Dom Thomas

livivoice

Can't see the sell on clause being worth a penny to us tbh but well done the club for negotiating it in case.

Yeah you're probably right. He done well to get a three year deal with Killie, at least if he makes any progress we will benefit. Lee McCulloch seems to be signing quite a few youngsters who have been on the cusp of first team football at other Scottish clubs, by all accounts he just missed out on signing Dylan Mackin as well who opted for Livingston.

Good luck to him. If he's going to flourish anywhere, it's likely to be Kilmarnock.

Good young manager that is committed to giving kids the chance and playing football in the right fashion. Hopefully with any opening for first team football, will make Dom screw his head on and fulfil his potential.

Hopefully with any opening for first team football, will make Dom screw his head on and fulfil his potential.

Hope he does well and does screws the nut. I generally don't want to see anyone do badly unless they go to the old firm. He's got ability in the feet but needs to get there in his head for first team football to make a success of it.

Interestingly (probably up for debate to be fair...) but he's deleted nearly every tweet...taking out any Celtic mentions and the nonsense that got him some stick on here. New start and all that.

Happy to see him go to be honest.

I can only ever think of him getting one direct assist, he didn't score and but for a few promising early cameos, has been ineffectual in every appearance since. We've also got Cadden, Frear, Tanner, MacLean, Hastie and Gordon able to play out wide and if we have been playing with a back three at times, there's no great indication we'll be using wingers all the time anyway.

I can't see him setting the heather alight at Kilmarnock, but even if he does, I won't rue us letting him go as his career clearly isn't working for either party here.

Interestingly (probably up for debate to be fair...) but he's deleted nearly every tweet...taking out any Celtic mentions and the nonsense that got him some stick on here. New start and all that.

More likely he doesn't want to alienate half the potential customer base for his football school.

Based on last season Thomas just wasn't good enough.

Amble opportunity to prove him self last term playing just over 90 minutes of league football, comprising 4 sub appearances, three of which we were getting gubbed in when he came on.

The end for me was that 14 minute appearance against Kilmarnock when he failed to do anything to break the 0-0 deadlock. Mentioning that Scott McDonald, Louis Moult and Lionel Ainsworth started that match and did fuck all is merely a deflection tactic, one might even say evil and disingenuous sophistry. The blame for that performance rested purely on young Thomas.

Personally, in an age when our youth side win cups and achieve superb league placings, the only way to go is to ditch these youngster with their track record of success at youth level and focus purely on our next signing from Dagenham & Redbridge. Bradley Hudson-Odoi, Oliver Hawkins and Mitch Brundle come on down. The heady heights of 3rd bottom awaits.

• Like 3

Amble opportunity to prove him self last term playing just over 90 minutes of league football, comprising 4 sub appearances, three of which we were getting gubbed in when he came on.

The end for me was that 14 minute appearance against Kilmarnock when he failed to do anything to break the 0-0 deadlock. Mentioning that Scott McDonald, Louis Moult and Lionel Ainsworth started that match and did fuck all is merely a deflection tactic, one might even say evil and disingenuous sophistry. The blame for that performance rested purely on young Thomas.

Personally, in an age when our youth side win cups and achieve superb league placings, the only way to go is to ditch these youngster with their track record of success at youth level and focus purely on our next signing from Dagenham & Redbridge. Bradley Hudson-Odoi, Oliver Hawkins and Mitch Brundle come on down. The heady heights of 3rd bottom awaits.

Take a day off, eh?

Maybe, like other before him such as Moore and McHugh, he couldn't bridge the gap between his success at the U20s and the First Team.

We'll find out soon enough, but good luck the boy as it's unusual for us to release someone that goes on to bigger things.

Quality work as always

giphy.gif

• Like 3

You should have stopped there.

Do you ever think there's a very valid reason why he's only made 4 starts in almost 4 years, under a succession of managers? A reason why, almost 4 years later, he still looks like a boy playing in a man's game when others have progressed?

Whether you know him, are related to him or simply just fancy him, you need to let it go and accept he's not good enough.

• Like 2

Do you ever think there's a very valid reason why he's only made 4 starts in almost 4 years, under a succession of managers? A reason why, almost 4 years later, he still looks like a boy playing in a man's game when others have progressed?

Whether you know him, are related to him or simply just fancy him, you need to let it go and accept he's not good enough.

Pretty much this tbf, Dom played 39 games for the club and made little to no impact and as time went on other youngsters got a chance within the first team and have never looked back. I think we would all liked to have seen the guy succeed but he just couldn't replicate his fine form he was showing for the reserves when he got a first team opportunity. Good luck to the guy.

• Like 1

Good post and you have it spot on. I think we all had great hopes for Dom when he broke through initially, but he was never able to progress the way Cadden has. I wish him well at Killie apart from against us.

• Like 1

I think there's a player in there somewhere.

On the one hand he never really got a run of games to prove himself but on the other hand whenever he got a chance, he never took it/no end product/final ball.

Flattered to deceive a wee bit but he gets a run of games at Killie and he does the business then we might live to regret letting him go.

Sadly, football talent alone doesn't make a good pro. Like every other team in the country we have had our fair share of players who had the talent but, for whatever reason, couldn't quite cut it. Years ago, it was Paul Mills and the boy (Paul?) Tracey - both of whom were tipped to be the next big thing. Then there were guys like Brian Kerr who had bags of talent, but never look interested in using it. More recently, guys like McHugh and Moore who scored goals for fun at U20 level but struggled to reproduce in the first team.

Thomas is probably one of the more talented youngsters we've released in recent years, and I think we messed up his development by keeping on the fringes of the squad instead of loaning him out, but maybe a change of scenery will do him good.

I wonder if he'd have stayed if Blyth hadn't got himself injured and tied up a wage.

Thomas is probably one of the more talented youngsters we've released in recent years, and I think we messed up his development by keeping on the fringes of the squad instead of loaning him out, but maybe a change of scenery will do him good.

Its possible but we just don't know. Its also possible that for whatever reason he's reached his limit. Various managers have tried unsuccessfully to bring him on. Don't forget too that Celtic, with all their resources, couldn't make a first team player out of him. No clear evidence in my book that we messed up.