Scottish Premiership Game 1: Rangers (H) Sunday 06/08/17 13:30

Andy_P

I thought we were really unlucky not to have taken a point. Much to console ourselves with I think but the frustration of getting nothing is hard to shift at the moment.

Part self-inflicted, part bad-luck, part officiating of the likes which you can only shake your head and smile wryly at.

I didn't think there was much between the sides. Some stand-outs on either side apart a balanced game. They certainly started better and did much of which you would have hoped we'd do. In such a difficult game to call it was important to set the tempo and take build momentum. We didn't do that.

Pleasingly we did however get back into it and were arguably the better side in the latter part of the half. I remain utterly dumfounded at Moult missing his opportunity but the equalising goal was fully meritted when it arrived through Heneghan.

It was a concern that half-time came when it did give how things had gone latterly in the half but no, we more than held our own and carved out some decent opportunities. Both Bowman and Fisher's chances late on were almost at the stage where you're so convinced the ball is going in that you're up celebrating like a dafty and baffled as to why play is still going on.

I quite liked the tone of Robinson's interview which I caught after the game on the radio. A fair balance of being appreciative of the performance whilst acknowledging we won't settle for just the performance, we know we could and should have got better result wise.

A frustrating outcome but I think a similar level of performance added to with greater accuracy in front of goal should see us okay this season hopefully.

• Like 1

Well since you are in the know do tell

He had a lodge meeting early this morning ,then a chaple service ,moved on to a service at the synagogue,went for lunch at the mosque and met the knights of st columba . Nae wonder he disnae have time to play football today.

Felt McHugh was a bit of let down today. I've been calling for him to stay in the midfield since the end of last season and was pleased when he was made captain. Can't help but feel he seemed a little out his depth today. I don't know if no-one was giving him any shouts but he was continually caught in possession and some of his longer passes were way off their targets or easily cut out. I wonder if a return to CB might be best for him? Or is it just a matter of time settling in to his new role?

Felt McHugh was a bit of let down today. I've been calling for him to stay in the midfield since the end of last season and was pleased when he was made captain. Can't help but feel he seemed a little out his depth today. I don't know if no-one was giving him any shouts but he was continually caught in possession and some of his longer passes were way off their targets or easily cut out. I wonder if a return to CB might be best for him? Or is it just a matter of time settling in to his new role?

I'm pretty sure he just had an off day. McHugh will be vital for us in midfield this season

Mchugh and Moult were below par but they'll contribute a lot this season.

Before today I was worried about the defence. Henneghan had his best game and looked like a leader. Kipre was superb (It looked like Bruno Alves told him he had a great game at full time). Dunne had a couple of shaky moments but a 6 foot 2 defender with pace will be an asset.

The back 3 is a disaster waiting to happen so hopefully we've seen the last of it.

Surprised Tait lasted the whole 90mins. Enjoyed him getting forward because I think he's got one of the best deliveries in our squad. Felt like he was having to do the work of 2 men down that side and was often caught out with Wallace and Windass streaming forward. Was he over-indulging or was there just not enough cover when the ball was turned over?

Will leave the full match analysis to those who are better at writing it up however quick overview from my point of view was

1) overall if we play to how we played today we will be fine

2) team looks like it needs a bit more time to gell

3)impressed by the debutants. early signs to me show they are an improvement on who we moved on

4) I think kipre could be a find

5) we are still 2-3 players short of a decent squad

Result was no great surprise and I left the ground thinking we could have done better. In school terms a C+ "Did ok overall but with some significant weaknesses and plenty of room for improvement". Disappointed that Biggy didn't play and he was a huge loss. Surprised that Rose was given the nod and he was totally anonymous. Our tactics in the first 25 minutes were nothing short of shambolic and it would seem that we didn't do our homework on Sevco. Tait was all over the place and badly caught out for speed but he knew that and was none too pleased with Cadden and for lack of support and others for lack of direction. Moult played in every position except goalie and main striker. Tanner tried his best and was passable but again was being asked to play right across the park and as a sole striker at times. Our equaliser settled us and the second half was far better although we were always going to find it difficult to score with such a toothless front line. A poor first half but far better second one. McHugh missed Biggy and had a poor game by his standards. I thought Kipre was excellent and Big Ben wasn't far behind. Dunne too had a reasonable game and although he doesn't have Stevie Hammell's style and panache on the ball he's a more solid defender.

I was disappointed that Ross MacLean wasn't asked to fill in for Biggy to give us some dig and attacking ability in the middle but he wasn't even on the bench - perhaps he was injured. Suddenly our midfield options look very limited.

We look to be a shade better than last term and the new guys have still to settle in, but we need to improve markedly defensively and in attack.

It was ironic that rangers fans were "allowed" to bring in smoke bombs but 70 year old guys had umbrellas confiscated not to be returned (yes, it was wet day). Officialdom gone awry and overboard.