Pre-Season 2017'18

stuwell

Was it anything more than a kick about?

It will all be kickabouts until the Rangers game. Even the League Cup games I expect will be trial formations and giving youngsters a few games.

As Robinson said yesterday (and every other manger says too) pre-season fixtures are about 2 things. Getting game time and avoiding injuries.

It will all be kickabouts until the Rangers game. Even the League Cup games I expect will be trial formations and giving youngsters a few games.

As Robinson said yesterday (and every other manger says too) pre-season fixtures are about 2 things. Getting game time and avoiding injuries.

Given the game that they gave Rangers in the cup last season, I suspect the Morton game will not be one for experimenting...

Decided pretty late on to head up for this one, and I'm glad I did, otherwise I'd be tanning my wrists if I only had the match reports from here to go on.

I've seen us humped by Ayr and Queen of the South in away friendlies in years gone past, and in a match where we played 21 different players, 3 of whom were trialists (Kipre, Tuton and Dembele), 3 were returning from long-term injuries (Tait, McLean and McManus) and 3 were brand new signings(Rose, Tanner and Dunne), I'm certainly not going to get myself too worried about a 2-0 away win at Stirling Albion.

Stirling looked sharper in the 1st 20mins or so, and one or two of our players looked to have 'bulked up' a bit over the Summer. The match was played at a pretty pedestrian pace.

I see most on here are suggesting Dembele is the better of the two centre-back trialists, but I'm of the opposite opinion. I liked the look of Kipre, and at 20 years old I'd imagine he'll be easier to negotiate with financially, as well as having a potential sell-on value as opposed to the older guy. I also felt that he had the more difficult shift, with Stirling being much busier in the 1st half than the 2nd as they clearly tired, while also being in beside McManus and Tait, who were clearly rusty rather than being in beside Hammell and Heneghan.

Tutons goal was very well taken, and he had one or two other decent touches, but I'm not sure that he'd be any improvement on Bowman to be honest.

None of our new guys stuck out particularly well, though for me Dunne looked reasonably accomplished. Tanner and Rose had very little involvement.

My motm in the 1st half was yoiung McLean, who played in the middle of the park, and always wanted on the ball and rarely wasted it. In the second half, Bowman looked dangerous and was unlucky not to get more goals, while Cadden and McHugh clearly improved the midfield.

• Like 3

Being " comprehensive outplayed" as you put it in their 1st competitive match together and strolling to a 2-0 win, aye we should be concerned !! wet pants this early in the season is more of a concern, wring yours out and chill.

Ha ha!

I have some of the driest pants around here.

I'm simply reporting what I saw. First half performance was very poor and I didn't even see much enthusiasm or energy from the players. Second half much better but then what does that say about the guys that were out in the first half?

The squad as a whole will have to up its game otherwise we will find ourselves in a similar situation as last season when we relied far too heavily on 2 or 3 players.

Based on Saturday we need Cadden and McHugh in the team or we aren't very good. Lots of improvement needed from the rest if we are going to do anything next season.

Hopefully we see that in the upcoming matches, didn't see it on Saturday though.

Was there a reason Bigirimana didn't play on Saturday? Is he expected to play tonight?

The manager said he was hoping Bigi, Moult, Carson and Fisher would all feature tonight. They weren't quite ready for the last game due to slight knocks or just not being quite there yet for 45.

Tonights team

Griffiths, Heneghan, Bigirimana, Cadden, McHugh, Frear, Rose, Dembélé (T), Fisher, Dunne, Tanner

Subs : Morrison, Tait, Hammell, McManus, Bowman, Clay, Kipré (T), Campbell, Thomas, Tuton (T), McMillan, MacLean, Gordon

I'm not sure about Dunne. Thought Tanner looked useful. Bigirimana looked good too. Tuton looked up for it and had a decent touch. Looks to be a good link up man. Too early to say really, but some reasons to be optimistic.