Scottish Premiership Game 2: St Johnstone (A) Saturday 12/08/17

Ocelot Groomin'

I was doubtful about Dunne's appeal for his red card in Dingwall and that outcome seems reasonable. His successful appeal for his red card last Saturday was also fair. However, I don't agree at all with Carson's outcome. if referees are going to apply that interpretation of a "clear goalscoring opportunity" consistently in future we could well see a flood of red cards.

• Like 2

Not my decision but I've no idea why the club appealed Dunne's Ross County red card. Clearly bundled over a player in front of goal.

Given that club probably have some ex-ref on a retainer to advise them on appeals and it's £1000 a shot, it's all the more surprising.

For me now consistency throughout the season is what is important, the sendings off by Thompson have to be repeated most weeks now over the season as The SFA have now said this is correct course of action by the referee in upholding the red card.

Similarly with the penalty award by Madden in the first game, I now fully expect to see 3 or 4 similar awards most weeks.

• Like 1

Not my decision but I've no idea why the club appealed Dunne's Ross County red card. Clearly bundled over a player in front of goal.

Given that club probably have some ex-ref on a retainer to advise them on appeals and it's £1000 a shot, it's all the more surprising.

just my opinion but I can't believe we wasted money appealing Dunne's red card at Ross Co. looked a clear red card to me but glad justice was done for Saints red card. Big man better not have a howler on Saturday!!! COYW

Got to agree. Was never going to be successful for me.

No surprised his red from Perth being rescinded though as it was a horrific decision. Not surprised Carson's has been upheld as would have exposed Thompson as the completely incompetent excuse for a referee he is. Still not convinced its a clear cut goal scoring opportunity and by the letter of the law should have been a yellow for me.

• Like 1

Carson should've forgotten about the ball and run out and stuck the nut on the guy.

:lol:

I know calling the Jack one a head butt is a stretch, but for as long as I can remember going head to head and making a forward motion has been a red card every day of the week. The fact Stokes should've gone too is neither here nor there, 2 wrongs don't make a right!

• Like 2

:lol:

I know calling the Jack one a head butt is a stretch, but for as long as I can remember going head to head and making a forward motion has been a red card every day of the week. The fact Stokes should've gone too is neither here nor there, 2 wrongs don't make a right!

Aye but it's easier to rescind Jack, ignore Stokes and delete any records of Higdon getting a ban for his GIRFUY gesture so they don't have to deal with Lennon's suspended ban....

• Like 1

Or swung an elbow in the direction of his head as per Isma Jambo

In relation to Lennons gesture at Ipox.........did Higdon not get a match ban for the same gesture ?

Faddy got a 2 game ban as well when he did the GIRFUY when he played for St Johnstone. It was against accies so that gesture was fine in my book :-)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/30716038

Carson should have just came and wiped the forward out in the same way as Gordon done for Celtic on more than one occasion last season. That way not a thing would have been done.

Its a fair point. He would probably have got a yellow as long as it looked like a genuine attempt to win the ball. Shows how ridiculous the rules are at times.

Looked like two players coming together head to head to me rather than a headbutt. Don't think that ever deserves red cards. Certainly wouldn't want one of ours sent off for that. Seen it plenty.

The footage shown on Sportscene from the referee's viewpoint behind Jack shows him moving his head quickly forward as if trying to butt the Hibs player. I can see why he was red carded and am surprised it's been rescinded. But on the other hand, I'm not - because it's Rangers.