Scottish Premiership Game 2: St Johnstone (A) Saturday 12/08/17

Ocelot Groomin'

Take a look at a few of these goalkeepers sent off in very similar circumstances to Carson.

Normally agree with you O'Neil but not here. In many of the examples the keeper saved an attempt on goal and in the vast majority of cases the attacking player either hit the ball goalwards or was in control of the ball. Wotherspoon neither hit the ball goalwards nor was in control of it. Our appeal, if we make one, may be rejected for a variety of reasons, but I think its strong enough to submit one.

TV clearly showed Thomson on his mic asking his linesman whether the ball was in or outside the line. This was highlighted on Sportscene last night from a camera view behind the goal. The linesman got it spot on. Should it have been a red? probably not. However, Carson should have booted the ball into row Z.

This would be the linesman who never flagged so I assume never saw an issue and the decision given by Thompson who was further away behind the ball and 2 players so he had a great view,aye right. It all right being a bit smug and told you so from zoomed in stils from the TV, and forensic analysis of alleged conversations between match officials, but in real time could Thompson have Been 100% sure no, and as for the red card Google FIFA laws of the game rule 12 as it should never have been a red, I have pasted the relevant parts below.

Deliberate Handball in Football

Does handball in football have to be deliberate? If a player 'handles the ball deliberately' the opposing team gets a free kick or a penalty (if the offense happened inside the penalty area). The rule does not apply to a goalkeeper* handling it inside his own area.

There are extra directives reminding referees about this rule infringement. It does not normally require a caution card or dismissal for a player deliberately handling the ball. The tricky part of determining the intention rests solely with the referee.

Note the line about does not normally require a caption or red card. The bottom line is that Thompson is a useless incompetent arsehole

As for, is it a red or a yellow? For me, its as clear a 'denial of a goalscoring opportunity' as you'll ever see, hes grabbed hold of a ball that a striker is attempting to get on the end of, to kick into an empty net.

It was a stonewall red card.

He handles outside the box. It's definitely a goal scoring opportunity because if he lets it run by him Witherspoon has an empty net.

Its not often I agree with you Stu...

...I've seen folk suggesting it was arc'd over the 18 yard line like we see at corner kicks, and I've seen suggestions that it wasn't a clear goalscoring opportunity that he prevented with his hands outside the box...we will make a fool of ourselves, by running with either line of defence. It was a red all day long

The red card was surely for a goal scoring opportunity. If Wotherspoon gets to the ball he has a shot at an empty net.

This, a million times this. I can't believe folk don't think it was a red card.

• Like 1

Just caught up with Sportscene. I don't understand how anyone can be defending McHugh...two rash challenges.

The other two, Carson is outside the box, and Dunne didn't touch him.

Regardless, some absolute comedy defending from Tait Dunne and Kipre which will need to be sorted.

Normally agree with you O'Neil but not here. In many of the examples the keeper saved an attempt on goal and in the vast majority of cases the attacking player either hit the ball goalwards or was in control of the ball. Wotherspoon neither hit the ball goalwards nor was in control of it. Our appeal, if we make one, may be rejected for a variety of reasons, but I think its strong enough to submit one.

The only reason our keeper picked the ball up before it got into the box was because he feared that, the St Johnstone player was going to nick the ball ahead of him/Kipre and have a free shot on goal...he deliberately stopped him doing that by picking up the ball, outside the box.

I see they are appealing both Carson and Dunne's red cards, I assume they have taken advice from someone that thinks Carson's was not a red card e.g. An ex referee. They could also think of Scott Brown's red card being downgraded to a yellow, this should be a benchmark for all teams, but I doubt that will happen.

Personally I think we could live with Griffiths in goals unless he gets injured or sent off!!

The only reason our keeper picked the ball up before it got into the box was because he feared that, the St Johnstone player was going to nick the ball ahead of him/Kipre and have a free shot on goal...he deliberately stopped him doing that by picking up the ball, outside the box.

You might be right but how would Thomson know that unless Carson admitted that openly to him? He can't make a decision based on what he thinks a player was thinking. To make the decision he did he must have made several big assumptions 1) Wotherspoon would have won the ball 2) He would have beaten Carson's challenge 3) He would also have beaten Kipre's challenge. 4) Having won the ball and beaten both Kipre and Carson no other Motherwell player ie Heneghan, who was also nearby, would have restricted his opportunity on goal. In short he cannot have been anything like 100% certain that we denied a clear goalscoring opportunity for Wotherspoon.

Just noticed too before Carson's poor kick out a St Johnstone player pushes Heneghan, I think, off the park - a soft foul yes but one nonetheless.

From other posters, I believe we have appealed this red card but can't find any sources.

• Like 1

You might be right but how would Thomson know that unless Carson admitted that openly to him? He can't make a decision based on what he thinks a player was thinking. To make the decision he did he must have made several big assumptions 1) Wotherspoon would have won the ball 2) He would have beaten Carson's challenge 3) He would also have beaten Kipre's challenge. 4) Having won the ball and beaten both Kipre and Carson no other Motherwell player ie Heneghan, who was also nearby, would have restricted his opportunity on goal. In short he cannot have been anything like 100% certain that we denied a clear goalscoring opportunity for Wotherspoon.

Just noticed too before Carson's poor kick out a St Johnstone player pushes Heneghan, I think, off the park - a soft foul yes but one nonetheless.

From other posters, I believe we have appealed this red card but can't find any sources.

The only thing he needs to be convinced of is, did the goalkeeper pick the ball up outside or inside the box, with an attacker bearing down on him.

I've not watched the highlights other than our 3 sendings off, so can't comment on any other aspects of the match