Pre-Season 2017'18

stuwell

Might be a friendly but getting beat off Gateshead and Barrow is pretty embarrassing. If we were weeks away from competitive action I wouldn't care but we start the season on Saturday. Interested to get reports of the game from anyone there.. from what I seen on live feed it didn't look amazing

My worry is that we appeared to get our transfer business done early and had a good pre-season training schedule (apparently!!) but we still dont look like a team with any quality. Very concerning but let's see on first Betfred cup game. Fingers crossed otherwise another shit season ahead.

We've signed a number of players that come with questionable credentials, including Dunne, Rose and Tanner. That doesn't mean they can't develop at Motherwell but I'd have expected 1 or 2 more quality additions in the Moult/McHugh mould.

Really surprised and to an extent, concerned, that we haven't opted to replace McDonald. This should have been our top priority going into the summer.

• Like 1

The scoreline was irrelevant and simply does not matter. Its how we played that counts and how the team performed in a stress test (I think that the fashionable term these days). Its like filling a bucket of water to see if it leaks and if so where. The fact that we didn't score doesn't surprise me given our starting line up. Saturday is our first real game and its how we perform then will count.

• Like 1

Really surprised and to an extent, concerned, that we haven't opted to replace McDonald. This should have been our top priority going into the summer.

Thought most folks agreed the keeper would be No1 priority but agree the replacing McD should be up there. With a couple of weeks of the window still to go I'm hoping something will happen but as others have said we can't force quality players to come when they have offers from other clubs also.

• Like 1

Thought most folks agreed the keeper would be No1 priority but agree the replacing McD should be up there. With a couple of weeks of the window still to go I'm hoping something will happen but as others have said we can't force quality players to come when they have offers from other clubs also.

Concern for me is that we've spent our budget without replacing McDonald. Finding a replacement is easier said than done, just look at Aberdeen recently, but I'm surprised we've not done more to replace him directly.

I am pretty positive because again in another game we seem to have created so many chances just the finishing hasnt been there yet. However when and if it does we will give someone a doing if this keeps up. My concern is one striker up front. I really dont like that and have always been an advocate of two up top.

• Like 2

With a couple of weeks of the window still to go I'm hoping something will happen but as others have said we can't force quality players to come when they have offers from other clubs also.

Whilst its nice to have "quality" in our team I hope we don't need it this year. Solid, reliable journeymen which the likes of Partick, Ross County and St Johnstone sign will do me just fine this season. More than anything thats a quality that we've lacked in recent years. What we need is guys who make few mistakes, work hard, and can be organised into an efficient unit to play to their strengths and minimise their weaknesses. They can be supplemented by home grown lads with a bit of talent.

• Like 1

First, long time away, so I hope my quote has worked.

Next, I have seen very little of Motherwell recently; the home playoff game against Sevco, then, before that the first two European home games in 2010.

At risk of taking the thread off topic, my observations on the Sevco game were that we were far better than them on the day. So, I am not surprised what happened to them last week, given that they have just had one season in the top tier.

However, I am now living in Liverpool, and, have been to a few AFC Marine games, though, still a lot of working overseas. There's very little difference between Marine (England Level 7) and the recent Motherwell Youtube offerings. For comparison, Barrow are Level 5. So, am I surprised losing away to both Gateshead and Barrow? Not at all.

In my opinion, unless Regan gets punted, the standard of Scottish football will continue to decline. Partly due to economics, and partly apathy.

Again OT, dreadfully difficult posting this with a brilliant network speed, so many requests to third party servers, ads, I guess, so you won't see much from myself unless this improves. Possibly a funding issue, possibly bandwidth, as hundreds want to simultaneously post the reaction after the game against mighty Barrow.....

EDIT: Quote hasn't worked. It was meant to be Ya Beezer's on page 9.....

Edited by Cumbaeyabas

.........Solid, reliable journeymen which the likes of Partick, Ross County and St Johnstone sign will do me just fine this season.

More than anything thats a quality that we've lacked in recent years.

What we need is guys who make few mistakes, work hard, and can be organised into an efficient unit to play to their strengths and minimise their weaknesses.

Everbody Loves ....... ......... , a player like that

• Like 1

Robinson is Baraclough MK II. I was slagged on here for saying it so early in Baracloughs tenure and my opinion is the same here - Robinson is a chancer that talks a good game. Going down.

I thought that from the start, but gave Robbo a chance to see if "his team" would be more aesthetically pleasing as well as more successful. The more I see the more I get that Baraclough feeling as well! The next 5/6 weeks are crucial for him, can we replace Skippy? Will we sell Moult/Cadden/ Heneghan? Are we just pissing about in these friendlies?

Hopefully he was keeping his powder dry for our first game of the season on saturday. And im praying 1 big fucker up front to lump the ball to is not going to be his number 1 tactic this season! Or were all in for an even more spectacular level of shite this year

Not long back from Barrow. Bullied and outfought by the hosts all night. No cohesion, no pattern to our play, the list goes on.

Keep reading of a 'replacement for McDonald', why? It was obvious the current manager didn't or wouldn't play to his strengths & certainly isn't trying to replicate having similar style in his squad now.

• Like 2