Mfc Podcast ‘Off-Air 3’ – 25 Greatest Mfc Post-War Players

AndyRoss

Few strange choices but there are varying interpretations of what makes a great.

Randolph and Boyd are two of the greatest Motherwell players Ive seen who went on to succeed at international level. Imagine McAllister and possibly McLair would have made my list if I were a wee bit older.

Anyway, glad to hear it was a good night and a decent whack has went into the WS.

All very subjective, but Willie Hunter was a Scottish international and one of the most elegant and intelligent players ever to have graced the FP turf. He still occasionally turns up at Hospitality, I think, and is sharp as a tack.

Still, we all begin watching MFC at different stages and inevitably younger fans will vote in more numbers for their favourites.

No bad meals in Italy and no bad players in the final 25, though.

COYW!

The 25 best post war players should probably contain very few from the modern era and be made up largely of guys Ive heard of but never seen play but its just a bit of fun and the podcasts and booklets are superb and for a great cause.

Im not even sure Johnny Gahagan should be in a top 200 post war players list!

The 25 best post war players should probably contain very few from the modern era and be made up largely of guys Ive heard of but never seen play but its just a bit of fun and the podcasts and booklets are superb and for a great cause.

I was going to say something similar but then I thought about it. In the last 15 years, we've finished in the top three several times, qualified for Europe on a few occasions and been to two cup finals and several semi finals. On that basis alone, the players from the recent past have as much right as any to be included. Perhaps we're guilty of dismissing recent achievements a bit too easily...
  • Like 2

I was going to say something similar but then I thought about it. In the last 15 years, we've finished in the top three several times, qualified for Europe on a few occasions and been to two cup finals and several semi finals. On that basis alone, the players from the recent past have as much right as any to be included. Perhaps we're guilty of dismissing recent achievements a bit too easily...

Thats probably a fair point.

I was going to agree with the Higdon post, but when you think about it, who was the last Motherwell player to win player of the year? He was also the first person to break Wullie Ps scoring record, a gap of nearly 40 years. Not even TC, who I would consider a far superior player, managed that. I guess thats what makes these debates such good fun, everyone has an opinion!

• Like 1

I didn't have Higdon on my list but I think to suggest it's bonkers for him to be included is rather wide of the mark for the reasons above.

My original fear was that the entire 25 would be modern era players, so I was actually really pleased to see the likes of Charlie Aitken and Andy Paton in there. But I agree with the post above - it's really easy to dismiss players from the recent past as not being as good as those from the 60s or 70s or whatever but, although there'll be the odd element of truth in there in some cases, I think that's just as much to do with nostalgia than anything else. That's how it works - we all have our heroes from our own "golden days" of supporting Motherwell (for me it was the early-to-mid 90s) and players after that will never quite come as close.

There'll be kids at this very moment worshipping the ground Louis Moult walks on and, in thirty or forty years they'll talk about how no Motherwell player post-2017 came close to lacing Louis's boots.

Anyway, Friday night was an absolutely cracking evening and all the guys there were on top form (even a halfcut Super Sub turning up unexpectedly!).

• Like 1

I'd have Higdon in my Top 5 Motherwell players of all time, let alone my top 25. He's certainly been my favourite, maybe aside from Corrigan but then I'm a tad biased there.

Looked a great event, and one of those ones that makes me wish I was local. Well done to all involved!

Some facts I totally forgot about Higdon above, bonkers is definitely harsh apon reflection.

Jay, any chance of realising the overall voting results at some point? Would be interesting to see where others ended up.

I'm not sure what the deal is there mate - the plan was always to name the top three but to just have the other twenty-two in alphabetical order, but that was partly to avoid an ex-player turning up on the night and being named bottom of (albeit a very impressive) pile!

Now that Friday is out the way though, I'm not sure if there'd be any harm in it... I'll leave it up to Sparra to decide. :P

Willie Kilmarnock played 300 games, captained the Scottish Cup winning side and won the League Cup as well. He also had runners up medals in both competitions.

If you replaced Higdon, Brian Martin, McKinnon, Gahagan and Lambert with older legends then it would be a pretty good list. Moult has a chance to join the ranks of the guys like Faddy, Coyne and Cooper who didn't play that many games but are club legends.

Due to the large number of emails and messages on social media over the course of the last few days, we have arranged for a final batch of ‘Off-Air 3’ to be printed.

Having already donated £1063 to the ‘Well Society through the ‘Off-Air’ project, we hope this will further enhance the monies raised, while allowing more Motherwell fans to get their hands on this fantastic publication.

http://www.mfc1886.com/product/mfc-podcast-off-air-3/

I think theres a number of players omitted from that list that are more deserving than some on it. Its one of these things in votes tho depending on the demographics of whos voting! Apparently it was an excellent night, well done to the organisers!!

Personally Im quite happy Boyd wasnt on it, the guy has done nothing but snipe about Motherwell since he left us!! Never heard him say anything positive about us ever!!