Pre-Season 2017'18

stuwell

Very positive tonight.

I hate to say it but to me Tuton looks far more confident and composed than Fisher who missed an easy chance.

My guess is that Tuton may not fit within our budget unless someone is moved on fast.

Can we afford to have him alongside fisher, bowman, moult and the great Jacob?

Edited by creaser09

Another goal for Bowman. Quite pleased for the big guy.

Absolutely. Last season I thought he's definitely got something about him - hoping a good pre-season and some confidence and we'll have a decent player on our hands.

So what did you all think? I thought the guys looked quite sharp. I was impressed by Dembele and Dunne at the back, Tuton looked sharp and Rose looks the part too.

Not so sure about Tanner.

Oh and Bigi was classv

Can't agree with some of that assessment at all.

Thought Livingston looked sharper and played around us, without really troubling our box, other than the shot that clipped the bar. Bigi tried hard, but at times looked overly lax in his passing. Tuton was strong and looked more than capable of causing defences up here problems. Thought Tanner did really well and looked nippy and tricky. Sorry but Rose for the large part was anonymous IMO.

Dembele and Dunne (or is it really just Joleyn Lescott without the star trek mask) were strong and looked capable.

Still very early days and keeping players sharp and fit is the reason for these games, long way to go, but the signs are encouraging.

Robinson said it was an op in one of his recent interviews.

Edit- although I can't find it, so maybe I dreamt it. Pretty sure he said something like moult had an op a few weeks back, just started training, and the aim is to have him ready for the rangers game.

Thought it was a fairly positive run out last night.

Few lax passes or lapses in concentration that you'd probably still expect at this stage, but overall I thought we looked well organised and a few players, including the new signings and trialists, impressed.

What I was most encouraged by was the way in which we seemed determined to pass the ball. There was the odd spell where a lack of movement meant Dunne or Heneghan trying to play the ball forward into the flanks or onto Fisher's head, but for the most part there were a lot of tidy passing moves and triangles, and I thought Bigi and McHugh in particular looked very promising as a holding midfield partnership, continually making themselves available to the defenders when in possession. Similarly, I thought Rose, Cadden, Tanner and Frear were consistently looking to get into space on the flanks, particularly when the keeper or defence had the ball.

Given we spent the last couple of months of last season wondering whether Robbo loved a long ball game or if it was just "needs must", I'm quite positive about the way in which we seem to be trying to play football. Bigi and McHugh also seemed to have a good understanding already, where one would go forward and the other would sit.

In terms of the new faces, I thought Dembele looked good at the back and Dunne put a hospital pass early on behind him to go on to have a solid enough game. Tanner came onto a game as things progressed, although Rose was rather quiet. Bigi, as mentioned, impression, Kipre looked assured enough when he came on and I was impressed by Tuton, particularly his hold up play and movement. I might have missed someone, but it was one of those games with plenty of substitutions!

Mention also to Ross McLean who I thought looked really positive when he came on.

But aye, overall I'm quite happy with how things are shaping up. Still some gaps to plug and still some players to gel, but I think there's a lot there to be positive about.

• Like 5

I haven't made either of the friendlies but from the highlights it has looked like Ross MacLean has been played more centrally. Can anyone confirm?

I was impressed with him last season before his injury and he could be a decent option in there to add some pace and trickery with Cadden having the wide right position sewn up.

Thought it was a fairly positive run out last night.

Few lax passes or lapses in concentration that you'd probably still expect at this stage, but overall I thought we looked well organised and a few players, including the new signings and trialists, impressed.

What I was most encouraged by was the way in which we seemed determined to pass the ball. There was the odd spell where a lack of movement meant Dunne or Heneghan trying to play the ball forward into the flanks or onto Fisher's head, but for the most part there were a lot of tidy passing moves and triangles, and I thought Bigi and McHugh in particular looked very promising as a holding midfield partnership, continually making themselves available to the defenders when in possession. Similarly, I thought Rose, Cadden, Tanner and Frear were consistently looking to get into space on the flanks, particularly when the keeper or defence had the ball.

Given we spent the last couple of months of last season wondering whether Robbo loved a long ball game or if it was just "needs must", I'm quite positive about the way in which we seem to be trying to play football. Bigi and McHugh also seemed to have a good understanding already, where one would go forward and the other would sit.

In terms of the new faces, I thought Dembele looked good at the back and Dunne put a hospital pass early on behind him to go on to have a solid enough game. Tanner came onto a game as things progressed, although Rose was rather quiet. Bigi, as mentioned, impression, Kipre looked assured enough when he came on and I was impressed by Tuton, particularly his hold up play and movement. I might have missed someone, but it was one of those games with plenty of substitutions!

Mention also to Ross McLean who I thought looked really positive when he came on.

But aye, overall I'm quite happy with how things are shaping up. Still some gaps to plug and still some players to gel, but I think there's a lot there to be positive about.

Largely covers much of what I had intended to post.

I agree that the positive style of play emerging is very encouraging and to add that the fluidity of those involved was pleasing too. I noticed for example Bigi and Rose alternating sides for a spell in the first half, as the game wore on Tanner roamed around the pitch and looked increasingly the better for having that freedom. And in his brief time on in the second half MacLean also looked totally assured both centrally and when he moved out wide and linked with Tait and the strikers.

Obviously there will be matches and occasions where discipline will be required but it can only be a good thing to have a midfield with the ability to play their way through the opposition in tandem with a fluid forward line that will keep defenders constantly on the move.

I haven't watched Robinson's interview from after the game but I would suspect he would have taken quite a lot of encouragement from what he saw last night.

• Like 1

I think clay must be working out that the writing is on the wall. He played no minutes last night.

McHugh, bigi, Campbell, McLean and Gordon - all ahead of him!

And yes Mcleans number one position is in the middle - McGhee played him out wide purely because he has pace.

McLean and Campbell were a great pairing at u20 level and both look like the believe they can play first team level.

I think clay must be working out that the writing is on the wall. He played no minutes last night.

McHugh, bigi, Campbell, McLean and Gordon - all ahead of him!

And yes Mcleans number one position is in the middle - McGhee played him out wide purely because he has pace.

McLean and Campbell were a great pairing at u20 level and both look like the believe they can play first team level.

Over the two friendly games I've been very impressed with McLean he looks physically stronger than he did and his use of the ball and movement have been excellent. I think he could go on to be a bigger asset than Cadden.

McLean has been really unfortunate with injuries. I'd like to him and Campbell will get a fair amount of game time this season. The depth of our midfield options should allow them to dip and out the team and prevent the perceived burnout that Cadden experienced.

I've got high hopes for MacLean but I hope he doesn't catch Don Thomas syndrome this season

I.e being too close to the first team to let him go but also not giving him any meaningful game time so his development stalls.

Hopefully Robinson can make a decision before the close of the window to whether he'll be involved in a meaningful way or whether it would be best to get him out on loan to get games under his belt.

Is there anyone travelling down and staying over night on the Saturday that would manage to give me a lift back to motherwell area on the Sunday ?

Bought train tickets to go however currently offshore cut a long story short need to be up the road early ish Sunday

Anyone help ?