Mfc Podcast ‘Off-Air 3’ – 25 Greatest Mfc Post-War Players

AndyRoss

But wouldn't get in our '91 Cup team or '94 2nd place finish team. He's a superstar and a legend, but is he one of our "greatest post-war players" that I have ever seen??

Hence why it was hardest decision.

Could you argue that Higdon would get in the 91 team ahead of Ferguson?

Could you argue that Higdon would get in the 91 team ahead of Ferguson?

I've a lot of time for Michael Higdon, a thinking man's player, but he'd be nowhere near my top post WW2 strikers. Guys like Wilson Humphries, Ian St John, Joe McBride, Dixie Deans and Willie Pettigrew (my personal choice) would rate above him in my opinion. I never saw Wilson Humphries but think we do have to include players we've not watched or the results could be very unfairly skewed depending on the age of the participants. Agree with Fizoxy's comment about handing out hard copies.

There is absolutely no point in giving your opinion on players you have never seen...unfortunately (or fortunately I suppose), I'm a child of the 80s and never went near Fir Park until 1986ish, so there is no point in me giving my opinion on Wille Pettigrew, let alone Willie MacFadyen, as I have nothing to go on other than heresay, or the odd clip. Football has changed dramatically over the past 100 years, and its too easy to say that players of yesteryear, were better than the current lot purely on what their goalscoring record is etc...football, is much more tactical now, less clear cut chances, players dont hang about for 10 years like they did in the past, players nowadays are without exception, full-time employees of the Club and from that I'd assume that they are fitter.

The only fair way to give a reply to the request, is by basing your answers on the players that you've seen in the flesh...we all know, who the football clubs legends are from days gone past, and this is nothing more than a bit of fun and that Tommy Coyne will get more votes than Wilson Humphries is just one of those things really.

Now, a top100 of utter dross, would be much easier to be fair...

• Like 2

Sat and counted votes cast so far last night, we've received over 100 votes which is brilliant.

Fair range of players in the vote too, hoping to have some voting forms in Club 100 for Sunday and on the supporters buses going to County and Perth.

We've also got an away shirt to give away, all orders before Monday 8pm will be entered into that - http://www.mfc1886.com/product/mfc-podcast-off-air-3-pre-order/

I can't think of a side since I was born that Michael Higdon wouldn't improve.

He is the best striker we have had since Tommy Coyne.

Although I would love to see how Moult would have got on in that team as Higdon had much better service than Louis has had to feed off.

That's the problem with trying to pick "best". Players benefit from the style, personnel and tactics of the team they played in. Higdon was at his most effective for us, and a terrific player. I'd probably end up choosing Bobby Graham/Willie Pettigrew as the best ever partnership in my time. Even though Tommy Coyne and Dougie Arnott were in a more successful team - but, then again, neither partnership won the Cup for us.

The easiest one to choose is Joe Wark.

Aye, The Saint was a great player, but just a bit before my time. He played in the same Liverpool team as Bobby Graham (although was responsible for keeping him out of the starters most weeks), and was responsible for bringing him to Fir Park. So that's another reason to like him.

I can't think of a side since I was born that Michael Higdon wouldn't improve.

Agreed...there is a compilation somewhere on you tube of his goals for us, outstanding finishing.

I warmed to Higdon when he was asked about the stick he was getting fron the fans (I think it was v Abdeen). Rather than bleating about it he replied that having just seen the highlights he was surprised he didn't get more stick.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

You can now place your vote on our website, if you've already voted then there's no need to vote again - it's been counted.

The players that appear on the drop-down's are just players that have already received votes, you can insert your own choices if the player you would like to select doesn't appear.

https://t.co/KIELlHeh1u

• 2 weeks later...