Scottish Premiership Game 1: Rangers (H) Sunday 06/08/17 13:30

Andy_P

Thought it was quite exciting but low quality match. The ball was given away more often than not and the final ball from both teams was shite. Finishing was poor.

Besides the first 20 minutes or so I felt we were always in the match, despite most players not playing that well, that maybe tells you something about Rangers.

I said last week the gap between Kipre and Tait was going to be a weak spot and so it proved to be. Middle of the park was poor, Rose was fairly anonymous and McHugh gave the ball away just about every time he played a pass. Dunne/Frear on the left just wasn't working. Sometimes feel like Frear is tied to our post with an elastic band. He just doesn't make the runs and when he does he usually makes the wrong decision. Dunne's balls forward were howling and he needs to concentrate more when defending.

On the up side Heneghan and Kipre did well at the back and I thought Cadden was excellent today.

We should have scored more goals but so should Rangers so in that sense the result could have varied wildly, we could have won, we could have got a pasting. Overall though I felt we competed reasonably well but our quality needs to improve - crossing, passing, finishing.

Ultimately a little bit unlucky not helped by a shocking display from Madden but we just looked like we lacked that little bit extra quality that in the end gets you the points.

Didn't help he was having to do the job of two men. What did Rose do today? Made Craig Clay look a player.

I'll give you that. 3 times I've seen rose now am I have no idea what he offers or what his strengths and weakness are. Physically he should be in be in the Pearson mould but seen nothing of that yet.

• Like 1

Didn't deserve to lose that. For all those criticising rose, and I have too on previous displays, he was the best of our two centre midfielders playing today. It's a no brainier that he makes way for bigi though when the latter is fit / available.

Don't think anyone had a particularly poor game for what it's worth.

• Like 1

If we are going to get anything from these games you really need to take your chances. Bowman’s a hard worker, however, he’s never a striker in a million years. That aside, a fit Moult would have probably taken one of his opportunities. The penalty was on the soft side and I’ll need to wait for the highlights to see what happened. Although I thought we deserved one as well for a handball in the box (anyone confirm that?). For me Josh Windass was the stand out player for them and at times he ran us ragged.

So that’s 38 league matches without a win against this mob which is not something to be proud of. I really hoped this would be the season to end that miserable stat.

What I liked about Kipre and Dunne was there "nae prisoners" style, they will certainly put the wind up a few players this season.

I loved when Kipre bounced through about 4 challenges coming out with the ball. He looks the real deal.

Big Ben even looked pretty good apart from the soft as shit header at Rangers first goal. He has to put the ball out for a corner or a shy, not right to the Rangers player.

• Like 1

So gutted not to take something from the game. Bowman has to hit the target and at least force a save that might fall to someone else. Fisher needs to absolutely burst the net when the ball drops to him, and get the shot away as quickly as possible to reduce Foderingham's chance of getting anything on it. Big Fish needs a goal to get his confidence up as I think he is the kind of guy that lacks a bit of natural confidence.

Thought it was quite exciting but low quality match. The ball was given away more often than not and the final ball from both teams was shite. Finishing was poor.

Besides the first 20 minutes or so I felt we were always in the match, despite most players not playing that well, that maybe tells you something about Rangers.

I said last week the gap between Kipre and Tait was going to be a weak spot and so it proved to be. Middle of the park was poor, Rose was fairly anonymous and McHugh gave the ball away just about every time he played a pass. Dunne/Frear on the left just wasn't working. Sometimes feel like Frear is tied to our post with an elastic band. He just doesn't make the runs and when he does he usually makes the wrong decision. Dunne's balls forward were howling and he needs to concentrate more when defending.

I honestly don't know what's happened to you lately mate, but you really are a buzz kill.

Yes, some things could've been better like ball retention but I don't agree with the majority of what you say here and certainly not in the manner you present it.

Equally, I can't agree with other posters decrying the quality of Dunne, Fisher and Bowman. I thought they did ok and the latter 2 were thwarted by the same thin margins that work for a striker on another day. But of course, if folk want to decide with conviction that Dunne is clueless, Fisher is pish and Bowman is worse than a man down on the first day of the season, then they clearly know more about football than me.

• Like 3

Thought we played well today and were unlucky not to get at least a point. They refs decisions in general were baffling at times.

I think Louis moult is a cracking player but some people need to take the rose tinted specs off - he was generally ineffective today , gave away needless fouls, missed a sitter by trying to score a Charlie big time finish rather than just put the ball in the net, yet Bowman and Fisher get the criticism.

If we play like that every week we will win more than we lose.

Was impressed with Kipre and Tanner and thought Rose came into the game as it went on . Cadden, Tait and Heneghan all played well. Dunne is a bomb-scare can't cross, can't pass and even managed a Zac Jules moment .

I honestly don't know what's happened to you lately mate, but you really are a buzz kill.

Yes, some things could've been better like ball retention but I don't agree with the majority of what you say here and certainly not in the manner you present it.

Equally, I can't agree with other posters decrying the quality of Dunne, Fisher and Bowman. I thought they did ok and the latter 2 were thwarted by the same thin margins that work for a striker on another day. But of course, if folk want to decide with conviction that Dunne is clueless, Fisher is pish and Bowman is worse than a man down on the first day of the season, then they clearly know more about football than me.

As you say people have already decided that dunne and tanner are shite and won't be convinced otherwise. Dunne one error apart was decent and tanner, whilst he wasted possession a few times, delivered an inch perfect cross for our goal.

A few people have said that recently while cutting out the praise I've given from their quote.

Might just be me but I'm not a massive fan of Dunne. He's an improvement on what we had last year but seems very prone to bad passes and bad decisions imo.

But he's not Stevie Hammell so for some without even kicking a ball he was viewed as an improvement.

Personally though I do quite like the look of him. Important to keep in mind that he's working his way back to regular game time also but I think there's a player there and he'll develop well in time.

Both he and Kipre have a confidence and an unruffled air about them, at times bordering on the Krivokapicesque as they nonchalantly play there were around strikers. I do think it'll bite us on the arse now and again - Dunne getting caught out on the bye line today for example - but over the piece enjoyable to see thus far.

A few people have said that recently while cutting out the praise I've given from their quote.

All one line of it.

You never used to be this negative. In fact, I used to enjoy reading your posts. It was your balance that I thought brought some sanity to this forum in the past. For reasons best known to you, you've chosen to become hyper critical. Of course, a matter for you.