was after the Ranger's League Cup semi, but that press conference was a thing of beauty, the bullish approach was palpable)

W/S & BEHIND THE SCENES

• The club focus on the big strategic stuff opposed to the micro minutia in terms of manpower and direction of gaining funds. Don't tie up someone spending 40 man hours organising a Race Night to raise 3-4k when that income equates to 10-12 new £300 WS memberships (easily obtainable in 20 of those 40 man hours, allowing the other 20 to be spent doubling the revenue if time and effort is directed more wisely) (meh! x3, it will always result in an eye roll that the core 3,500 will be pumped rather than going into the lapsed or local population who have never considered aligning)
  • We have 6 months to make hay while the sun is shining with Les' offer and not one major initiative to capitalise in the 3 months since it was announced. Therefore, more dynamism and ability to be proactive than reactive. (With it being extended a further year I can't see any major initiative since the share sale)
  • Do-ers have to be empowered, not the talkers. (Flow certainly has a team he has pretty much assembled on merit and it shows from the groundsman to the commercial department, it looks and feels much slicker and professional)

Wanted to resurrect this thread now 2017/18 is put to bed and get many of us to look back what we hoped, expected or wished for. I think a few will have a red neck but most will be pleasantly surprised. All the stuff in red, when you look back at the record year for our bank balance over our trophy cabinet and overall progress, recruitment and where we find ourselves could be considered churlish.

Its definitely been exceeded expectations beyond my belief. Mid table and a quarter and a semi-final in the cups were smashed out the park on Saturday.

• Like 2

On 08/06/2017 at 8:53 PM, The African said:

The short answer is "an improvement". Given that it is no longer possible for clubs like ours to improve at a regular organic rate as we did under the guidance of Tommy McLean, I'll be greedy and upgrade that to"a marked improvement".

Better performances will lead to, hopefully, better results and a higher league position. Changes in the playing staff were undoubtedly necessary and they seem to be taking place. If these new guys are an improvement then we should be okay. A bit of excitement with some kind of cup run would be a bonus.

Well I’ll have to say that I got more than I wished for this season. Whether this was down to a higher standard of player or down to a combination of factors (better fitness, better organisation) is a moot point, but the significant contributions of the likes of Kipre and Carson in particular cannot be ignored. When we lose these players, the pressure will be on to find replacements who can make a similar impact.

For next season the priority will once again be to stay in the division.

Hopefully see a couple more youngsters become regulars, and improve on our league position from this season. A lot will depend on how the current top 6 go about their off-seasons though. I’m not sure what one of them we’d displace. 

As for the cups, I don’t think the draw could be much worse for us than the season just gone, so hopefully we can push into the latter stages again.

6 hours ago, Del_Superwell said:

Top 6 and anything from quarter finals onwards in the cup will do me nicely next season.

Yep, that would do for me. However sometimes just when you think you are moving forward you take a step back, Thistle being a prime example this season. If we lose one or two their replacements will make or break next season, Main replacing Molt the difference this season between struggling and comfort. If we had signed a complete dud we may well have struggled.

On 16/06/2017 at 3:30 PM, joewarkfanclub said:

Goals for Motherwell FC This Season

1. Stay up

2. Play more entertaining football

3. Cup run

4. Expand Well Society

5. Stay up

1. Check

2. Still room for improvement.

3. Check. Check.

4. Check.

5. Check.

Get working on No.2 Mr Robinson. Apart from that same again please.

In my 41 years of going to Fir Park, as far as Im concerned, its been a damn decent season. Ok, no silverware, and the December performance impacted our chances of a top 6 place, but to have 2 cup finals, winning 11 of the 13 cup games, scoring 29 goals and conceding just 9 has been superb. And we did beat the likes of Rangers, Hearts and Aberdeen (twice) to get there. Of those 4 games, scored 10 and let in 1. Thats good cup form. In terms of the Scottish Cup final squad that started, only 4 were here or regulars last year. 7 were new to the club and Main and Aldred only joined in January, whereas Celtic had 10 of their 11 from last year.

As for the playing budget, we have the 2nd lowest in the Premiership, Celtic are 15 times ours. Remember they got pumped 12-1 from PSG with their superior budget. 

So the positives, we have the lowest squad age in the league. We had our record 20 clean sheets. We played more domestic games than any other in the Premiership. Attendances are up 29% from last year (saw that figure on twitter). Players play for each other and fight till the end. We gave several u20 players their first team debuts. We have one of the fittest squads. We have a manager who talks the team up and is not afraid to make changes and drop players. We have an excellent team with regards to Social Media, such as the Hartley video, Time for New Heroes etc. The Up The 'Well re-release from The Banter Thiefs gained coverage on local and national papers, TV, Radio, Twitter, Facebook and youTube and helped promoted Motherwell. A CEO who engages with the fan base. The money gained from the cup runs, hospitality, merchandise etc all help with lowering debts, improving the facilities at FP and hopefully some will go towards the playing budget.

Disappointing as it was not to win a cup, Ive been proud to be a 'Well fan this season and enjoyed the highs we have had. For next season, top 6 and fingers crossed, a cup win. 

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, ropy said:

But still paint on the steps of the East Stand?

Fuckin better be and if it’s getting a bit worn looking I will happily nip round with some fresh paint.

letting folk have their traditional yearly rant about it is what this club is about. 

On 07/06/2017 at 8:51 PM, purestate said:

Top 6 with at least 3 games to spare then whenever the points take us.

Not losing in cups to lower league or Accies/Thistle/County/Killie.

Achieve this while also selling 2 players for combined £1m to Eng Championship / Lge 1 sides.

Nearly.  

Absolutely.

to come soon (although Ben and Marv’s sell on probably counts )